Virtual Instr. Virgin

HapiCmpur

I'm thinking about buying Native Instrument's Session Strings: NATIVE INSTRUMENTS

Their site says to use it with their free Kontact 5 Player, but isn't that only if I don't already have a sequencer? In other words, if I download Session Strings, would I be able to play it as a plug-in on Pro Tools?

Also, I don't currently own a MIDI keyboard. Would anyone be willing to recommend one that would play well with Session Strings without breaking the bank?

Also, I don't currently own a MIDI keyboard. Would anyone be willing to recommend one that would play well with Session Strings without breaking the bank?
mkeymain copy.jpgThe CME M~Key is good. Here is the write up ¬>
The CME M-KEY is a 49-key MIDI keyboard, a simplified version of the U-Key Mobiltone, but retaining the U-Key spirit, featuring the ultra-thin full-action semi-weighted keys and joystick control. These modifications turn the M-Key into a pure, straightforward MIDI keyboard. The X/Y Joystick is a great performance feature for twisting and modulating sounds in real-time. By default it will control pitch bend, modulation and brightness, but it may be assigned to any controllers. The M-Key has a built in USB/MIDI interface and is class-compliant with Windows XP and Mac OS X. It also has two useful pedal inputs for sustain and expression control. Either a switch-type pedal or continuous-controller-type expression pedal (not included) may be connected to the foot-pedal jack socket. The polarity is switchable for maximum compatibility with the wide range of pedals on the market. A continuous-controller expression pedal could be used to control volume. A CME MusicPack free CD-rom bundle is included that will help you get started if you do not already have any MIDI music software. Also available in pink.

Features -
* 49 notes ultra thin full action semi-weighted keyboard, velocity sensitive
* 1 x Programmable Joystick
* 1 x function button, 2 x
data entry button, 1 x slider (assignable), 1 x power LED
* 1 x USB port, 1 x MIDI out, 2 x pedal connect
* USB MIDI, class-compliant with Windows XP and Mac OS X
* Firmware upgraded via USB
* Universal pedal connector, full compatible with switch and expression pedals
* Note-key shortcut function
* Includes "CME MusicPack" a totally free CD-rom bundle with popular and well-known professional audio software titles including: Samplitude SE, Analog factory SE, Waldorf Edition LE, TruePiano
demo, Keytosound Remedy VST and Musicator MW5 UF edition. The free CD-ROM contents are liable to change, according to CME's software partners, and are often limited in functionality
It doesn't cost much, either.

I'm thinking about buying Native Instrument's Session Strings: NATIVE INSTRUMENTS

Their site says to use it with their free Kontact 5 Player, but isn't that only if I don't already have a sequencer? In other words, if I download Session Strings, would I be able to play it as a plug-in on Pro Tools?

Yes you can play it as a plugin...session strings are samples that play in the kontakt player

Yes you can play it as a plugin...session strings are samples that play in the kontakt player

That's what I'm not clear on, though. The demo tracks and videos for Session Strings on the NI website show lots of features for creating fairly realistic expression. I can't tell if those features are a function of the included software or if they're a function of the player, which is apparently sold separately. Other plug-ins I've purchased have come with samples AND a player that's compatible with Pro Tools. It seems odd that NI would package their string samples and player separately.

That's what I'm not clear on, though. The demo tracks and videos for Session Strings on the NI website show lots of features for creating fairly realistic expression. I can't tell if those features are a function of the included software or if they're a function of the player, which is apparently sold separately. Other plug-ins I've purchased have come with samples AND a player that's compatible with Pro Tools. It seems odd that NI would package their string samples and player separately.

All the instructions to the Kontakt Player are via midi, so you need a sequencer to control the instrument. For advanced expression instructions and also for mode switching (like switching between different instruments, say from standard bowing to pizzicato or staccato), you need a sequencer that can do VST3 (Cubase can, Reaper cannot, dunno about PT).

Kontakt is a sampler, it plays many types of sample packs...the full version has effects etc, the player just plays the pack and cant create your own. All the expressions etc, are included in the pack, doesnt matter what version of kontakt you use...

Back