What '80's guitarists do you still dig?

Yeah Adrian vandenburg is the guitarist from vandenburg

Phantom Rocker and slick also played with bryan setzer who went on to be a Honeydripper (Pearl Jam has a nasty name too).

What's with all the hair metal!!!

90's Guitarists I was and am still influenced by
Billy Duffy-The Cult
Andy Summers-The Police
Joey Santiago-The Pixies
Bob Stinson and Paul Westerberg-The Replacements
Dave Sharp-The Alarm
Dave Wakeling- English Beat
Joe Strummer-The Clash

Jeff

Well, I'm not sure I have any "influences". But my three "favorites" are more 70's than 80's. Ritchie Blackmore, Don "Buck Dharma" Roser (Blue Oyster Cult) and Rory Gallagher.

Blackmore was and hopefully still is just a great live guitarist, a blast to watch. Buck Dharma had/has the most amazing tone, and techniche that didn't sound like anyone else - sort of Grateful Dead meets Led Zepplin. Rory Gallagher probably stands along side Hendrix as the best electric guitar player who ever lived - R.I.P.. Its a damn shame there is so little recorded material that matched his talent. I saw him 4 times live and each time was absolute frenzy, a hall full of guitar players on their feet with jaws on the floor.

And I'll say this about Neal Schon. I never was a big Journey fan, although I liked his work on "Lights" and a few other songs. This summer I saw the G3 tour - Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci - and for their encore they come out together to play, as expected. Well for whatever reason Schon was in town and he played with them for the encore. Not difficult stuff - Hendrix jamming mostly - but I thought that as a walk-on he played damn well.

Robbie Blunt....YESSSSS

I totally agree with Wide Awake on picking Robbie Blunt. He had the best strat tone and someof the most tasteful playing I have ever heard. I only wish I knew what happened to him. If anyone knows, let us in on the secret.

If you are talking about the humble pie guitarist He is currently with the Robert Plant solo band. Im not sure if they broke up though You see there hasnt been any cds out lately and the drummer(cozy powell) is dead.:eek:

I dont know if Spinal Tap or Led Zep is ahead on that stat.:confused:

I didn't know he was in Humble Pie, I thought that was steve Marriot and Peter Frampton, I have to check. Robbie Blunt only played on Plant's first three albums up until 85' after that its anyones guess. He is probably playing in some run down English pub, still talking about his days with R. Plant. What a shame.
I also have to add to the list, Steve Stevens and Billy Gibbons, eventhough he has been around since the late sixties/seventies.

Which guitarists from the 80s do I still dig? As I sit here listening to "Loudness" Soldier of Fortune" I'd have to say Akira Takasaki belongs on that list . But as a final answer I'd have to say"Just about all of them":D
I think the guitarists from that time frame(including the early 90s) were true craftsmen with the instrument. Always attempting to stretch the boundries of possibilities on the guitar as opposed to the 3 chord drop tuned LP banging crap we're subjected to today.
The many excellent guitarists of that era listed in prior posts were true artists.

Back