Help regarding Diamond pro 8.2 actives

Necrothing

I picked up my Wharfedale Diamond Pro Active 8.2's today and have hooked them up directly to my Zoom MRS802.

They are picking up the zooms hard drive, is this because at the moment I have them hooked up by : 2 x phono jacks from the Zoom to 2 x 1/4" Jacks into the Balanced inputs on the 8.2's ? The cable isn't the best quality on that lead.

I've been looking at alternative cable connections and I think the best I can find is Gold Phono plug to XLR.

Also what difference will I hear if I used the Unbalanced phono jack connections ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't know your recorder or your speakers, but I'll take a shot here...

The connectors on the Zoom, being phono jacks, are probably never going to give you a great signal compared to some of the higher end products out there. It's an unbalanced connection and I'm not sure it's going to matter whether you use the 1/4" or XLR connectors (is there such a cable? I've never seen one.).

Get the BEST RCA to 1/4" cable you can find. That should help at least somewhat, but I think your problem is probably coming from the Zoom itself and might have to do with poor isolation of the speaker output.

Do you find any difference depending on how you structure the gain in the unit? I mean, does lowering the levels of the channels and raising the output seem to help or make the problem worse?

Generally, you would want to use balanced cables whenever possible, but in this situation, that's not an option.

Good luck!

Ted

Unfortunately, it's still an unbalanced cable, but it's better than what you're using now.

I'm still afraid that the problem lies inside the recorder and the cable won't do much to help, but it's still better to use a high quality cable.

Good luck!

Let us know what happens.

Ted

Back