what are some good cheap allaround studio mics

destorctr

i was wandering what were some good all around mics for vocal, guitar, overhead ext? and what is a good tube mic preamp?

Good all around dynamic, Shure SM-57. Good on vocals, drums, guitar amps, damn near anything.
Good all around condensor, AT-4033. Same as above but including drum overheads. A half dozen SM-57's and a pair of 4033's and I can just about do anything. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Good cheap all around mics- This is a little tough, because cheap mics, while they can be excellent, often aren't as versatile, so you may need to use different mics for different applications. Some of my favorites:
Vocals: Studio Projects C1/C3, Marshall MXL 2001/2003
acoustic guitar/overheads: Octava MC012, Marshall MXL603
dynamic: Shure SM57/58, AKG D880
multi purpose mid size diaphragms: AKG C2000B, AT4033
(the 4033 is a very popular electret mic which is discontinued, and getting harder to find. The replacement models from AT are either more expensive, or inferior). Hope this helps.-Richie

vocals - Marshall MXLv67,Studio Projects C1,Marshall MXL2003

overheads,acoustic guitar-Marshall mxl603

guitar amp,snare - shure sm57

kick drum-AT ATMPRO25

toms-Radio Shack 30-3032

the Art Tube MP is a good basic tube preamp.....although the new Studio Projects VTB-1 is starting to sound good.....purists will tell you that you cant afforda good tru mic preamp, but these are good alternatives......

I can't comment on any variety of mics, as most of my knowledge is just heresay. However, I have a Rode NT1 large diaphragm condensor (though some people hate them), and a Peavey TMP-1 mic pre. The Peavey is only single channel and only has about +24V phantom power, so if you get an NT-1 or such, you'll have to get a phantom box. But, it is a tube pre (w/12AX7/12AT7 tubes), it's a single rack-mount, and IMHO, sounds quite nice - especially on vocals and bass guitar. I've been very happy with both of these purchases.

Chris

Chris Tondreau said:
I can't comment on any variety of mics, as most of my knowledge is just heresay. However, I have a Rode NT1 large diaphragm condensor (though some people hate them), and a Chris

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NT-1, especially on vocals.. It sounds lame

Scott

Audio Technica 4050 $450 vocals, guitar, amps, room mic, congas, percussion, etc.

pair of Marshall 603's $160 for overheads, acoustic guitar

I wouldn't buy a tube preamp unless you had a good solid-state design first. The Peavey VMP2 is considered a good one and it think it sells for around $750.

Grace 101 ($600 one channel) and PreSonus MP20 ($500 two-channel) would be my first choices unless your budget is huge. I believe the priority should be buying good mikes to start out with and then buying good preamps down the road when you have an idea of what kind of sound you are looking for. If you have a decent mixer I would just use the preamps in that and worry about acquiring good microphones.

destoctr, I'm getting a Studio Projects VTB-1 mic pre by next Tuesday.
In the next couple days after that, I'll be posting my results for vocals.
The website is www.studioprojectsusa.com if you want to see info on
their microphones and pre's. Keep in mind that this pre can go totally
solid state in addition to using the tube starved path-a very handy
option!

Chris

While some good suggestions have been made it seems to me the most obvious recommendation has been missed.
Since your post emphasizes, quality, overall vocal, guitar, overhead & low cost you should definitely consider the Studio Projects B-1. In fact consider a pair of them as they can work well as drum overheads & stereo micing of guitar. I can't think of another LD condensor mic for $79 that can equal the versatility & quality of the B-1. At $79 I'm beginning to think of it as sort of the LD condensor that every studio could use a couple of much as the SM57 is thought of in the dynamic mic catagory . Even for someone with a relatively extensive locker of expensive high end mics, these would be a worthy addition for their versatility & low cost of expanding the mic locker.

*cough* sales pitch *cough* :D

at 79 that pretty much puts it up against the mxl 603, doesnt it? i guess not so much since they're LD and SD, but still... i wonder if they're similiar, at all, in that chinese mic kind of way.

shadowfax;
If your referring to my post as a sales pitch your way off base. I'm simply a happy consumer/user :) . Your also way off base comparing the SP B-1 to the MXL 603s. They are by no stretch of the imagination comparable in any way other than price. The SP B-1 (because of it's ability as vocal mic) would better fit the bill as an all around mic than the 603s. The 603s may shine a little more in some instance as an instrument/overhead but is far weaker as a vocal mic than the B-1 is as an instrument/overhead mic. A better candidate for a head to head comparison to the B-1 would be The MXL 2003 (or Mars version V93), though it's about $149, and come to think, it should also have been mentioned as a good candidate to fit the description of "good all around mics for vocal, guitar, overhead" though I haven't actually heard the MXL 2003 as overheads it seems it would do fairly well in that app & it does very nice on vocals & acoustic guitar.

