What '80's guitarists do you still dig?

Neal Schon is underrated. A good example of a great player who's got an ego that's even bigger than his talent.

I second the vote for the Edge. I saw them in 1987 and this year, and somehow, they got better. And the Edge is still the most tasteful guitarist I have ever seen... never flashy, never annoying, always pure taste, and great tone. How he sounds so good with his guitar going into 40 or 50 pedals, I'll never know. The reason I started playing guitar. Lord only knows how I ended up knowing hundreds of Slayer riffs from those inauspicious beginnings. If only we all had names that cool.

Actually...

I just remembered the Whitesnake guy's name from another thread:

John Sykes

He played at least on the self-titled Whitesnake album with "Still of the Night" and also on the "Slide It In" album.

Adrian Vandenberg joined Whitesnake about when Vai did.

80's or heavy metal

I don't like any of the 80's metal gods...so if that's what you mean, forget it.

If we consider U2 and the Edge really came into their own in the 80's, then I'm still giving the man props...

RB

VH, Tracii Guns and Jake E Lee ruled the world...
Buckethead is the king now, just listen to his stuff.
Nothing beat that Nintendo tap scale these days
that eletronic music is running faster than valve amps.

I'd say Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson of "Night Ranger".....my brother plays keys with them and I've got to say they ROCK!
He also played keys under the stage with EVH......I was right
under him in '91 ..... He was smokin' !!

Mark Fitzgerald

I'd have to say Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson of "Night Ranger".
My brother Alan plays keys with them and I've heard them kick
alot of ass! He also played keys with Van Halen
( under the stage) that is.......and I was right under him in "91
and he was smokin'!!

Mark Fitzgerald

Sorry about having 2 almost identical posts. I didn't think the
first made it. The submit reply thing hung up.

Mark

BBB

That was vivion cambell not steve vai with whitesnake durring the adrian vandinburg era. John sykes was with thin lizzy along with gary moore before doing those wonderful whitesnake cds.

I met David Coverdale about two months ago at my local radio station , I cant belive he chopped off all his hair.

By the way durring the eighties vai was with Zappa and david lee roth.

he is currently with whitesnake.

I cannot belive that Joe Satriani isnt listed yet. Ill vote for Joe.:cool:

Darrin:

Yeah. Vai started with Zappa and went through DLR en route through Whitesnake. However, he was also with Whitesnake along with Vandenburg. In fact, Vandenburg supposedly wrote most of "Slip of the Tongue," but Vai did all the guitar parts because Vandenburg got injured. Additionally, saw them together w/ Whitesnake in concert at Alpine Valley.

I gotta check out those Thin Lizzy albums!;)

Also, didn't know Vai was still with Whitesnake. Interesting.

Matt

He was last time I heard anything about it.

But Vivion Campbell was the other guitarist with Vandenburg Im a big Dio fan and I was Unhappy to see that carreer move.

I met dio a year ago and he must be about 4'10" the dude looks like a leprecan in real life:D

my 2 cents (as you all say):

- Richie Sambora: I know there are better ones, and I know there are many many people who think he always sucked or he 'started to suck in the 90's' but can't really reason why (the same for the whole bon jovi band).
I guess if he wouldn't have been my idol when I started to play guitar (wow, I was pretty uncool listening to bj) but some guitarist of one of those new-punk or grunge bands I would still not be able to play more than some power-chords.

- Mick Mars: Not a solo-virtuoso, but those riffs kick ass - and that's what it's all about.

- That Europe-dude: although I always loved that "Final Countdown"-solo I never really paid much attention to him and his playing but I guess I'll start to: VERY nice tone I guess and some nice licks.

- Vai, Van Halen & Co.: ok, they CAN play - but it gets boring after a while. it's nice to do a bit tapping and other diddel-di-diddel here and there... but too much is too much.

who did I forget?
oh yes: C.C. Deville did some catchy riffs too.

Cool berry based riffs but he's a dick with ears trust me. the others (Micheals, Dahl, and Rocket) were so much easier to get along with.

Hey SIX:

John Norum was the guitarist on Europe's "Final Countdown", but he was quickly replaced by a guy named Kee Marcello, and that guy could really play! I've seen him in concert and he also recorded subsequent albums with Europe, and he had a wonderful tone, was as clean a player as Eric Johnson, but with more feeling.

Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Most I like from the 80s have been mentioned.
Right off hand Gary Moore comes to mind.
SRV also, but he'd been around a while.

Back