Violin sound.

Hi Colin,
I appreciate it may all seem a bit much all at once.
If you think the 'violin in 14 days' will get things moving, then that is a good thing.
If you refer to the two other books as you go, you will see it all ties together.
It is a bit confusing that the violin strings are GDAE and guitar strings are EADGBE. this is because violins stings ar a 'Fifth' apart, but guitar strings are just a 'Fourth' apart.
I am a beginner on cello, which also has strings GDAE. You can just about see the cello in my hand in my picture.
Cello parts are sometimes written on a Bass Clef, and sometimes written on a Tenor Clef.
I, like Rob am learning to sightread for piano. I have been at it for some years, and have to read both Treble Clefs AND Bass Clefs at the same time. Not easy.
Thinking about notes on a piano keyboard, even though you're playing violin helps.
I agree with what Rob says about being too familiar with just one piece of music. You can't help but memorize bits of it, then you're remembering, not sight-reading.
To avoid this, I bought lots and lots of music scores. My pile of music scores is over two feet tall. This means I can always switch to some unfamiliar piece.
We are all music students Colin, no matter how old we are.

Incidentally, I've had a fun packed day.
Up a ladder on the roof of a shop this morning, clearing moss and inspecting roofing felt for a leak.
Then back home this afternoon, for some woodwork, to create a shelf extension for my laptop, in my re-hashed studio.
A chance to play with my circular saw, and jig saw. They rarely get used.

Hi,

Thanks rob for your interesting and useful information; my dream over a year ago was to play Lara's Theme on my violins and it still is my dream; this is the only music I want to learn from memory the rest I'll learn to play by reading a music score; my memory isn't good enough to hold lots of music so it won't be a problem just remembering the one piece and leave it at that in fact just remembering Lara's Theme is challenging me to the limit. Way back in post #2 you kindly pointed out the importance if Sharps & Flats rob so now I'm understanding better what you were telling me finding they are called Accidentals; every little helps but I feel Accidentals are important and need mastering. One thing is certain with my luck I'll find every barrier there is.

Thanks Raymond; yes I feel overwhelmed as I always do whilst learning completely new skills but I find if I stick with it long enough I can eventually learn anything. I won't be tackling any other stringed instrument any time soon; I've got more than enough to learn regarding violins. So far I've got Somewhere my love and Amazing grace violin music scores plus quite a few in books and magazines so I've plenty to choose from; I've had a go playing Amazing Grace freehand just for fun and found it informative.

When I was first promoted from the shop floor at work many years ago I was told 80% of the job could be learned in a couple of weeks the remaining 20% not in a lifetime.

Good on you up the ladder at the shop this morning but not the warmest of places to be today; I love woodworking of all kinds and have a very well equipped workshop; normally in winter I'd be in the workshop but I'm not enjoying our Yorkshire weather these days hence I decided to learn to play a violin. I've got circular saws but also much bigger saws like my big DeWalt radial arm saw but having sold my Startrite combination woodworking machine left me without sawbench so I made my own sawbench; it's not one for a novice to use though at 4 hp single phase with a 4" cut which I could easily increase by changing the blade,

Sawbench_0007.JPG

Sawbench I made with lever type handles designed as they are lifted they drop a pair of wheels allowing the sawbench to be easily moved around; I wouldn't let a novice loose on this.

Finished desk..jpg

I wanted a desk so made one as seen here; it has 7 single 13A sockets installed at the back top in order to keep all the cables tidy; if only I could play my violins as well as I can do mechanical and woodworking.

I've said many times I want peace in the studio but something always gets in the way; 35 years of nothing but interruptions and it still goes on; this afternoon I planned to download the tutorial music to accompany the book which arrived this morning; during dinner whilst watching an episode of "Dragnet" the TV died taking along with it email and broadband;

1669408027344.png

I thought just the TV was playing up as usual after all it only seems to display sport when BBC News is tuned in so we watch lots of YouTube videos. Having completely messed dinnertime up trying to bump start it after dinner I phoned Virgin Media and received an automated reply stating sorry there is a fault our engineers are working hard to resolve it the service should be back on by 10pm? It came back on at 7pm because I was nosy and tried it. If I tried to shoot myself I'd miss with my luck; will I get into the studio in peace tomorrow; I'm not holding my breath.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
That desk is amazing Colin. Something I know is beyond me. My woodworking skills aren't too bad but my attention to detail is pretty undeveloped.

