What are the Chances?

I'm all for it too if they want to pay for it like motorists have to..:thumbs up:

A lot of towns here have cycleways that end rundown and unused. Maybe if cyclist had to pay for their up keep they would stop demanding exclusive us of the road.

Cycle commuters pay for the roads as much as anyone else. Even if they don't own a car and don't have to pay car related taxes [fuel,(both fed and state) excise, license and registration, etc., most of which don't go to road improvement) ], a portion of their "tax liability" goes to infrastructure.
No one who rides a bike demanding exclusive use of the roads. We just don't want to be seen as targets by some yahoo in a truck or a soccer mom in the SUV.

Meh. Bicyclists get away with murder. They need to be drained just as viciously as car drivers and should also be forced to carry liability insurance. Think of it as Obamacare for cyclists! :D

Cheers! :)

The other thing not mentioned, is that each cyclist on this special roadway represents one less car clogging up your 20 mph highways. I personally find it difficult to drive my truck and ride my bike at the same time. Maybe it's the standard transmission?

No it doesn't, it either makes room for another car to use the road or allows us to get where we are going quicker hence using less fuel and idling pollution..

No it doesn't, it either makes room for another car to use the road or allows us to get where we are going quicker hence using less fuel and idling pollution..
That's the point- it- the activated idea of someone riding their bike instead of using a car makes room for another car, reducing congestion and pollution even further.

Cycle commuters pay for the roads as much as anyone else. Even if they don't own a car and don't have to pay car related taxes [fuel,(both fed and state) excise, license and registration, etc., most of which don't go to road improvement) ], a portion of their "tax liability" goes to infrastructure.
No one who rides a bike demanding exclusive use of the roads. We just don't want to be seen as targets by some yahoo in a truck or a soccer mom in the SUV.

Not here, roads maintenance is mostly funded by license revenue, private investment and a portion of local taxes, road building is funded through taxation and priority driven via industrial lobby. The day you can deliver my household consumables and business consumables on a bike get back to me....

also if you don't want to be seem as a target. Respect traffic lights, give way signs, bus lanes, pedestrian crossings, the sidewalk/pavement, don't undertake, one way streets, other road users, the list goes on....

Cyclists are some of most arrogant road users out there...I cycle quite a bit BTW.

That's the point- it- the activated idea of someone riding their bike instead of using a car makes room for another car, reducing congestion and pollution even further.

No it doesn't. Cycle use has doubled in London on the last 10 years. So has congestion.

So 20 more cars stuck in traffic is better that 20 people on bikes ?

The congestion number doesn't factor in more lard-asses stuffing their oversized carcasses into more internal combustion vehicles, does it?

No but neither does it factor in people cycling. If you build a one lane highway it will fill up. You build a two lane highway it will fill up, you build a three way highway it will fill up. It don't matter how many arrogant cyclists fuck up the place at the same time. I live near one of the worlds biggest cycle city and the place is nu-navigable by foot, car or bus. Cyclists want to cycle they should pay. They should also be accountable for what they do and for the roads they use and the chaos most of them cause while doing it.

I cycle a lot btw. Did I mention that? Mostly I am ashamed by the attitude and method others employ.

my "car" gets 15 miles to the gallon lol
Who cares? Whether it gets 1.5 or 150 mpg it's still another large piece of shit blocking traffic for other large pieces of shit trying to get to their destinations. And in this context, even a Smart Car is large compared to a bicycle.

No but neither does it factor in people cycling. If you build a one lane highway it will fill up. You build a two lane highway it will fill up, you build a three way highway it will fill up.
Bicycle lanes have their own, sweet limiting factor of people willing to pedal or willing to sit on an electric powered bicycle @25mph. The "every surface fills up with shit" concept only works when people don't have to exert some effort.

Maybe if cyclist had to pay for their up keep they would stop demanding exclusive us of the road.

I ride a bike. I drive a car. I pay tax. I live in a very big city that will eventually, in the inner areas, experience gridlock unless cars come off the roads. Public transport. Bikes.

There are advantages to everyone for separated cycleways paid for by the same agency that pays for roads (ie. the taxpayer) to be introduced wherever possible as it can reduce future expenditure on roads and, when cycling generally (via separated carriageways) reaches a safety level at which people will no longer automatically reach for the car keys, and get out on the deadly treadly instead, reduced expenditure on health via the increased fitness/health of said cyclists.

My biggest problem is that I can't be bothered dealing with business clothes after riding into work, so I gave it up.

It's a no-brainer that investment in getting people onto bikes and out of cars will reduce costs for everyone while allowing them to transport their sorry ass any way that they want while making it less annoying for all to do so.

Back