Vocal Chain? Whats your preference?

Raydio

When recording vocals, what types of effects/processors do you like in your vocal chain?

My main setting is a either a Rhode Classic or a Neumann U87, running through a Focusrite Red preamp, then if needed I'll borrow my engineer's 1176 for limiting. No extreme limiting, just keeping things under control.

As little as possible, only what's absolutely necessary.

I'll play with positioning forever before inserting an EQ. Dynamics only if it's essential to the sound - Rarely for dynamics control (if the signal needs compression or limiting to keep it from clipping, you're recording way too hot in the first place).

You know, just for fun, I would like to hear a project that you tracked everything in John.

Got a link to something?

Ford Van said:
You know, just for fun, I would like to hear a project that you tracked everything in John.

Got a link to something?
Here's a quick demo track that's on my server for some odd reason: No EQ, no compression, no nothing on the way in. Tracked 6 tunes in 6 hours including setup in a "GC Equipped" studio. Barely any EQ during mix either if I recall... Lots of aux send automation...

No that I feel as if I need to prove anything...

Massive Master said:
Here's a quick demo track that's on my server for some odd reason: No EQ, no compression, no nothing on the way in. Tracked 6 tunes in 6 hours including setup in a "GC Equipped" studio. Barely any EQ during mix either if I recall... Lots of aux send automation...

No that I feel as if I need to prove anything...

I was kind of hoping to hear an electric rock production type of thing with vocals.

Jazzy instrumentals are easy as hell to record. Mostly, you just stay out of the way of the natural great sound!

Ford Van said:
I was kind of hoping to hear an electric rock production type of thing with vocals. Jazzy instrumentals are easy as hell to record. Mostly, you just stay out of the way of the natural great sound!
Hmmmmm.

Where's YOUR 'natural great sound'-ing stuff?

Or your 'electric rock production' for that matter?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

so wait... youve got well over $5k between the neumann and preamp alone, and you dont know what to have in your chain yet? wow.

Ford Van said:
I was kind of hoping to hear an electric rock production type of thing with vocals.

Jazzy instrumentals are easy as hell to record. Mostly, you just stay out of the way of the natural great sound!
Most of the rock / metal stuff I've done have no EQ on the way in either.

Ford Van said:
That's like saying that Scarlet Johansson is easy as hell to photograph; mostly you just stay out of the way of her natural great beauty.

That statement sounds quite sublime and profound until you give Uncle Sydney a quality camera and an hour with Ms. Johansson and see that he comes out with a hundred and twenty very average snapshots of an otherwise obviously beautiful woman; and you wish you had given the camera to Annie Leibewitz instead because the pictures Sydney took are actually quite below par, even though he had a great camera and a great subject.

Getting average and possibly even adequate recordings of jazz instruemntals is easy. Getting good or great recordings of jazz instrumentals is a black art that many pro engineers refine over an entire career.

I will say that the main advantage is at least most jazz performers that record actually know how to play their instruments. That does indeed make it easier in a different way... No need to multi-mic a good jazz drummer; he actually knows how to hit the surfaces properly so that they track well without needing a behind-the-glass frankensteinectomy just to make the drummer sound like he can play a standard backbeat without fucking up. :) No need to hand-hold a jazz vocalist in fundamental microphone technique and then have to strap a ton of dynamics iron across their channel anyway just to keep the signal somewhere between the ditches because the singer couldn't work the mic right to save their life.

And no need to tell Scarlet Johansson how to look alluring either. But it still takes an experienced photographer to really make a portrait of her shine. And it still takes an experienced engineer to make a really great jazz recording.

G.

Last edited:
I actually kind of feel the opposite. In my experience heavier is easier to track, and lot of what is necessary to give it the huge sound happens in the mix, and in the arrangement, but not quite as much the tracking. With softer jazzier stuff everything is much more open. That kind of tracking tends to reveal a lot more of any weaknesses apparent in placement, selection, equipment quality, room sound etc... However, once those tracks are captured, the mix tends to almost do itself from start to finish. With heavier stuff, a well tracked album is certainly easier to mix then one that was not, but there still is almost always a lot of critical post production that goes in if you want that "finished" or "big" sound.