The accidentals thing is, I think, the fault of music always talking about 8 notes in an octave - those white notes on the piano. we only had 8 letter names, then the sharps and flats. If maybe hundreds of years back, they'd added in H,I, J and the others before going back to A, we'd have a totally different and maybe easier system. Violins and other fretless instruments add an extra layer of difficulty over others - guitars, keyboards and woodwind and valved brass don't have to worry about intonation - as in a clarinet B will be a B. Strings without frets, trombones and a few other instruments can have a B, or be higher or lower than a B. I cannot play a violin, but double bass and cello require practice and muscle memory to play in tune. I've seen some music teachers add little sticky strips indicating where the correct pitches are - like stick on frets to encourage youngsters to put fingers in the right place. Other teachers say this is wrong and teaches intonation as a visual thing not a sound thing.

I wonder if perhaps you have a violin playing person locally? Not to give you lessons or anything, but to listen to you as you are now, and give you some hints and tips and maybe identify things you are doing wrong.

Have you discovered yet that you can play in many different positions, higher up the neck towards the bridge? Positions where you don't play open strings. You might not need this yet, as it's a level or two away from your present position - but your practical background might find patterns in the fingering. The 'science' of instruments can be fascinating.

I hoped you’d not go there Colin he he. I did a load of band parts once. Clarinet, tenor and alto sax and did the whole lot the wrong way around!!

Hi,

I lose the will to live. For over a year I've tried to get into the studio without interruptions this morning no different. After yesterdays fiasco with our cable company I was determined this morning to quickly copy the MP3 tutorial to memory stick and lo and behold I managed it but then my luck ran out again. I've received a demand for £120 from our CCTV company it being the yearly maintenance fee; £130 was paid in full last month; I've tried phoning but it's always engaged so have sent an email meaning if I dare wander into the studio and get settled the phone will drag me out screaming. It never ever lets up.

When I started putting the studio together I wanted to record Andy Williams singing "Somewhere my love" to memory stick allowing it to be played back in the studio; I spent ages trying to find a radio on eBay that would play these memory sticks but without success so do it the hard way as usual and use my head.

I bought a brand new car radio only costing about £13 including delivery this will accept memory sticks. Next I needed to power the radio so bought an adapter 240VAC to 12VDC and had to isolate the power wires to the radio then I hooked it up to a pair of Sony stereo speakers; job sorted and not expensive I already had the speakers. I like this radio because it has "Repeat" allowing any track to play over and over so it's ideal for playing the MP3 tutorials from How to play a violin in fourteen days.

Now I daren't wander into the studio; I don't have a mobile phone welded to my ear just the little used landline. The TV as usual is riddled with sport so my wife is watching an old B&W movie via YouTube; if we didn't have YouTube I'd brick our telly. I'm passing time being a keyboard warrior knowing once the CCTV problem is sort it will quickly be followed by another problem; playing a violin isn't the problem for me it's getting to actually hold the violin I have so much trouble with. I can read my violin mags/books with headphones on whilst my wife watches the old movies it's just that every time I try to get into the studio I'm doomed.

Studio radio_0001.JPG

My cheap car radio in the wooden surround I made.

Studio radio_0002.JPG
What to expect regarding wiring one of these radios; power into it and power out to speakers.

Studio radio_0003.JPG
12V adapter it bought through eBay not costing much. Job sorted MP3 memory sticks can now be played.

Thanks rob; I was bottom of school at woodworking and detested not only the subject but the teacher who was a bully; since marrying 45 years ago woodworking couldn't be avoided so I bought lots of discounted books from a book society and learned from the books; I can now do anything in wood even veneering using hot hide glue and french polishing; I've made lots of our furniture both free standing and fitted saving us a fortune but surprisingly I now love woodworking.

