What band\artist influences your vocals?

Mice skating on thin lice...

To be honest, that's a hard question to answer because I don't sound like any singer that I've ever heard, no singer I've ever heard sounds like me and I long, long ago gave up the notion of modelling myself on this, that or the other singer. In addition, there are hundreds of singers that I like and more specifically, particular performances from different ages that I like. For instance, I like the different strands of 'Englishness' that came in the vocals of Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Ray Davies and Syd Barrett in the mid to late 60s and Ian Gillan, the guys from Wishbone Ash, Lemmy and Johnny Rotten in the 70s. But that's only a tiny blip; I love the cool rap/drawl of Gil Scott Heron, the intelligent passion of early to late 70s Stevie Wonder, the sarcsam of T.Bone Burnett, Larry Norman and Bon Scott, the melismatic meanderings of a million gospel and soul singers (ranging from Gladys Knight, Roberta Flack, Diana Ross to Erykah Badu, Des'ree and Marybelle); the Gaelic earnestness of many Irish folkies, I like the hippy whimsy of Melanie, the low level whispered tunefulness of Suzanne Vega and Joan Armatrading.......I could go on for ever and a day and bore everyone to distraction. Suffice it to say, if I like a performance of a vocalist, in some bizarre way I'll hat-check that into my shamelessly eclectic file of what can be done, vocally. But I won't sound like any of it !

There are also, paradoxically tons of vocalists with a unique twist that have pretty much had zero influence as far as singing goes. Maybe it's difficult to separate actually liking a vocalist/vocal from somehow being influenced by such.

In terms of backing and harmony vocals, as 'ten-a-penny' superb as church, gospel, soul/R&B, Hollies, Beach boy, Byrds, Crosby-Stills-Nash-y types are, my main peggers have been those bands that used such but weren't noted for them - The Stones did some outrageously good backing vocals on stuff like "Dandelion" and "We love you", the Kinks, the Floyd and mid to late 60s the Who and early 70s Wishbone Ash. Being so limited in their vocals, they really had to push for something useable and in my view ended up pushing the envelope.
And that's just me. Any of my friends that sing on my stuff bring with them a whole host of influences and styles, many of which I'm not aware of coz to me, they just sound like them.

Been influenced by tons, but currently having a blast practicing vocals along with 'ol
Wilson "Wicked" Pickett recordings. Although he was a rangey tenor, and my voice is somewhat lower in pitch (high baritone), his style is absolutely terrific for soul stuff.

Plus he (and James Brown) had the whole "soul scream" thang down...

Chris

This last year I've been listening to Paul Rodgers with Queen and he's got a strange/very cool way of phrasing things where he tends to "rush" things at the end of a line and it makes it sound really clean, I've taken to doing it when I play keyboards too. I don't mean rush really, he just changes the rhythms so he gets out of there faster.

When I was a kid I liked Burton Cummings vocals a lot (the lip sync is terrible + acoustic grand for Wurlitzer electric?), I love his sound + phrasing:

Why it's Randy Bachman!

Elvis Costello, Eddie Vedder, Tom Waits, Jim Morrison.

Ben Gibbard when I'm in a weird mood.

Last edited:
Mine keeps changing... lately I've been trying to get tone like Gerry Philips:

the brother's got talent!

I remember wanting to be Robert Plant...and I could mimic him 100%

For a while as a teen, I was desperate to hear Led Zeppelin as they'd suddenly started cropping up in all these books I was reading. Eventually, I came across "Physical graffitti" and it was like finding the holy grail for me. I could not wait to hear it. I nearly took off when I heard the opening guitar strains of 'Custard Pie', followed by the slap of the drums and the violence of the bass..........and then came Robert Plant's vocal and I got the shock of my then young life ! Because in those days (1980) a high pitched male voice just was not ! I'd already spent 6 months laughing at Barry Gibb in the Bee Gees.
Plant won me over by the end of the album though. I remember not being to understand what he was singing half the time. For years, in "In my time of dying", I thought he sings "O-map-cheethen.....". Turns out he was singing "Oh my Jesus " ! :D

Depending on the project:

Andrew Eldritch, Jean-Luc DeMeyer, Tom Waits, Shane Macgowan, Whoever That Dude from the Postal Service is.

I think one of the worst things any one can do is try to copy the sound of another singer, for obvious reasons.
With that said the singers I like the most are almost all British.
Steve Marriott, early Rod Stewart, ROBERT PLANT Jim Morrison, David Bowie, David Coverdale, Frankie Miller. I'll throw Jagger in there too, because he has so much attitude.
Also, Terry Ilous from early 90s band XYZ is amazing very powerful voice.

The Beatles (esp. Paul), Jeff Lynne (ELO), Freddy Mercury (Queen), Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Matthew Bellamy (Muse), Zachary Condon (Beirut), Rufus Wainwright.

For the most part, all very melodically-oriented vocalists: I love melodic music.

Interesting how most folks in this thread seem to be attracted to singers and groups because of a certain sound, or style elements, or technique. I have my own style and technique, which I'm fairly satisfied with (most of the time!), so I'm inspired by other vocal elements.

I really like Josh Groban, although his voice is set much higher than mine. The thing I appreciate most about his voice is how he conveys sincerity and humility. You can have all the technique in the world, and can nail amazing notes, but if you can't connect with your audience on an emotional level, you're missing the mark.

Another singer I find inspiration in is Barbra Streisand. The way she uses vowels, grace notes, vibrato, etc., to emphasize important lyrics is nothing short of wonderful. Check out this 1963 recording of "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIxV-yDDRE8 She makes it look so easy!

-Bruce

my "big 3":

Marcel Marceau

Ethel Merman

Darrin Stephens

Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins.

I love the Pumpkins, I really do, but I ruined them for myself.

I was playing Disarm on my acoustic one day for some friends at a party, and all of a sudden, I thought, I'll sing this like Cartman from South Park, and throw in some Cartman lines, and... well... there wasn't much of a stretch there. Corgan really, REALLY sounds like Cartman.

He's a great songwriter, though, but now I can't ever hear them without thinking about South Park.

Hard to pick my influences, but I'll try.

Jari Maenpaa (Wintersun)
Glenn Danzig
Layne Staley
Stu Block (Into Eternity)
Devin Townsend
Bjorn Strid (Soilwork)
Chuck Billy (Testament)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)

I do like some of the higher-end vocalists like Bruce Dickinson and Ripper Owens but I can't keep up with them, try as I may.

Back