If however you just have a shitty local band that does not have the budget to allow you the time to do what is necessary, then heavy stuff is not too hard to apply a few generic tricks to and just mix away.

whjr15 said:
so wait... youve got well over $5k between the neumann and preamp alone, and you dont know what to have in your chain yet? wow.

No, Im absolutely happy with my sound. I wasnt asking for advice my friend lol. I was just trying to congregate with the masses on this topic. We all have our own individual set of ears, so Im sure we all eventually develop a separate taste in this area.

Raydio said:
When recording vocals, what types of effects/processors do you like in your vocal chain?

Generally none, but that's just me and I'm weird. Occasionally, I've been known to patch the RNC in there for a little limiting, but mostly I save effects and processing for later.

Cheers,

Otto

bigwillz24 said:
BuRRRRRNNNNNNN! :p :D :cool:
That's nothin'...

A little more rock he wants - Here's a (chopped-up recording of a) heavy-metal legend with a different flavor... Please, no names. I chopped up the file, but I'm not incredibly comfortable posting it even though it's for illustrative purposes only - Any 80's-90's metal fan is going to know who this is after about 3 notes into the lead (or you shouldn't be calling yourself a metal fan).

LIVE RECORDING - 6.25MB

Over the summer, I was asked to run live sound for a single show of a band featuring a guy I worshiped as a guitarist - I've met a lot of "people" in the business... He was one of very few where I was obviously "star struck" at the time when I first met him (probably 15 or more years ago) and I haven't seen him since that quick handshake and autograph.

Anyway - Right before sound check, he leans in and says "Hey - Can you record this?"

*Can* I?!? Holy crap... He had no idea the joy and utter terror that little sentence brought me... "Hell yeah!" I said. But of course, I didn't want to give him the board mix... I hate board mixes. I'd rather take a blind guess.

So, I did...

Live to two-track, essentially *blind* mix (headphones only, and during soundcheck in the same room) *from two aux sends* (aux 3 L, aux 4 R, mixing them together at various levels for panning).

No EQ - No compression - No monitors - NO second chance.

Although one of the hats is a little hot (It was added after soundcheck, and not that it really bugs me) it's the perfect example of *the artist's* influence on he recording. Sure, you could change this and that - I'd love to have a whisker more bass and a whisker less hat, but that's the point - It sounds fine "as-is" and it'd *still* sound fine changed.

Of course, I would've given money to have a 24-track deck on hand at the time and would've gladly done the whole thing for nothing start-to-finish (because the guy was my freakin' hero). But the big point, is that it made a completely listenable product that I still rock out hard to in my car. It isn't perfect - But considering the technique and the gear selection -

Oh yeah - The gear... Five year old, beat-up Allen Heath GL2200 (cheapie board), Beyer M88 on the kick, 57's on the snare and hats, 81's OH, 504's on the toms, stereo direct bass, a pair of 57's on the guitar. Nothing that wouldn't be found in a thousand "budget-minded" home studios. An Art ProVerb 200 (circa 1987) for a little verb (also very conservatively mixed in live). Out of the aux sends into my MiniMe and straight into WaveLab at 44.1/24-bit.

And of course, a little run through the analog garden here... :D And yes, it made a dramatic difference - But it had the potential already. That wasn't the point - This is about tracking. Although, this was tracked *and mixed* with no EQ or compression anywhere. The only EQ (very little for that matter) or dynamics processing happened here after the fact.

If I say so myself, I think it sounds fantastic for what it is - and pretty darn decent in the grand scheme. But I can only take so much credit for it - They were great musicians with a great handle on their sound.

I'll be more than happy to post a clip from some death-metal projects from 7 or 8 years ago (also no EQ or compression on the way in) when I get a chance if you really want it.

Last edited:
Massive Master said:
I'll be more than happy to post a clip from some death-metal projects from 7 or 8 years ago (also no EQ or compression on the way in) when I get a chance if you really want it.
Let's not put a limiter on this, post a few clips! :D :D

Massive Master said:
Any 80's-90's metal fan is going to know who this is after about 3 notes into the lead (or you shouldn't be calling yourself a metal fan).

LIVE RECORDING - 6.25MB
Everytime i tried to get this file...it ended up to be like 4kb in size..so naturally it errors when i try to play it!

Back