VS-2480 CD burner not burning!

Zeke_Sayer

After mixing down to two stereo tracks and saving the project, I open up the CD-Write page and set to 'Track At Once' and then select 'write'...after clicking 'yes' on the copyright notices that come up, the working window for the CD burner comes up and before any progress can be made, it eject's the CD and "Operation Failed" comes up on the display.

I've tried it again at different speeds, disc at once and with finalize on but it keeps doing the same thing, ejecting the CD before anything happens.

I've had the vs-2480 for about 5 years now and only used the CD burner a handful of times, as I did have a stand-alone CD burner I used until this year. It puzzles me that the CD burner seems to be "giving out" when I've used it very little in the past.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

The drives in the 2480's are VERY picky as to the quality of the disks you use.

I had a stack of Memorex's that cost about $6.00 for 100 and they worked just fine burning things on my computers, but as soon as I tried using them in my 2480, I was getting errors like yours about 90% of the time. I switched to Sony's and the problem pretty much disappeared.

Try a different brand of CD-R than what you're using and see if it helps at all.
You can also try an optical drive cleaner (I think you can still get em at Radio Shack) and see if that helps.

Of course, if you have to replace the drive, it's really a piece of cake to upgrade the OS to the latest version and get a UJ8* DVD drive to put in there...
http://www.rolandvs2480.net/VS2480CD to vs2480DVD Conversion/Convert your 2480CD to a 2480DVD.htm

After 30 minutes work, you have upgraded from a 2480 CD to a 2480 DVD :)

Good luck!

The Cds I have are actually Memorex, so hopefully as you said, this could be the problem. I'll locate some different CDs and see what happens.

Also the link about the 2480dvd sounds very interesting, wouldn't mind taking the time to do this. Would certainty cut down on the use/waste of CD-R's.

Thanks for the tip Bent Rabbit!

Just grabbed some Maxwell CD-Rs and they burned fine, looks like that was indeed the problem. Thanks again so much Bent Rabbit!

I know you already resolved this, but for the possible benefit of others I thought I'd mention that I have a vs2400 and had been using sony cdrs with no issues for a while. They were out of them at the store a while back and so I picked up a bunch of memorex discs.

Much cheaper, but more than 50% of the time, I'd get "operation failed" or "insert valid disc" messages, or the Roland would burn the disc fine but the computer wouldn;t recognize them. They appear to be junk and more expensive in the long run - not to mention frustrating. Steer clear of these if you can.

Back