What amp to upgrade get? (from Ultimate Chorus)

mykie_a

well, my trusty ultimate chorus has finally blown and i'm not going to fix it.

I need something a little bit louder but just as trusty. I really dug the versatility, especially the ability to set different reverb levels between the two channels. I also really liked the clean channel. I really didn't use the chorus much at all compared to my TS-9 pedal. I found the distortion channel was lacking , but only a little...still fully acceptable. I will truly miss this amp!

Now, what to get?!

I have some experience with my brothers Mesa Nomad 100 head through a LIne 6 (4 12's) cab, but find that he has to replace the tubes too often (perhaps 3x a year?). It's not that I am against tubes, it's just that the solid state electronics of the Ultimate Chorus needed a cleaning once . . . in perhaps 8 years? His footpedal switch is already starting to fall apart and the cable to it was just replaced too. Perhaps just bad luck?

Also I find his rig a little overkill for my likes, however, I would still consider getting a cab and head if I was truly blown away tho. The Ultimate was nearly loud enough (or it wouldn't have blown!) for the smaller bar/pub gigs anyway (most of them mic'd thru their house system regardless).

My music is kinda rock meets jazz with some awkward change ups added in. I play a Gibson Les Paul Classic mostly in the bass position (stock pickups). I also never really crank'd the distortion on the Ultimate except for a song or two every once in awhile in a live (gig) setting. The only other pedals (I barely use) are a wah, a mini volume pedal (for solos) and a delay. Here's a link to a few of my bands tunes

http://www.myspace.com/rhythmmethodproject

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into my dilemma , perhaps someone that has upgraded along the same path? Recommendations? My budget is around $600 and used! (read Craigslist) as I am inbetween real jobs at the moment.

Thanks for your time fellas, and yes I did a lot of searches here already :)

Last edited:
Roland Jazz Chorus? (My buddy wants to sell his...)

Crate G40 Chorus (true budget-priced)?

ART AT-26?

i like the crate V32 ... it's available as a head or a combo... but my real reason for responding is tell your brothe he needs to have that looked at by a pro if he's retubing 3X's a yr... either he's doing something way wrong or the amp has isssues...

Thanks, my first amp was a little Crate. I'll check it out. HOw long, on average, should the tubes last? I did talk to him and he said that he did change out one set because he didn't like the sound (too solid state he claimed) so perhaps I over exagerated...but is 2x a year still too often?

if he changed them trying to get a sound that's alright if a tad bit expensive sometimes... what i was worried about was he was blowing them that often... there's no hard and fast rule as to how long they can last... if you ask around here you'll probably find someone with a 10 yr old with original tubes intact...

I had an Ultimate Chorus at one point. After I got rid of that, I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and have been happy ever since!

Back