Thanks also for your information rob and no I don't know of anyone who plays a violin in fact no one I know plays a musical instrument so as usual I'll learn the hard way through books; YouTube and this excellent forum where I've already learnt so much. We know three ladies who years ago tried playing a violin but gave up it being too difficult; I think they had music lessons whilst in school but upon leaving school were pleased to leave violins behind; we have friends who visit but I never mention my violin studio because it's an hobby that is personal to me and I don't want to bore anyone who isn't in the least interested. Yes I quickly found out I could play a police siren but if I play too near the bridge it sounds horrible and thin; I must be learning something after all. You once made a mess of the band parts rob; what about measuring a last length of timber at least five times and still cutting it short; I've done this a number of times. A real classic was when I'd removed the toilet pan to lay cushionfloor beneath it but forgot I'd not connected the pipe from cistern to pan and flushed the toilet; having finally mopped up and squeezed the water into the pan I flushed it again still without pipe connected; I shouldn't be let out without adult supervision; I still make the same mistake but it no longer bothers me; I always succeeed in the end.

Thanks Raymond; the desk frame is sold English oak but no one believes the inlaid panels are not wood veneer but in fact Formica laid over an 18mm thick MDF substrate. Many years ago Boundary Mills in Colne traded from ancient mill premises then they moved to a huge new purpose built building; in the toilets I was always hugely impressed by the panels and doors finished in similar shet material; one day I emailed Boundary Mills politely asking if they could supply details of this sheet material and after they contacted the installers got back to me saying it's Formica but this particular pattern is no longer avalable; I found a Formica stockist only a few miles away and browsed their website eventually buying the Formica seen on my desk; the Formica was supplied in huge sheets and I bought two of these which were rolled allowing to be fitted into the car; this desk is unique.

I truly appreciate all the help I'm being kindly given and although my current hobby is to learn to play a violin I like to give a bit back if allowed to encourage others to try new hobbies/projects; it's impossibly to fail completely because just by having a go experience is gained; I learned my woodworking through books because computers were still of the future;

Kitchen.JPG
When we moved here 35 years ago our car was a Citroen 2CV ; I used to visit a local timberyard and buy a car load of Meranti hardwood offcuts; I also bought scrap machines and rebuilt them allowing me to convert these offcuts into sizes I could use; here's our kitchen made entirely by me adding to it as the years passed by; all the woodwork seen including door and chest of drawers is my work costing very little indeed other than huge amounts of time at weekends and after work. The chest of drawers were a surprise present I made for my wonderful wife who enjoys card making; it's solid oak made of offcuts I machined up. I'm a member of a lot of assorted forums where we exchange information and ideas so I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here.

Finished front bedroom Apl 2015 (11).JPG
I also enjoy all aspects of decorating here I've made and installed a coffered ceiling to our master bedroom.

New porch_0001.JPG
A more recent project I carried out; I made and installed this front porch complete with making the new door; the cladding seen is also my work it being routed WBP plywood to look like cladding; this plywood is fully sealed by multiple coats of paint; it's still like new in it's expensive Benjamin Moore paint. I've rambled on enough but it does show what's possible after miserably failing woodwork at school.

Will I ever get into the studio and be allowed to relax in there; possibly not.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Hi,

Another day as usual; spammer caused problems this morning meaning no studio and I knew if I tried to get into the studio after dinner I'd simply fail again so after dinner I decided to get stuck into the book "How to play the violin in fourteen days". I opened the book on my desk and was looking at "Day 1" then opened the matching video on my computer and as usual my world fell in exactly on time;

1669496090029.png
The computer died as did the TV so in disgust I aborted violins again; over a year of this every time I dare do anything with my violins; this place must have a huge curse on it. My
wife and I have just watched on YouTube the full four hours of "Bangkok Hilton" stuff my violins for today I'm sick of trying to get my hands on them.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Many thanks Raymond; just typical of my bad luck but I've got it well covered because I've got the movie on memory stick; this is one time I'm not bothered in the least. Great movie though.

For the last 16 months ever since my wonderful wife treated me to my first violin I've endured nothing but trouble every time I've tried to play it constantly moaning due to so many things keeping me out of the studio well today I've changed my life to suit me and the world can get lost; almost 22 years into retirement but it's been punishment than pleasure with so much heavy work always needing doing.

