Video Sync

sbrady

Been working from home since Mar 2020. Got Nuendo at work on PC, I got Cubase 10 on Mac mini M1 at home. I get a lot of people telling me my audio is out of sync. It looks in sync on my system. I try now to NEVER move audio 1-3 frames to the right to put things in sync as I think I need to slow down audio to match video but it is so tempting because it looks better on my system when I slide audio to the right, then I get comments. I do a LOT of SFX and lip-sync and SFX sync need to be rock solid. My buffer is set to 192 and Cubase tells me that is 7milli seconds of output delay. That is about ¼ of a frame. That should some kick ass sync if you ask me. Enlighten me if you can.

Are you live streaming? Unless your FX are in the interface, i.e., firmware processed, it's very possible the latency is noticeable. How are you capturing video and blending audio?

When I was setting up for a bit of streaming about a year ago, I used OBS and recorded the output, i.e., w/o going live, and then set the delay appropriately to get things sync'd up. If you don't capture what's going out in some way, you don't really know what they're seeing.

If you watch other videos on the same system, does it seem to be in sync?

When I watch videos on my computer, most (besides certain ones which appear to have sync problems of their own) appear in sync unless I use my Bluetooth speaker. It looks right when I watch on my computer monitor and internal audio, or when I watch on my home theater system via HDMI. So when I edit, I use one of those setups and avoid the BT speaker.

thanks for you comments. I do AUDIO POST not streaming. I have a Panasonic GH3. Sync for personal projects in Premiere on my Mac mini M1 is perfect. Sync in Cubase is good also. Its when I work on projects for work that see issues. I feel the cameras at work spit out a video file that needs the audio delayed 1-3 frames to make it look right. Maybe the video edit suite has a video card that adds a delay. Its hard to figure out. At work we have a big honkin' video switcher called the Big Kahuna. Audio needs to add 4 frame 133ms delay to make sync look right. When my Premiere and Cubase play nice, I don't think its me, I think its work. I'm in FL, they are in VA. Probably never get officially resolved.

Still not quite sure of the workflow you are using. Are you starting with a video file and embedded audio, or just video without audio and separate audio tracks that are mixed and then manually sync'd, or...? And, then, what do you deliver back types/format/etc.? Just an audio track is what it sounds like, to me? What do you use to do your sync, just "eyeball" it? No time codes or anything?

I actually agree that cameras put the audio 1-3 frames early. I think it's because the in-camera handling of the video takes longer than audio, even if it's just the buffers. I use the camera audio to do a rough sync of finished audio, but I always seem to have to slide it approximately two frames to the right to make it look correct.

Try playing some commercially released video on your system (including through your software) to see if it syncs properly. If it does, have the people complaining about your sync play the same video on their system.

I’ve got a couple of ATEM switchers. I hadn‘t realised how quickly HDMI delays stack up. One is HDMI only, the other does SDI too, and using SDI to it from the cameras is so much better for sync.

Back