Vocal Harmonizers? TC Halicon Voice Works - a walk through the basic functions and presets

rob aylestone

I found a pice of kit in a rack today - so thought I'd share the weird things it can do. Plug in a mic and a music sources such as guitar or keys and it analyses the chord you are playing and takes the note you sing and creates harmony. It does it quite well sometimes, but it also has quite a few foibles you have to overcome to get the best out of it. In the video, I've plugged an SM58 into it and you can hear the results.

LOL I still have that same rack mount version which I loved and then I upgraded to the Voicelive floor unit.

I use the stock #32 4 part harmony setting on most all the songs I do that I use it on. I do something quite tricky..I leave it on all the time and use two mics and fade in and out on the one that is set for harmonies...Never seen anyone else do it and it won't work in a live situation ( sounds like hell) but with headphones and recording it live direct from the mixer...so there in no audio for the mic to pick up but my voice and the clacking of the keys you get this result.

You can totally use it live but you only use 1 mic and switch the harmonizer off and on. Using two mics with the harmonizer always hot when a band is playing or even just me on piano with audio running through the PA it picks up and everything sounds like hell... with 1 mic just off an on when you're singing it isn't noticeable... With the two mics the harmony mic is on all the time and I fade in and out into the harmonies mic...getting better and better at the mic control.

I've got a TC Helicon Play Acoustic, the harmonizer part works well. Trying to sell it now, bought it during hte start of the pandemic and only used a few times.

I have the older version TC Helicon Voicelive Touch. It mounts on a mic stand. It does take a little time to understand the tons of adjustments and effects to get the best out of the unit...but once you do it's an awesome live and recording harmonizer. Simple taps on the control face can be done while singing and in between songs. I admit that I don't use it all the time...but when needed it's indespensable.

Mick

Plug in a mic and a music sources such as guitar or keys and it analyses the chord you are playing and takes the note you sing and creates harmony. It does it quite well sometimes, but it also has quite a few foibles you have to overcome to get the best out of it.

I go midi out from the keyboard into the unit so it is very accurate to what keys I play...That is where it gets tricky. Often the chord I would normally play will not work, I have to change fingering to get the harmony so it sounds right with the song. I suspect with midi rather than audio from a guitar in it is more accurate. I dig how I can play a major chord and move to a minor or add another note and you hear part of the harmony change along with it. It is a way more powerful tool for pulling off harmonies by yourself than most folks realize or are willing to put the effort into using it as such. I really enjoy using it when just doing my thing with headphones on.

It's nice to hear it's not just me that has one of these things! I have to say I'm impressed with the audio quality and the 'cleverness' of the unit - but as everyone is saying, it takes time and fiddling to get good results live.

I bought one of those when they first came out. (spent way too much) I used the fire out of it at first , but now it's just something I'll patch in on a rare occasion. I like the way you can adjust the volume of each harmony and only have them come in when you really get on the mic. I agree , it takes a good bit of set up time for any good results. mark

Since I'm kinda limited to using only my vocal for now, I've been going over ways to add backups and, possibly, harmonies. Something like a harmonizer would probably work ok for some stuff. I'm also going to play around with the semitone adjustments of several added vocal harmony tracks. I'm sure that won't produce great results but could be interesting anyway.

I looked at a Halcion, but went for the Boss Acoustic Singer VE-8.
vnbgzr935hgzlygcpbnh.jpg

It is good for early Beatles songs, to give a bit of interest if you're just singing alone with a guitar.

I looked at a Halcion, but went for the Boss Acoustic Singer VE-8.
vnbgzr935hgzlygcpbnh.jpg

It is good for early Beatles songs, to give a bit of interest if you're just singing alone with a guitar.
just Because.... one shot live recording with the Helicon... it's tricky when the keys midi out controls the harmonies...you have to play the chords n such a smidge differently or you can get some God awful harmonies.....

Finally sold my TC Helicon Play Acoustic after a month of ads in the usual places. Sold at $240, bought it for $299 with the first 'stimulus' money in 2020!

Used it for 3-4 live Zoom stream things but decided it wasn't for me, so never touched it again. It did make slick-sounding harmonies - if one sings the right part, which might not be the melody. The doubling and reverb were ok, kept in moderation. My giging days are now mostly behind me, so I just had no use for it.

Back