I'm now on top of all this heavy work but still haven't been able to get into the studio; Friday computer; email and TV problems same again yesterday but today sorted it. I've totally ignored switching the computer on today until just now; total bliss hours of violin practice today; we even said that it being the weekend the phone too could take a hike; the answerphone would take care of it; during the week we can't ignore the phone in case it's the surgery or hospitals.

A full day allowing me to practice for hours from the book "How to play a violin in fourteen days" I read all the introduction and have made a bit of progress; I can now play to the metronome keeping the pace on all strings and recognize down and upbow plus sharp & flat; I'm stuck at the moment trying to understand pitch but I need to spend more time practicing; tomorrow I'll ignore the computer again until evening; I'm on a high at last.

Kind regards, Colin.

Glad to hear the you're finally making some progress. For a while there, it sounded like the ol' violin was possessed or something! :devilish:

I was just remembering back to when I took guitar lessons (about 60 years ago). I still have the book with the song I "sort of" played at the recital, about 3 months into my lessons. I'm guessing that mom and dad were wondering where that $3 a week was going after hearing me play. Plus, for a kid that age, 30 minutes practice time each day was an eternity!

After I quit lessons, my parents put the book in the piano bench, where it sat until a few years ago. Maybe I should try to actually play that dang song!

Hi,

Thanks @TalismanRich 70 years ago at the age of five I'll never forget the poverty we lived in; cockroach infested cottage with one bedroom where I together with two brothers and sister slept it being unheated the only heat in the downstairs room it a coal fire my parents slept in the next room. Shoes with holes clothes with holes always hungry; my late father a coal miner supporting us best he could whilst in those days mothers remained home. Strange though how in spite of such poverty people helped each other even talking to each other. How times have changed now both my wife and I fully retired better off than ever we were whilst working.

I decided to break the curse and have changed my life around; for the last 16 months I've struggled to play my violins but now solved it; I no longer switch the computer on each morning only to become bogged down with lots of problems; last Saturday and Sunday plus yesterday it worked a treat; turn the heating on in the studio before breakfast then immediately after breakfast straight into the studio; peace at last and now each weekend our landline phone is answerphone only; I've had enough of life dictating what I do; 22 years into retirement; now I and my wife are going to do exactly as we like; the world can leave us alone as can the curse that's tormented me.

I enjoyed a good violin session this morning then turned the studio heat down during dinner; I'm now waiting for the studio to warm up again which is taking longer than I thought because the weather has turned very chilly so I'm catching up a bit.

Violin tutorial _0001.JPG

Tutorial book set up where I can read it without too much trouble; I'm now enjoying working through it but not in a hurry; it teaches to play a violin in fourteen days but I don't care how long it takes.

Why not take your book out of hiding and now enjoy it; better late than never?

I feel a violin coming on.:-)

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

I think I need to go into the middle of a very large field and scream my head off; just how much bad luck can be heaped upon me, Before breakfast this morning I popped into the studio to turn the heating up it being very cold. Switching on our TV BBC1 what a surprise sport showing so quickly select YouTube and settle down for breakfast; now settled down YouTube started to buffer which it did for a few minutes then it came back on; shortly it buffered again but didn't come back on so the fun started.

No way do we watch normal TV because it's an insult to intelligence hence we watch YouTube. I tried everything I could think of to get YouTube back on; switching everything off then back on again also resetting the TIVO box; my wife left the rubbish BBC 1 on TV but without sound and got sttuck into her Christmas card making.

By now the studio had warmed up and I wandered in; everything switched on but as I placed my Yamaha YEV violin on my shoulder and attached the Line 6 relay to my belt I thought I've had enough of the violin swiveling around so decided to have another go with the shoulder rest; the shoulder rest was loose on the violin but as I tried to adjust the setting the adjusting rod refused to slide; I put a drop of light oil on the rod but still it refused to move so into the kitchen and I sprayed the fitting with WD40; as I tried to move the rod the tiny locking screw dropped straight down the kitchen plug hole where it can now rot in peace; by now enough was enough so I grabbed the adjuster and gave it a huge pull; now it moved.

