Weight Loss

philbagg

Just Killing Time
Wouldn't mind getting into shape and losin a few pounds. Kinda hard when my job/hobby (music) mainly involves sitting at a computer, mixing, or teaching, or standing for just a few hours a week at gigs and rehearsals.

I've got bad eating and sleeping habits, which have enough of an impact on my mental health as well as my physical health and image (which consequentially affects my confidence). The hard part is motivation. Why go through the bother of making a healthy lunch the night before and trying to come up with healthy meals for the rest of the day when I can eat crap that fills me and is easy to make? And why go for a walk when I can sit on my arse instead? "I'll start tomorrow" :rolleyes:

Anybody have any motivational tips? Success stories? C'mon, spill! :)

Wouldn't mind getting into shape and losin a few pounds. Kinda hard when my job/hobby (music) mainly involves sitting at a computer, mixing, or teaching, or standing for just a few hours a week at gigs and rehearsals.

I've got bad eating and sleeping habits, which have enough of an impact on my mental health as well as my physical health and image (which consequentially affects my confidence). The hard part is motivation. Why go through the bother of making a healthy lunch the night before and trying to come up with healthy meals for the rest of the day when I can eat crap that fills me and is easy to make? And why go for a walk when I can sit on my arse instead? "I'll start tomorrow" :rolleyes:

Anybody have any motivational tips? Success stories? C'mon, spill! :)

I go to the gym at least five times a week...I started around 5 years ago...high blood pressure (which seems strange as Im such a calm person) and getting very overweight

blood pressure is fine now (no salt helps) and my weight is nearer what is should be...but none of that is the real benefit...I never realised how good you can feel with exercise, my bad sleeping habits evaporated, I have energy all the time..I like cycling, walking swimming..everything I used to loathe, and generally happier..body image has a bit to do with it but that run down feeling I always seemed to have has long gone

days I miss it are bad days..I just wish I could do it earlier in the day as I cant before noon..yet

Highly recommended dude..Im 43 yet I think I may be fitter now than I have been since a teen..the hardest part is starting, you just have to have that jump of a cliff commitment..like just fucking do it grrr kinda thing going on, but once you have it you'll wonder how you got by before..

I go to the gym at least five times a week...I started around 5 years ago...high blood pressure (which seems strange as Im such a calm person) and getting very overweight

blood pressure is fine now (no salt helps) and my weight is nearer what is should be...but none of that is the real benefit...I never realised how good you can feel with exercise, my bad sleeping habits evaporated, I have energy all the time..I like cycling, walking swimming..everything I used to loathe, and generally happier..body image has a bit to do with it but that run down feeling I always seemed to have has long gone

days I miss it are bad days..I just wish I could do it earlier in the day as I cant before noon..yet

Highly recommended dude..Im 43 yet I think I may be fitter now than I have been since a teen..the hardest part is starting, you just have to have that jump of a cliff commitment..like just fucking do it grrr kinda thing going on, but once you have it you'll wonder how you got by before..

Yeah I'm lovin the sound of the energy part. I'm constantly tired. I put it down to said habits, and sometimes when I'm just feelin low (has a lot to do with this time of year, but a lot because I'm very insecure and have low self esteem - probably once again due to said habits). The thing that gets me is that I know exactly what I have to do to sort these things out, and I know how good it will feel to get it going. But if that's not enough to motivate me... what is?

I've tried quite a few times to eat more healthfully and exercise, yet I fall off the wagon because I don't see any improvement straight away and because it's just easier at the time. "Hard work pays off later but procrastination pays off now" etc. :p And then to think to myself "if I had kept to it back then, I'd be over the biggest hurdles by now"... As you said, it's just getting into it. If you were in my position again, what would you do/tell yourself to push yourself through the starting point?

By the way, delighted to hear your success story, congratulations KC :)

Yeah I'm lovin the sound of the energy part. I'm constantly tired. I put it down to said habits, and sometimes when I'm just feelin low (has a lot to do with this time of year, but a lot because I'm very insecure and have low self esteem - probably once again due to said habits). The thing that gets me is that I know exactly what I have to do to sort these things out, and I know how good it will feel to get it going. But if that's not enough to motivate me... what is?

I've tried quite a few times to eat more healthfully and exercise, yet I fall off the wagon because I don't see any improvement straight away and because it's just easier at the time. "Hard work pays off later but procrastination pays off now" etc. :p And then to think to myself "if I had kept to it back then, I'd be over the biggest hurdles by now"... As you said, it's just getting into it. If you were in my position again, what would you do/tell yourself to push yourself through the starting point?

