What am I missing with this Mbox 2?

tubedude

Someone dropped off an Mbox 2 for me to check out, he is asking very very little for it, but all he has for it is the Mbox2 itself and a USB cord.. nothing else.

What am I missng to get it going? Will the Protools 8 software have everything in it or am I missing other stuff? Will I be able to download the software or will I have to buy it from Avid? What about registration?

Thanks for your help. I'm normally not a Protools guy, but have found myself wanting for something different, and maybe inspiring, to get me recording again. I'm thinking this Mbox 2 and a brand new laptop may just do it for me. :)

Help me out guys!
Paul

hardware wise, you have everything,

but you can't use protools without a license code for it.

AFAIK anyone with an avid account (free sign up) can download PT, but without a license code you can't use it.

i'm fairly sure that every digi hardware product (mbox, 002, 003) etc is sold with a protools license of some sort so somebody somewhere will have a registration card which is tied to your mbox serial number.

ask him if he ever owned or registered protools. if he registered online, then his license info is in his account.
if this is the case, he can transfer it to your account for free, assuming you have one, or set one up.

transfer requires you print a form from avid website (google PT transfer of ownership).
you both sign it, then fax it off to avid. then you should get an email with your code and a download link.

You can also use any other DAW besides protools. A lot like Reaper for the price! You could also download any demo of Studio ONE, SONAR, etc.

But, hardware you have what you need to get started.

hardware wise, you have everything,

but you can't use protools without a license code for it.

AFAIK anyone with an avid account (free sign up) can download PT, but without a license code you can't use it.

i'm fairly sure that every digi hardware product (mbox, 002, 003) etc is sold with a protools license of some sort so somebody somewhere will have a registration card which is tied to your mbox serial number.

ask him if he ever owned or registered protools. if he registered online, then his license info is in his account.
if this is the case, he can transfer it to your account for free, assuming you have one, or set one up.

transfer requires you print a form from avid website (google PT transfer of ownership).
you both sign it, then fax it off to avid. then you should get an email with your code and a download link.

There is no transfer of ownership of software, only hardware.

Only solution is to buy the "Pro Tools 8 Upgrade" from the Avid store, or from a reseller.

That is unless he can give you the discs and the software key.

The software key is in no way associated to the serial number of the hardware.

i could be proved wrong, but i'm pretty you're not right there pez.

strictly speaking it is transfer of ownership of hardware, sure, but the software and license are inextricably tied to the hardware, and they are transferred as one package.

you can't buy a pt8 upgrade unless you have an existing pt7 license.

EDIT. this is what the avid form says.
"Digidesign Pro Tools core hardware systems include Pro Tools software and must be transferred and registered as a single unit.

Pro Tools TDM core systems include Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|24 MIX, and Pro Tools|24. Pro Tools LE core systems: 003 Family, Mbox 2 Family, Digi 002 Family, Mbox, Digi 001, AMIII.

If you sell your master Pro Tools system core card (primary HD core, Mix core, d24, Pro Tools III Disk I/O card) or Pro Tools LE Core hardware, the Pro Tools software license will be transferred along with the core hardware from your record, and upon transfer you will no longer be eligible for software updates or upgrades associated with the core hardware sold."

The software key is in no way associated to the serial number of the hardware.
My registration card registers protools 7.3xp 7.3mac and 7.3 updates. it is barcoded and marked with my mbox2 serial number.

i've received the free PT8 update, and if i were to sell the mbox and carry out transfer of ownership, i'd be surrendering my PT7+8 licenses with it.

Last edited:
also worth noting. If this guy can provide you with his copy of PT7 and license, and it's never been registered before,
you can register it as the 'first' user, and because the date of purchase is so recent, you're automatically entitled to a free PT8 upgrade and a bucket load of plugins (although you need the digi plugin ilok for that)

There is categorically no link between the serial number of your Mbox, and the authorisation code you use to install Pro Tools LE. There is even no record of your auth code "belonging" to you. So if you were to choose to distribute this code to everyone on the planet - they would have no way of knowing it was you. This is unless, of course, you put your name next to it each time you gave it out ;)

You can transfer the registration of your software in conjunction with the hardware, however this means jack apart from getting technical support.

You do not need to have your software (or hardware) registered to purchase an upgrade. This is evident by itself as regardless of whether you have a previous version of Pro Tools you still buy the very same upgrade product ;)

What Customer Support can do for you is find out what version of the software would have been supplied with the Mbox you have. Provided that Mbox is registered to you, they can give you a code, and installer for that version of the software.

man, i still disagree.
my code is listed in my avid account. If i started handing it out, they will know it's my code.

this is most likely because my product is registered though.

All I know is when I first bought my Mbox2, the guy gave me all the software and serial key, etc. all in one as a bundle. There was no official "transfer of ownership" of anything, I don't believe... I could be remembering wrong.

Later on I bought the PT8 upgrade (from 7.4 or whatever it was) and used my Mbox2 with it for a while. Then, I bought a 002 control surface (NO software included) and plugged it right in and started using it (after gathering the required drivers, of course)... no transfer of ownership for it, either.

I sold my Mbox2 with the Pro Tools 7 disc on fleabay -- everything I originally bought from the previous dude on .... fleabay.

I've never tried to get technical support, so I don't know anything about whether I have that privilege or not... ?

Back