Weird ringing noise .... cant track it down. ???

formerlyfzfile

Hi all. Havent posted in quite a while. But I am hoping someone can help me track down this noise I am having.

I have recently brought back my ADAT HD rig back to my place for mixing down some tracks recorded at our practice space.

The tracking/monitoring was done on a Peavy board .... i know i know ... but this thing was actaully dead quiet and it was just for playback monitoring and overdub monitoring.

Anywho .... on playback there through the Peavy there was no noise problem going on ..... except i ran the kick a bit too hot through a 2108 and its a bit "fuzzed" when solo'd but not really noticable in the mix.

So at my place i have the ADAT lightpiped to my DA-7 board.

There is a slight high piched "ringing" sound going on ..... levels based ... the louder bass parts make it worse .... and its nonexistent in the very quiet parts.

Its not a physical vibration from the room because its comming right from the speakers (20/20's)..... i still went and taped down everything just to make double sure.

At first I thought I had a blown tweater but its comming from both speakers.

I have tried switching cables and outputs from the board ... MON A / MON B / MAIN L/R / REC out and its still there .... although it does seem to be slightly less present through the MON A outs.

The monitors are run through an older peavy power amp.

Again this sound (same 20/20 monitors and power amp) was not present at the other space through the other board .... and I have not had this problem with the DA-7 before .... although the DA-7 has been unused for about 2 months while recording at the practice space.

Any ideas on how I can track this down????

Thanks in advance.

-mike

Have you tried soloing each track and see if you hear the ringing on a specific one? Are you using any kind of processor (eq, compressor, etc) on the channels?

You say you are useing an older Peavy amp. The ring might be comeing from the amp. I had the same problem from an old peavy amp I use. Try a working CD player or something else and run it through the amp into a driffrent pair of speakers. The worst that could happen is you could find out that the ring isn't from the amp.

Thanks guys. I double checked and it doesnt come from all tracks but all of the guitars and a little on the vocals.

I will definitely try running a seperate source through the poweramp to check it out.

- mike

Back