By the way, delighted to hear your success story, congratulations KC :)

its all part of the same circle...mine is no success story, I just want to live longer man, I dont understand why folks just get fat etc, its only food and exercise, the side benefits were unexpected and welcome...its much harder at your age but trust me everything that bothers you is all part of the same circle you just have to break that circle and make it a straight line with a beginning and an end...

you just have to do it and not feel stupid or talk yourself out it

I hate flying, like a phobia, but I do it all the time..across continents..the benefits outweigh the fear of jumping off that cliff when I walk on board that plane..so make a decision dude..and jump ;)

ya lazy fuck :D

Try salads for a month. No soft drinks at all, even diet. No beer. LOTS of water. No candy. Good supplement vitamins (no flintstone type).

:cool:

No beer? Are you nuts?!

Right, I'm gonna give it a go. What a time to pick eh? :p Just gotta keep that motivation up so I don't relapse. Relapse = failure in the subconscious = lowered self esteem = bad habits.

Gonna have to drag a mate into helping me out, which I hate doing. I know it's not, but it feels like a sign of weakness, which is definitely not what an insecure person wants to be showing :p

Cheers lads. BTW, this ain't the end of the thread. Keep the responses coming! I need help :)

You might try push-ups, but the real secret is Push-Aways. Push yourself Away from the food. Seriously though, portion control. Eat most anything you want, just less of it, like half. Instead of a whole pizza, eat half a pizza. If you're still hungry half an hour later, then eat the rest. Also, cut out all sugar. Zero sugar. No sugar. Don't eat sugar. If it has sugar in it, don't eat it. Stay away from the sugar. Use the fake sugar instead. Sugar is easy to avoid these days. Lots of sugar free food that still tastes good.

Hook up with a girlfriend who is a poor cook. You'll lose weight.

You might try push-ups, but the real secret is Push-Aways. Push yourself Away from the food. Seriously though, portion control. Eat most anything you want, just less of it, like half. Instead of a whole pizza, eat half a pizza. If you're still hungry half an hour later, then eat the rest. Also, cut out all sugar. Zero sugar. No sugar. Don't eat sugar. If it has sugar in it, don't eat it. Stay away from the sugar. Use the fake sugar instead. Sugar is easy to avoid these days. Lots of sugar free food that still tastes good.

YES, YES, AND YES.
The trick also is to eat every slowly. It is very easy to over eat when you woof it down. Take your time engage in conversation as you eat or take time half way through your meal to read what ever it takes to slow down. You'll feel full and you'll hardly be able to finish.

No beer? Are you nuts?!

Right, I'm gonna give it a go. What a time to pick eh? :p Just gotta keep that motivation up so I don't relapse. Relapse = failure in the subconscious = lowered self esteem = bad habits.

Gonna have to drag a mate into helping me out, which I hate doing. I know it's not, but it feels like a sign of weakness, which is definitely not what an insecure person wants to be showing :p

Cheers lads. BTW, this ain't the end of the thread. Keep the responses coming! I need help :)

no offence but dont even take this on half hearted...and dont involve someone else who may pack it in..do it because you believe you have the strength of mind to follow it through buddy...I join gyms because I hate wasting money, sometimes thats enough motivation ;)

good advice

I love macca and cheese..I do a double session at the gym when that ones the menu ;)

good advice

I love macca and cheese..I do a double session at the gym when that ones the menu ;)

Cheers. yeah the mac n cheese is hard to walk away from.... So was that steak I had for dinner tonight. When we go out for dinner, I usually bring half my meal home to have for lunch the next day. Er, but not tonight. :(

Cheers. yeah the mac n cheese is hard to walk away from.... So was that steak I had for dinner tonight. When we go out for dinner, I usually bring half my meal home to have for lunch the next day. Er, but not tonight. :(

What???? nothing for the dog?

I used to lift weights with a friend 3x a week. That was a challenge, but it was fun, and having a workout partner helped tremendously. I went from 325 to 259 rather fast. Unfortunately I moved, and have been doing bad things, and have gained some of that back. Gotta start doing stuff again myself. Just saying, if you have the chance to seriously do weights, you can get some results pretty quick with them... but always couple it with some sort of cardio as well... one without the other is less effective.

yes! change of lifestyle - cut out all the crap (sugar/choc/fizzy drinks etc) get a small set of weight, work out for 20 minutes every other day (Abs Diet book has some great circuits in as well as what to eat - and this doesn't mean rabbit food before you think *ugh diet*).

I lost 3.5 stone in 3 months doing this and felt *amazing* :D

yes! change of lifestyle - cut out all the crap (sugar/choc/fizzy drinks etc) get a small set of weight, work out for 20 minutes every other day (Abs Diet book has some great circuits in as well as what to eat - and this doesn't mean rabbit food before you think *ugh diet*).

I lost 3.5 stone in 3 months doing this and felt *amazing* :D

Well there's your problem get the rest of those stones out of your pockets :D

Wow guys, some really good replies here... I'm feelin a lot more motivated already (without trying to sounding cheesy by repeating the buzz word of the thread :p) Keep 'em comin' :)

Back