• Wharfe 8.2A

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • KRK RP6

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • KRK V6 II

Votes: 24 25.3%

• Total voters

gusfmm

I'm in the market for homestudio monitors, still undecided for which one of these to buy.

I'd very much appreciate your comments as of which one you'd prefer. Roughly, a pair of KRK RP6s can be purchased for about $400 whereas the Wharfies go for $300.

One last thing, is there much difference between a KRK RP and V II series? The Vs go for about $200 or so more and they have a few "higher grade" features such as better workmanship, materials, power admin, etc. But how about sonically?

Thx a bunch in advance!

Last edited:
I have the Wharfedales but considered the KRK's. Either way, you'd be getting some good monitors. Any way for you to audition them?

FWIW, I'm expecting a KRK sub (RP-10) any minute now.

which comes first the....

the chicken or the egg.... the acoustics or the monitors??

I dont have multiple speakers per se,
the 8" seem to be popular all around...tracking, listening, mixing.
it seems logical for small untamed bedrooms= 6.5" is a great Nearfield.
(3ft~away)

the 8" may offer some better bass for tracking and would probably
satisfy gearlust for a sub.

i don't get how the hell everyone is getting subs to work in a small HR room?
my understanding is the main intention for nearfield is to eliminate the
room for us homerecording drywall gearheads....sub would be all over the place for mixing?

really should take some home and try 'em....unless your in hurry.

the Wharfs are hard to beat, i been looking for a few weeks.
At Deepwaters HR special price....you can't hardly get passives for $300~!!

and maybe some $$$ leftover for wall-hangings?

i live in mexico, and i was thinking very hard in getting the wardfedales(but shipping and taxes scares me a lot even at deepwater price i know my final price gonna be like 600 at my home), but i had a chance to go to sandiego,
and i listen all the monitors they had there for about 3 or 4 hours, with some resting time.

and i read almost all compare the warfys with the KRK rockits models.

well i'm bad on english, so i can tell u i get the KRK V6 V2 at 600 USD tax include.

and for me sound great i have a B&W 602, and KRK are in the same category for me.

for me KRK V6 V2 kill the Makies 6 inches model.

so for my 600 limit the KRK v6 v2 was the winners, and the guy at GC was very nice thae price for the pair including taxes was like 770, so he got me a nice price at 600.

but i told u 1 think, someday i gonna get a pair of wharfys, i'm still interested.

6.5" actives

GC is having the RP6's at $149ea.
someone mentioned clearing out for new models..sounds right.

maybe you can side/side 'em for us?

Coolcat,

I ordered Wharfedale's, they should get here in about a week or so. I also noticed KRK RP8 are $199/each now so I was tempted but I was a bit hesitant to get 8" for my home studio which, although being decently acoustically treated, is still a 10x12 small room. One other thing is that not much people speaks up about KRKs, but Whafies have been tremendously praised. So on both price and references, they won the deal to me.

A little late now, but I've just been comparing some KRK RP6 and Wharfedale 8.2's in my space.

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Wharfedale at all, but to my ears, in my space, with the speakers I was sent, I prefer the RP6's. I found them to be very similar sounding (in fact, some very quick checks with a terrible mic gave very very similar frequency response graphs).

I felt the RP6's had a slightly more realistic sounding bass, and clearer highs--they were basically indistinguishable to me in the mids. They also seemed to have very similar but slightly wider imaging than the 8.2's (I'm not sure if that's technically good, bad or indifferent, but I feel I prefer it). Finally, I prefer the way their slotted port handles, thought the 8.2's only started blowing air around at very high volumes, and it wasn't as though I thought they were distorting or anything (I don't know much about port chuffing, I just know it can be an issue).

Of course, they also will cost me about $60 more for the pair, and I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to monitors. So as I say, a close call--even if you perhaps would have preferred the RP6's, you just got something which I think is very similar, at a cheaper price, so it's all good.

Dagoob said:
A little late now, but I've just been comparing some KRK RP6 and Wharfedale 8.2's in my space.QUOTE]

any chance you did a comparison the RP8's to the RP6's?

my room is a bit small and the RP8's are quiete huge!
their so damn sexy tho. :)

it's that Yellow cone....it gets you...even my kid came in and
said "those look awesome!!"

Sorry no. The only 8"ers I've had a listen to (in a local store) are the truths. Allow me to ramble about what I have heard, and how I felt about them:

M-Audio DX4 (or it's earlier equivalent, not sure which) -- These where quickly blown out of the running by the rest.

