Wagon Wheel

I like the bass and banjo on this. I actually wished the banjo was even more prominent at times though.

Did you double the vocals? They sound too obviously doubled or heavily processed or something for me personally. I like the doubled vocal sound more than most, but I'd recommend making it less obvious here as I found it a bit distracting thinking it detracted a bit from the lyrics and whatnot. I also felt like at times the rhythm of the vocal lines wasn't entirely lined up with the instruments. Just some lines that sounded rushed or whatever. Not bad - just something I felt while listening.

Good job overall though. I'd love to hear a remix if you do one...

WoW Rich! I really like the feel of this song that you have going on here. Your into Dylan? Or just the song?
What was your Signal chain on all of the tracks?

Rock me like a wagon wheel? I've written some weird lyrics in my time, but WTF does that even mean? :laughings:

I think this mix is pretty good. Love the banjo. I'm not loving the doubled vocals. They're not tight enough and the vocal timing is off. Instrumentally i think it's very good. I just don't like the vocal treatment.

Thanks guys
All fair comment.
There wasnt much in the way of vocal treatment really it must be just how the double vocals are layered or sung.
To be honest singings is not my strong point. It took quite a bit of courage for me to even post something with me singing on it in the first place.
I'm learning to do better recordings thanks to you all.

Thanks guys
All fair comment.
There wasnt much in the way of vocal treatment really it must be just how the double vocals are layered or sung.
To be honest singings is not my strong point. It took quite a bit of courage for me to even post something with me singing on it in the first place.
I'm learning to do better recordings thanks to you all.

Your vocal performance was pretty good as far as pitch and delivery goes. You can sing well enough. No need to be shy or embarrassed about that. Have you heard my vocals? They suck ass. I don't care. I own that shit and do it my way. Double tracking vocals can be tough. Just keep working with it and work on your timing.

Cheers thanks for the encouragement Greg.
I have heard your vocals mate and i loved the I wanna kill. great song and you totally own the vocal.
Its just my bag too as an old Punk myself its one of the only clinic posts i've listened to all the way through and I would pay to hear the album.
Fantastic guitars. that is the way it should be done.
Such praise from you is a great help thanks again

Cheers thanks for the encouragement Greg.
I have heard your vocals mate and i loved the I wanna kill. great song and you totally own the vocal.
Its just my bag too as an old Punk myself its one of the only clinic posts i've listened to all the way through and I would pay to hear the album.
Fantastic guitars. that is the way it should be done.
Such praise from you is a great help thanks again

You're welcome. And you'll have a chance to buy my next album very soon. :D

Hell you can buy one now from the links in my sig. :D

kip I gotta tell you - you have a great voice and there is absolutely no reason in the world to hide it. You sound like a less nasally and pitchy version of either of the davies brothers for cripes sakes. Lots of character, decent pitch. You don't need the double tracking at all (not that there's anything wrong with it haha). I dont really have any comment on the recording *quality* as you said it was a one off...

Hey, I didn't mean to come off like I thought you couldn't sing. I think this is the only tune of yours I remember hearing so far, but it sounds like you have a good voice.

I just thought the doubling technique here maybe wasn't executed as well as it could've been. lol @ greg - I totally missed the fact that the wagon wheel bit makes no sense to me :).

I second heatmiser's sentiment; I think the double vocals distract more than they augment. The timing is briefly off at 1:37; no worries if you like the raw sound, but shouldn't be too hard to correct. I think the cymbal and clap panned right during the chorus would sound better with real percussion. You have this nice organic feel to the track, and the computer drums throw that off. If you don't have hand percussion, a cookie tin lid or metal bowl and two rolled up magazines hit together will do the trick.

Nice work and I hope to hear more!

Thanks leavings
Taken on board
my aim is to improve and all of this is helping thanks guys

I think all the main points have been covered, but just wanted to reinforce that it's an enjoyable song with good vocals and you got nowt to feel self conscious about.

I'd definitely look at more organic percussion though and if you keep the doubled vocals, maybe bring down the volume on one of the tracks, so that it's more of a subtle thickening of the vocal rather than an obvious double.

Is 'rock like a wagon wheel' the country equivalent of 'float like a canonball' by the way?

Back