What are your preferences for backing up your music?

fris9

I've been hearing a lot about Carbonite lately, but haven't heard anything about using it to back up studio stuff. I use Pro Tools and store my files on an external hard drive, but I had a nightmare awhile back when it crashed and I lost all of my files that were on it. Luckily I had the songs burned to CD, but obviously lost the tracks. Just want to hear what other people use. Multiple hard drives?

I use an external hard drive case ($20) and lots and lots of freebie hard drives in zip lock bags.

I just use the electronics of the external case with the different drives. Hard drives in the land of 10 to 40 GB are pretty much throwaways and I've all except one from friends.

Also I have some flash USB drives and 2 hard drives in my computer so I can backup on both of them.

I use an external hard drive case ($20) and lots and lots of freebie hard drives in zip lock bags.

I just use the electronics of the external case with the different drives. Hard drives in the land of 10 to 40 GB are pretty much throwaways and I've all except one from friends.

Also I have some flash USB drives and 2 hard drives in my computer so I can backup on both of them.

I like your idea of having multiple, smaller capacity hard drives. I reckon that's an idea that I will pursue.

I bought a 1TB external drive for back up. So I recorded on an internal drive, then, when finished, offloaded it onto the external drive. But more and more I found myself recording direct to the external drive. So when it's full, I'll just go and get another. However, I'm aware of the vulnerability of having all your eggs in the one chicken coop, and a lot of smaller ones sounds much safer.

One thing I was surprised to find out was that my Mac (older G4 tower) uses ATA hard drives, and those type of hard drives are in tons of old computers like Gateways, Dells and IBM's. I thought since I had a Mac I'd need a certain Apple type, but you don't. Every one I've scrounged has worked, and nobody wants the smaller drives anymore... today a 60 GB is a smaller drive.

If you're real paranoid, and why not, you could put the zip locked hard drives in a fire safe, and put that high on a shelf.

If you're real paranoid, and why not, you could put the zip locked hard drives in a fire safe, and put that high on a shelf.

Or if your REALLY paranoid, you could wrap it in Saran Wrap first then put it in one of those Ziploc bags with the double zipper thingys..Just make sure that the yellow a blue make green. :D:p:D

2 is 1 and 1 is none. ...2 on the same shelf/house is none in some cases also.

Its digital. Have a backup somewhere else.

I use Jungledisk.com

owned by amazon, cheap (one time sign up fee and then you pay a few cents per gig per month) and unlike carbonite you can back up multiple drives and also use it like a system drive and just drag and drop files to and from it

I also use an external drive but back up everything once a week to jungledisk so I have off site back up

Whenever I build a computer now, I buy a second internal hard drive. I use Ez-Back-it-Up http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/
Its a free software that does an incremental back up. I set my recording pc to back up every Sunday night (after band practice). You can also tell it maunally to back up, like if you just finishes a session. My main computer at home backs up every night at 3am while I'm sleeping.

The most common data loss problems I think you're most likely to encounter are hard drive failure or user error (i.e. deleting stuff accidentally- ask my wife, it happens :rolleyes:)

I also have an external hard drive that I keep in a drawer at work. I take that home once a month or so and do a full back up, just in case the whole house burns down... Which reminds me, I need to take that home tonight.

Acronis true image user here. Incremental daily backups to HD and a hard copy to DVDs once a month..

1.) I have 5 SCSI drives in my DAW for audio, plus my 6th OS drive.
I split/partition each drive...and then do cross-configurations so that Work1 is on Drive1, but Work1 Backup is on Drive2...etc...etc. so if drive fails, I still have my work on another drive.
These Backups are done every day as I work.

2.) Then I have an external SCSI 2-drive enclosure, with more backups.
This is where I'll back up at more “critical intervals”...like when I've done some major work on anything.

3.) I also burn backups to DVD-R....but that's mostly done at the finish stage.

4.) Finally, I have a USB drive to which I copy the same backups from either the Work Backup or from the finished files...depending on what I am working on.
This USB drive is in my possession at all times. I keep it in my laptop carry back, and it goes with me wherever I go...that way, I always have one backup of everything outside of the studio.

I'm also tempted to drop some DVD-R copies of my finished stuff into a safe-deposit box...

user error (i.e. deleting stuff accidentally- ask my wife, it happens :rolleyes:)

That's been my experience. I've also had software failure be an issue. Audacity has deleted most to all of the tracks from at least two of my projects in the past.

And I don't bother to back up anything. You'd think I'd learn my lesson one of these times. :(

Drive1. for Apps. 2.Soft synths and samples. 3. pT session files. 4. for back-up, and I burn DVD of all session files daily. I lost a drive once but never again, long time ago???

it doesn't matter that it's audio. data is data. just make sure you have it in multiple locations.

hard drives fail. i don't care if it's seagate, western digital, samsung, hitachi (though it WILL fail VERY quickly if this is the case. i wish everyone at hitachi would die), it will fail eventually. it's a mechanical device.

i track to a 1tb scratch drive in my desktop, then back it up to my system drive, my external drive, and my laptop system drive.

if my apt burns down, i'm screwed. but if 3 of my drives happen to fail simultaneously... i'm still covered.

I have a large (1.5 T) second drive internally, and an identical hard drive set up externally that is a copy of the internal drive. I find this more flexible than a 2 drive internal RAID because if I want I can unplug the external drive and take it with me.

If you ever encounter an issue where your flash drive is no longer recognized by the computer, you should check out this article on recovering broken USB drives, which gives the necessary free software and instructions to do it. Remember, this would just be for USB flash sticks, not normal or external hard drives. Be sure to follow instructions well to ensure it works properly.

Back