What are the rules in uploading tracks in itunes and the artist gets popular somewher

jerberson12

mucis procedure
I had a young female artist who sang for me a cover song and posted it on Youtube 3 years ago.
I am the producer but just for exposure, no selling of tracks.

She made it to NBC "The Voice".
If she gets really popular in there and I wanted to upload the music we made 3 years ago on itunes and sell it, do I get in trouble with NBC?
I heard that before you get to "The Voice" you sign a contract that takes out your dignity or something.

So what if I upload the music we made and sell it, can NBC sue me?

PS: I know about the royalty fee for the cover we made, that I know how to pay for that.

I've done some work for a voice finalist in the UK who is doing well. The voice here is not as restrictive as X factor, for example, and publishing her work prior to the voice involvement is not an issue, it's just subject to the usual rights issues, like the composers's rights, and her performance rights, plus anyone else's. If, however, you had no formal contract then it's negotiation time, because she does have the right to simply say no! You won't have any right to use the voice title or logos, or use them in any way to promote the sales, I'd bet that's the same in the US. If because of her status, anyone else's work on the recording surfaces, then they'll be chasing too. I have an entire set of classical music recordings by anothe well known UK artiste, recorded by me in the 90's before she was famous, and she has already indicated any publishing of this material, that she considers substandard will be auctioned, let alone supported!

My voice artiste was given some clips from the show to use for her showreel, which I edited for her, and I'm not entirely convinced they had all the rights for it, but the clips are provided on a bbc DVD which is good enough for me. Contract wise, the bbc did sign her up on a contract that restricted much, and promised little. She eventually got out of it and is now making decent money. The original contract terms essentially meant she was doing plenty of work, but not the kind she wanted, or that paid well. It stitched up her performances and recordings post voice, but guaranteed nothing in the way of income.

In your example, you have two choices, ask, and get told no, or risk it and take the consequences. Why not start by asking the person and agreeing a sensible split. This is when you might get the 'no' but best to know before you spend money.

I've done some work for a voice finalist in the UK who is doing well. The voice here is not as restrictive as X factor, for example, and publishing her work prior to the voice involvement is not an issue, it's just subject to the usual rights issues, like the composers's rights, and her performance rights, plus anyone else's. If, however, you had no formal contract then it's negotiation time, because she does have the right to simply say no! You won't have any right to use the voice title or logos, or use them in any way to promote the sales, I'd bet that's the same in the US. If because of her status, anyone else's work on the recording surfaces, then they'll be chasing too. I have an entire set of classical music recordings by anothe well known UK artiste, recorded by me in the 90's before she was famous, and she has already indicated any publishing of this material, that she considers substandard will be auctioned, let alone supported!

My voice artiste was given some clips from the show to use for her showreel, which I edited for her, and I'm not entirely convinced they had all the rights for it, but the clips are provided on a bbc DVD which is good enough for me. Contract wise, the bbc did sign her up on a contract that restricted much, and promised little. She eventually got out of it and is now making decent money. The original contract terms essentially meant she was doing plenty of work, but not the kind she wanted, or that paid well. It stitched up her performances and recordings post voice, but guaranteed nothing in the way of income.

In your example, you have two choices, ask, and get told no, or risk it and take the consequences. Why not start by asking the person and agreeing a sensible split. This is when you might get the 'no' but best to know before you spend money.

Thank you
I dont have a problem dealing with the artist, i know her personally, i also dont mind the 50/50 split. I was only worried about the NBC the voice that made her famous and if they had a contract with the artist that i cannot do anything. like example i cannot use her name to advertize our music track until you get booted up from the tv contest, something like that.

If this is a cover song, you need to pay for the rights on it - Harry Fox Agency - before you can sell it.

Obviously, you can't use any of NBC's IP to promote these recordings. If she signed some kind of non-compete agreement with the show, that's her responsibility to communicate to you when you're negotiating to use the recordings. I doubt you can be held liable if she breaches her contract by letting you sell the songs.

Back