Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro Actives have arrived.

Simmons

I'll give them a listen over the next few days and post my thoughts a little later if anyone's interested.

First thing...they are much bigger than I thought they'd be....and they're heavy sumsabitches.

By the way, for you folks in mainland Europe, I know a distributor in Germany that might hook you up. PM me if you want the email address. 180€ each (the price includes taxes and shipping). This is the cheapest I've seen them go for in the EU. The French prices were insane...259€ each...shit like that.

FYI

Just to let you know....I've had a little time with these now and they are fantastic. I've increased the quality of my mixes 10 fold because I'm hearing more accurately what's been recording. I think I've never really heard what I was recording/mixing until I started using these monitors. They don't make the music sound good....they show you what you really have. When I play my tracks mixed with these on a real stereo or in a car they sound so much better than anything I've ever mixed before.

I'm very surprised at the difference they have made in my environment.....and the blue power on lights look cool too :)

I hope my experience with them is similar....mines should be coming fairly soon :D

Simmons said:
FYI

Just to let you know....I've had a little time with these now and they are fantastic. I've increased the quality of my mixes 10 fold because I'm hearing more accurately what's been recording. I think I've never really heard what I was recording/mixing until I started using these monitors. They don't make the music sound good....they show you what you really have. When I play my tracks mixed with these on a real stereo or in a car they sound so much better than anything I've ever mixed before.

I'm very surprised at the difference they have made in my environment.....and the blue power on lights look cool too :)

Deepwater hooked me up for $275 plus shipping...i think the total was $297 and its the best damn three hundred bucks iv spent on any piece of studio epuipment that I own.

And yes...the blue light is pretty cool...:)...you aren't the first to point that out...lol...

actives.............i'm saving my lunch break for when they come so I can go home hook them up and proceed to break them in :D

Hey, I just ordered a pair of these last night. Hopefully they'll come pretty soon along with my new Aardvark Q10 (yay!).

How are you planning to break them in?

Thanks

photoresistor said:
How are you planning to break them in?

Thanks

just by playing music on them for an extended period of time

If you ordered them from deepwater it might take a while...it took mine 2 weeks to get here and the fed ex tracking info still doesn't say delivered :mad: , but maybe deepwater fixed the problems he was having

Is a sub important... at all?

I'm looking at picking up a pair of these as well (or something else if anyone has a better suggestion *haha*) to replace a computer-speaker monitoring setup... my computer speakers have a small sub which seems to make a huge difference in the low end, and I'm into a little drum'n'bass, so would it be worthwhile to look into a sub to compliment the monitor sound when writing low-end stuff like d'n'b? Or would the monitors, at 45Hz-20kHz, cover any range I'd need? I like the idea of 'truthful' speakers, but am I going to be missing a significant bit of deep bass using only these monitors? Or does it even matter in my barely-bigger-than-a-closet recording room? Do studios generally use subs with monitors, or just bigger woofer monitors? Not looking to have 'slammin' bass in my studio space, just wondering if the small monitors w/o a sub would lead to 'missing' sounds in the ultra-low frequency ranges, or if it's even noticeable at all. Kind of a niche question since most times it wouldn't matter in the slightest, but if you're writing some music that practically requires a subwoofer to notice some bass details, do you need more than standard studio monitors for reference in mixing it? I know, the question is subjective as hell, but still... anyone with thoughts?

thanx

since these will be your first pair of monitors you are going to be mixing bass heavy cuz the bass is a lot tighter (i'm assuming still haven't heard the wharf's yet, but thats generally how monitors sound compared to "regular" speakers), not to mention the frequency response.

I haven't tried a sub but I heard they were very musical sounding and detail oriented unless you get a super expensive one.

Me I use Big Hometheater speakers to check for bass, but again never heard the wharf's so who knows maybe i won't need them

hey guys i got a pair of these from wwbw.com, they were a NEW B STOCK Item. i got mine and it had a dent in one of the corners and basically they also attached a cover at the front of it so u cant see the speakers... why would they do this?? im worried...

i found out its easy to remove the covers and everything seems too look good inside the covers.. but i was wondering would it make much of a difference if i mixed with/without the covers on. they are just regular seaker covers..

man what type of cables should i use for the outputs??? there is a weird looking output jack that ive never seen before.. i bought speaker cables, will those work?? what are you guuys using to get optimum performance from these monitors? the xlr jack is the one where a 1/4 plug can fit into right? pleasse help

revamp said:
man what type of cables should i use for the outputs??? there is a weird looking output jack that ive never seen before.. i bought speaker cables, will those work?? what are you guuys using to get optimum performance from these monitors? the xlr jack is the one where a 1/4 plug can fit into right? pleasse help

Yep the plug in back is double duty, it takes 1/4" or xlr. I'm using Mogami Gold cables to hook them into my Central Station. Those blue lights are fucking bright! I have to cover them up because they're distracting, lol.

huh? do you mean the INPUTS? if you have the actives, you should NOT use speaker cable. use normal trs cables or (better yet) microphone (xlr) cables. if you bought the passives though, then yes, speaker cable goes from your power amp to the monitors. based on your question though, i'm pretty sure you have the actives.

Back