PS - If I seemed a little over enthusiastic about the B-1 in my previous reply it's just that it actually does fairly well fit that designation as an "all around mic" plus I get a little enthusiastic when I find an inexpensive product that actually does live up to it's claims (as most often they don't). It's by no means the best mic in the world. It's just a good value & it doesn't sound like crap as do quite a few of the sub $100 LD Chinese condensors. Also the B-1 is still relatively new, so I suspect there's still a lot of people that haven't personally heard or used it & aren't familiar with how versatile it is. Don't mistakenly lump it in as just another sub $100 Chinese LD condensor. It's rather unique among that crowd. I haven't heard the B-3 yet but if it sounds like the B-1 with the additional polar patterns it would be even more versatile.

Bye Bye :)

Well said, Knowdoubt. For the money, the SP B-1 is a killer deal. Not bad at all - in fact, better on some voices in some situations than the V-67G.

But.... the 603S still kills it on acoustic guitar, IMHO.

Fab

Fab4ever said:
For the money, the SP B-1 is a killer deal.

But.... the 603S still kills it on acoustic guitar, IMHO.

Fab

I agree... And that's generally the case with an "all around mic". It won't be the best in every application but will get you in the ball park. The B-1's helped me afford enough mic's to make things a little more convenient for me. I have my studio ( my house :) ) finally set up with stations where I don't have to move cables & mics around to record different things. I have the drums set up & mic'd all the time with a pair of Oktava mc-012 (overheads) + home made kick mic. I have a hallway that I sort of use as a booth for recording acoustic guitar or vocal in which is always set up a pair of B-1's & a V67. That way I can use the B-1 pair to stereo mic guitar or have my choice of a V67 or B-1 for laying down a vocal track without having to do more than reposition a mic stand. I also have a few dynamics (SM57, PL80...etc) as needed but they mostly stay set up in the living room for band rehearsal. At one point I had the Octava mc-012's in the hall (booth) set up for stereo acoustic guitar recording & the B-1's set up as drum overheads & frankly haven't totally made up my mind which arrangement I like better overall. Only thing with the later is if I wanted to record vocals with a B-1 I'd then have to move it from the drum station. Trying to make life easy without breaking the bank is tricky.

thank you all for your imput but i would like to elaborate on what exactly i was in the market for i have many 58's ,57's, and a peav.caridiod from my live sound gear and thats what i have been using in the stuido i have good hard disk recorder and effects but its time to up grade the mics to make my projects sound just that much better i was thinkin of under 1k $ as far as budget and i needed some mics that would inhance my sounds ie. warmpth, depth, clarity. i understand all of this can be achieved with my recording tecnique the sounds i am getting are great but i wanted to take them to the next level. thanks

Here's my .02 worth from "One Note Joe" as I was refered to some time back.:D (it's 'cause I only have one type of mic.)

I have absolutely no experience with condensor mics. One of these days I AM going to buy one, but with a one-man operation the mic I'm recommending is quite sufficient for me now.

The Sennheiser MD-441U dynamic supercardioid. It is excellent on vocals and acoustic instruments including snare and high-hat.
It is sometimes difficult to place on a kit due to it being almost a foot long (without the XLR plug). I've never tried it as an overhead. I don't get to mic too many kits in my basement. I've used it live before though to mice the aforementioned.

This is argueably the best dynamic mic ever made. At least it is to me. Sennheiser think pretty highly of it too.

It has a five-position bass roll-off and a high frequency brilliance switch above 3K that accentuates about 5dB. It has next to zero handling noise and an excellent pop filter built in. It will also handle very high SPL and has excellent off-axis rejection. This is the creme of the crop in dynamic mics.

I didn't mention this mic before because you said "cheap" and I didn't know how cheap, and you looked like you might have been leaning toward a condensor in the first place. I just though I'd introduce this mic to you since I seem to be the only one here who swears by this mic.

OK you condensor guys, take yer best shot!:D

The Senheiser MD 421U may be a great mic but if it is super cardioid I suspect it would make a fairly lame overhead & hence fail to meet the qualification as an "all around mic".

Well destorctr, your budget appears to be quite a bit higher than I gathered from your initial post, in which case you shouldn't need to think quite as much in terms of "all around". You have enough dynamics but you may want a dynamic kick mic like the Audio Technica ATM-PRO25 or the AKG D112. I'd consider 2 different LD condensors for some contrast & a matched pair of MD condensors such as the Octava MC-012 &/or the Marshall MXL 603s for acoustic guitar & overhead.

On the LD condensors your really should try to hear some & try some if possible. Some good candidates have already been mentioned. You may even be able to afford something high dollar like the Neuman TLM103 coupled with the MD instrument condensors I mentioned above.

You are correct about using it for overheads because of the pattern.

However the mic is the MD-441U. The 421 is a regular cardioid. I never used one of those as an overhead though either.

Back