Fed up of all this I thought I'd log onto YouTube on my computer for tips how to adjust a shoulder rest; no broadband; after lots more trying I ended up phoning Virgin Media for help; after listening to the choices and pressing the buttons as requested the outcome was a text message would be sent to my mobile phone followed by "thank you for calling". It just gets worse; how can I accept a text message when I don't have a mobile phone?

Now absolutely fed up this time I phoned Virgin Media again and at last a message stated I'd tried to resolve a problem but if the problem persists please hold the line; I was then connected to a lovely lady who was located in Africa and we enjoyed 30 minutes together whilst she did her very best to help; a technician is now booked for Saturday morning but then she found there was another "outage" in our area; we parted on very friendly terms and she's to phone back on our landline mid afternoon today; five minutes after hanging up YouTube and Broadband fired up.

Please excuse me whilst I shoot myself.

Kind regards, Colin.

I still have the "landline", although it was converted to a VOIP type some years back as ATT/Bell was getting outrageously priced. Still, no texts go to that system.

I resisted getting a mobile phone for a long time, but one day my boss casually asked me "What's your cell number? I was trying to get you yesterday." Part of my job as a Technical Manager was to go to our production plants, which involved 3-7 hour drives. When I replied "I don't have one", he replied "Get one... the company will pay for it!" That was over 15 years ago, and I've had it ever since.

For about the first 5-6 years, I had a flip phone which didn't do texting. I finally switched to a conventional smart phone which is necessity today. With the advent of dual authentication, you need it to log into websites for things like government services and health care (Social Security, Medicare and IRS in the US). They will then text you back a number which you need to enter. Some places have an option for emailing the code, but many don't. When I retired 4 years ago, one of my requests was that I could keep the number, since technically it belonged to the company. They agreed, especially since I wasn't leaving to work at a competitor.

I never really use it for browsing. Reading websites on a phone is torture for me. I do email, some texting and an occasional Facebook or Youtube. It's become one of those indispensable items of modern civilization. While I'm not addicted to it, I generally keep it with me all the time.

Hi,

Many thanks @TalismanRich I can understand the convenience of a mobile phone but can't help feeling these phones are converting all who use them into robots; our former neighour on occasion would be talking to me then her mobile would ring; immediately she would pick the phone up and say excuse me which I always did by wandering away myself, I won't play second fiddle to a phone.

I've said a number of times in my three departments at work I had three offices with FIVE phones between them also I had a pager and when colleagues were off site I could end up with three pagers; having suffered years of phones I now detest the things.

I've had a TT SOS mobile phone for a long time it costing about £12 through eBay but still don't know fully how to use the thing.

Our broadband died again this morning so I'm making the most of it whilst it honours me with its presence.

Update: Our bathroom fan heater has died this afternoon. Next problem please.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Hi,

The weather has turned very cold meaning heating the studio is taking ages; I've tried setting the central heating radiator on high before breakfast but it's taking a couple of hours to warm up by which time life takes over and I can't get into the studio so two hours wasted heat.

My office is our hallway and during the day is always cosy the radiator just behind my office chair; this radiator is not controlled to adjust heat I have to open a door. Last night I carried the Yamaha amp into the office and its now sitting on top of the scanner out of the way; I need to move things around a bit in order to put the violin & bow down also where to put the sheet music stand.

My lovely wife does her card making just the other side of a glazed door and also likes to watch B&W movies on TV via YouTube so with consideration to her I want to play as quietly as possible.

I've got a pair of excellent headphones so these will allow any volume to be played but not heard without phones taking care of this; next and importantly as I'm book learning I'm using a mechanical metronome which is loud and I've just been viewing YouTube where there are suggestion like placing the metronome inside a cardboard box with just a cutout; I think the better option is to run a metronome on my computer monitor where I can turn volume to zero but still see the metronome arm swinging one even has a flashing light; one bonus is by using the computer I don't need to keep winding the metronome; I'm just updating because as usual I'm having no end of problems actually getting my hands on my violins.

