What can you guys do with this one?

I stopped downloading when it got to the 41mb mark. Did you by chance record one of the Mahler Symphonies?:confused::D

Try Soundclick or lightning mp3, most people here use one of those. You'll get a LOT more responses. The easier it is for people to just click and listen, the more likely that they will. The whole album of Dark Side of the Moon is a smaller mp3 than whatever you have.;)

Well, here is an hour on cans - I cant use my monitors right now - it's probably completely craptastic.

Thanks to all of you for spending the time on these tracks. I really appreciate it. NL5, how did you get the drums to sound so fat?

Probably drumagoged 'em... :rolleyes: :D

That is one of the things I did. However, a lot of the drum sound came from the OH's. There were a lot of drums in the OH's and less cymbal than I am normally used to. The snare sound is probably 75% OH. I time aligned the drums tracks. Ran them thru a pretty pumpy compressor with about 6-8 db of GR. I under did a lot of stuff though since I mixed it on headphones. I also put a couple verbs in varying degrees on the different tracks. I didn't use the HH track at all. I also cleaned up the tracks quite a bit. I noticed some of the mixes left all the tracks running all the time. It really will clean up the sound to get rid of all the unwanted noise, and it just takes a few minutes. Like I said, I put about an hour total into the mix from the time I started downloading the tracks till the time the mix was uploaded. I got a chance to listen on the monitors, and I don't like my mix much. When I get some time, and can use my monitors, I will redo my mix.

Well, I attempted another mix - the only problem I have with UAD plugins reared it's ugly head, so it got messed up a bit. I added a touch of automation, although the song could really use more. I think it's a little better, but I don't know...

Thanks again for your putting the time in to mix these.

NL5, did you use an outboard comp?

All comps were UAD-1 plugins, except for a VERY light buss compressor - about 1 -1.5 db of gain reduction is all.

Do you mean that you quantized the take?

No. I don't ever do that. I hate quantized drums. I prefer a good performance, but I'll take a few flaws over an in-human drum machine feel any day. The drummer in these tracks has a few rough patches, and I may go in and fix at least the kicks that are out of time, and maybe clean up a few of the other timing issues. Just depends on what kind of time I have, and how bored I get. It is a fun song to work on, and has a lot going on, which makes it a bit tougher, but it's good practice.

Back