Samson Resolve 50a -- better but quickly moved on (speakers were in bad condition, which probably made them sound bad)

M-Audio SP-5B (This is the model before the BX5) -- Out of what I'd heard, I liked them a lot. Couldn't decide between these and:

Truth B2031A -- Sounded more "fake" to me than the M-Audio's, but were clearly a bigger speaker.

That was all the monitors which were available for me to audition, until the guy checked to see if he had anything more in the back--which was the Wharfedale 8.2s and the Event PS6 (model before TR6). They both blew everything else I'd heard out of the running, but I again couldn't make up my mind from that comparison. The Event's seem to not have enough highs, but they made the 8.2s almost seem like they had too much highs when I switched back to them.

I'd gone into the shop after researching and settling mentally on the KRKs or Wharfedales, and wanting a new, closed box purchase. What I heard that afternoon confirmed the 8.2s as a good contender, so after reading up a little on the Event PS6 (which are discontinued anyway), I ended up ordering the 8.2s and RP6s for a more in-depth comparison :)

Looking back I find it ironic that at one point a pair of 8.2s sounded like they had almost too much highs, and a different pair in a different place (and A/B'ed against a different make) sound like they don't have quite enough highs. Just goes to show how much various factors can effect the whole decision process--at least the KRKs have the option to turn those highs down.

My current room (not all studio space, mind you) is about 16' by 20' and the 6" sized monitors seem to fit perfectly. I can always upgrade with a sub if I feel the need in the future.

While I don't think it's the right reason to buy a speaker, the yellow cone definitely has tons of appeal, both my wife, and an aunt-in-law (!) have commented on them looking great--and I'll be honest, I think they make the 8.2's look a bit plain (though the blue light is redeeming if not bright).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. As I said, my Wharfies are on their way.

Quite frankly, I knew the decision was going to be between the Wharfies and the KRK V6 II. However, no much people had vocalized about them (the V6), so I decided to play safe and on the lesser expensive side. However, still wondering whether there is any noticeable difference between the two KRK models.

There is a WORLD of difference between the RP's and V II's. I've listened to both up against each other...I listened to the RP's first and said to myself...these sound good...pretty clear, defined, nice solid bass response. Then I listened to the VII's...and wow! Everything just came to life and made the Rp's sound like shit...I could hear so many new things in the music i was listening to. I believe that the biggest component difference is the Kevlar driver...it makes a huge difference. I'm planning on picking up a pair of V4's (little guys with a HUGE sound) in a few months. When I turned on the v4's at GC they were sitting on top of a set of Mackie 8"ers and at first I thought that I had connected the wrong speakers because the sound was so full and loud and clear for something with a 4" cone. Pretty incredible if you ask me...i had never heard music so clearly before. On the whole... VII's kick ass

I agree Mike. The V series is much nicer to my ears as well. But if you like the V series, wait till you hear the next step up. Even in the KRK line for that matter. It never ends :(

Wharfies vs. Mackie HR 624's

Hey Guys,

I've been reading so many great posts about the Wharfies on this site. I'm just curious if any of you had compared them to the Mackie HR 624's?

Would this even be a fair comparison? (almost $500 difference) No dealer close to me carry the Wharfies so I cannot make a comparison. I do like the Mackie 624's and have A/B'd them versus KRK RP6, Event TR6 & SP6,and even Blue Sky Prodesk (which is a little unfair due to the sub) which I liked as well, but I don't want to go 2.1 surround set up since I have heard so many issues about incorrect sub placement, especially in a small room (15x13).

To my ears the 624's were cleaner, easier on the ears, better mids and produced a much more accurate reproduction of the nylon guitars than the KRK RP6,Event TR6, Event SP6 (nice, but too bassy for my taste). I am buying in a week so it would be great to get some of your knowledgeable feedback.

BTW, my budget is around $1500 and I will mixing primarily - flamenco guitar (nylon string) latin percussion, acoustic music in general. I am very experienced with the sound of flamenco guitars, so after hearing the Mackie 624's I was pretty damn impressed of the reproduction, but if I can save $500 by getting the Wharfies that would be very nice as well :D

Thanks,
Don

My stock reccomendation these days is Dynaudio. $1500 can get you apair of BM15's and a hafler amp, or maybe even a used Bryston. I have yet to hear speakers withing about twice their price range compare well.

xstatic said:
My stock reccomendation these days is Dynaudio. $1500 can get you apair of BM15's and a hafler amp, or maybe even a used Bryston. I have yet to hear speakers withing about twice their price range compare well.

What do you think about the BM5A's? They're under a grand a pair, they're active, have 6.9" LFDs and they have "the same" Dynaudio custom drivers. They seem like they might have potential, but who knows....all these shootouts have made me a skeptic.

Back