Our Virgin Media cable service over the last week has gradually become terrible; broadband goes down taking with it email and YouTube; I phoned VM three days ago and a technician was booked to visit us today but then I received an email saying it will be next Tuesday so which day will he/she arrive in the meantime I'm struggling with broadband; problems never ever let up for me but I keep battling on.

TV is horrendous without YouTube we hate and detest football; we are YouTube premium users paying about £13 per month which is worth every penny not to be pestered with adverts and can totally ignore sport.

I'd better post this before I lose it.

Kind regards, Colin.

It is getting chilly down south too, but I've resisted heating so far.
Another week and rthe woodburner will get used.
My mobile package includes an amount of 'use it or loose it data', so at the end of the 30 days I've taken to
watching youtube videos of 'stupid people'. They can be very very stupid.

I'd suggest simply discarding the metronome. I've never found them remotely useful when learning, because devloping your 'internal clock' is really important. I have to use them for some work, where a certain dance must be at a specific BPM, but adhering rigidly to a certain tempo does rob you of the ability to 'flow'. For playing to a recording, especially with gaps it is handy - but you're not doing that yet. Far more vital areas to concentrate on. Intonation and accuracy of fingers and bow are the most obvious ones. Simple things like deciding if you start on a downbow or upbow matter far more, as getting that wrong produces stutters and odd pauses, or running out of bow on the long notes. It's also worth trying pizzicato too, once in a while.

Hi,

Thanks Raymond; up here we've had the heating on for a while and even switching the electric blanket on; at 6' tall and just over ten stones I'm a stick insect with little padding against the cold; we don't care what the energy costs we're going to keep warm. Stupid people on YouTube you should see many living near us; if there were a law against stupidity a lot would be arrested; it's incredible how some manage to get out of bed without supervision but to talk to these they are superior to everyone else often with big gob and little between ears.

Thanks for the suggestion rob; it's just that I'm learning from a book which insists on using a metronome but because I've been using the metronome I understand a bit better now and think I can still use the books information the book's good for finger training and note positions; as usual I'm struggling because of nothing but problems; the Virgin Media technician didn't arrive today although on the phone I was given today and by email I was given Tuesday so guess which it is with my bad luck; we even have a great deal of trouble just driving because our local lane has three lots of temporary traffic lights always at red and they are either three or four way meaning I'm getting old quickly; it never lets up; I've just been fed up today it starting early with YouTube going down as soon as we sat down for breakfast; oh how we hate BBC News AKA BBC sport with wall to wall football showing overpaid clowns prancing around because they've kicked a bag of wind into a net. the country's in free-fall but as long as there's football bury heads in the sand all is well. One thing I've really enjoyed doing is playing around with the opening of Amazing Grace not trying to get it perfect but I'm surprised by how I can make it sound even knowing when to change a note; it's fun.

I've been trying to use a shoulder rest again but given up unable to live with it; I seem better without using a shoulder rest but I wish I could be left in peace to play with my violins. I'm making a bit of progress understanding sharps & flats reading from a music score also due to the book it shows which bow stroke to use; I've been looking at a Bon Musica shoulder rest but I think it would be a waste of a lot of money after all if I could be comfortable in my workshop I could easily make one of these from scratch; I've always got lots of sheet aluminium etc but it's too cold to do much.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Playing my violin in the small office doesn't work due to lack of space so I've returned the amp to the studio; I turned the heating on in the studio very early this morning so it should be nice and cosy by now as I'm about to wander in. I've been messed around enough with endless hassle; today is violin day and I'll repel all boarders. I'll leave the studio heating on all day allowing another session after dinner; time to stop being messed around and to enjoy my studio.

Just another day. 4 Dec.JPG

Turn TV on at 7:40 this morning to be greeted with more football; turn my computer on to be greeted with this message; when I contacted Virgin Media on Wednesday a technician was due yesterday but proved to be the invisible man although having arranged this by phone the same day I received a message saying Tuesday? So wait six days for service also the VM lady was to phone back on Wednesday afternoon but she didn't; just a normal day here.

Kind regards, Colin.

Don’t forget that the point of the rest is so you can take your left hand off and the violin says put! Lots of people use foam or even sheepskin to make them comfy. A friend made a bloke of polystyrene into one that fit him exactly and covered it in velvet!

Back