walter tore's spontobeat songs

Fitz is still kicking, I played there about a year ago. It's as dumpy and dilapidated as ever. I'm not sure about Rockefellers though. I haven't even thought of that place for many many years.

You got any pics of the old days with Joey Ramone or Mink DeVille or the NY Dolls? I love that scene and era of punk rock. I listen to the Ramones, NY Dolls, and Heartbreakers daily. They never get old to me. There used to be a band here in Houston called "Personality Crisis" that were, as the name implies, a rock band heavily inspired by the NY Dolls. Their frontman was a guy named Willie who also worked at Rockin Robin. He was a really nice and cool dude. I haven't seen him around in a while. Anyway, they hosted a few Johnny Thunders memorial shows, and it was freaking great. This was back in the early 90's right after Johnny Thunders died. Great shows. Cheetah Chrome was at one of them. He made Joey Ramone look like Brad Pitt. :D

I knew Rockefellers closed. That was a great gig. The guy that owned it owned the killer mexican restraunt next door that always had lines out the door. But he always had an open table for the band and fed us for free. I was playing there in the mid 80's-96. I have some pictures playing with Buddy Bowzer the horn player for the Dolls but have no way or idea of how to load them on the net. Back then pictures were a much more entailed affair then today. Nobody hardly carried a camera and the ones that did you often never saw again. So, I am sure there are pictures out there-just where is anybodys guess?? I know when I opened for the dead kennedys there were a few thousand people and I remember flashes going off. The same when I jammed with Joey Ramone in austin. Joey and I are from the same general area (I'm from NJ) and had lots of friends in common. It was funny because I first met him when Will and Charlie Sexton brought him by the Steamboat on 6th street in austin. I was playing there and we got to talking inbetween sets about the NYC/NJ scene. Anyway, thanks for listening and sharing some memories! Walter

12-8-10: Here are a couple, one a streaming of me and my way of doing music, the other a bit more normal. Walter

Swinging on the harmonica
Walter Tore

Here are some from tonight. Walter

people want to hear make believe blues
merry christmas to the ghetto
so easy to let your mind block your heart

we are having a snowy day here in Ohio. I am recording and looking out at my yard. It is beautiful- a winter wonderland view. Walter

wet snow falling in ohio
anybody can run their mouth
how many nights
why don't men make friends
got to tell the truth

Last edited:
Here are some I just recorded with a 25 year old 14 hole stock marine band in C. I held it in my left hand and was able to do some hand movements to alter the sound some. My right hand did bass runs on the keyboard and drums on the feet. Walter

hand held harp deep blues 1
hand held harp deep blues 2
hand held harp boogie
hand held harp part 1

I felt something was about to happen the past few days. Today I recconected with Charlie Musselwhite and got inspired to blow solo harp. Funny yesterday I started with the solo harp and then I got an email from Charlie. Life is full of wonderful suprises. Walter

trying to catch up to myself
scared to go out of my house
got to ease my temper down
time sure is moving on
Ineed you now
santa is coming

Man, so good... "I wanna get rid of racism"

Fucking love it. Love the energy, love the harp, love the whole shop.

here are a few from this afternoon 12-16-10

where have all the dancing people gone?
living with pain
we live in primative times
a dead bird teaching me to fly

Blues On You Tonight
Nice intro Walter - sounds like it could've been a good night in a jump joint.

thanks for checking out my music! For whatever reasons the universe has decided currently I am not allowed to play gigs. I haven't done one since early summer and there are none in sight. For a guy that use to do over 200 gigs a year, for 20 years, this is strange. Posting my songs somehow makes me feel like I am still somewhat connected........... Walter

I am off for the next 2 weeks and am already locked up in my studio. It is great having such a wonderful space to create and record my music. I still never am ceased to be amazed that I am paid the same being off as working. Playing music for a living it was hard financial times every night I wasn't playing gigs. Walter

here are some from tonight 12-17-10

the friday night jump
dedicated to wilbert harrison(I learned the 1 man band from him)
easy to eat bad not exercise and get depressed
my finger and ears tell me where to go

Back