w to make computer better for cubase daw

BasilBenedict

I have a dell optiplex 9010 and really don't know where to start as far as having the computer make cubase faster and able to handle large projects.I will provide any info you would need about the computer properties etc. Lately the computer has made cubase elements10 freeze- have false popup warnings and symptoms of cpu overload...i would like to buy some add on or hardware for the computer to solve this..it has 256gb ssd and an extra 500gb ssd. 8 gb ram.Intel i7...

Hi,
The list of reasons why you could be having issues is not a short one but two important questions are
1: Was it always like this?
2: Have you changed anything since it worked fine?

If the machine ran well when it was younger and your demands have not increased then most likely it's time for a cleanup or reinstall of your OS, personally I would verify health of Ram and hard drives too.

If it was always a bit underpowered then the important thing is to find out specifically what area it's struggling in.
Windows has system monitors you can use to determine if CPU is maxed out, or if you're running out of ram or if (unlikely in your case) it's struggling to read/write to hard drive fast enough.
Knowing which of these things is limiting you is key to fixing it, if possible.
Compatibility is also a consideration.
Make sure your version of cubase is listed as compatible with your current operating system, and ensure that the versions of any plugins you are using are compatible with both your cubase and OS version.

Realistically, though, this is a 2013 PC if wiki is telling me the truth.
If it's nice and clean, hardware is healthy, and all version are compatible, it might just be upgrade time.

Tell us more. :)

Are you running VSTi's? Sample shuffling around when they are on your two quite small drives can often tie the machine up quite a bit. I have lots of drives to spread the sample load and while this means loading can sometimes be slower - as cubase hunts for loads of locations, it pays off later. Steenamaroo pointed you to the performance monitor. Red light there is a clue of struggles. I've found bags of memory rather than ultra processor power is a good way to work. 16Gb really helps.

Back