Variety of Sound plus crashing Windows

cafehonda

Anyone else having issues with Variety of Sound VST plugins crashing Windows? I am using Cubase 7 with the latest updates. Computer is 4ghz 8 core processor with windows 7 pro and writing to an different drive than the application. When I have tried to use the Thrillseeker LA comp or Density plugs I have crashed my system hard. Loud buzzing tone with a locked window and no escape other than to hard restart the computer. Actually did a fresh install to settle issues after 3 or 4 crashes like that. Now I am afraid to use them because i can't afford the down time to get everthing set back up. Not a huge deal if they no longer work on 64 bit aplications (vst bridge is not the greatest) but I really liked the compressors for certain things. Sometimes free is not really free.

Anyone else having issues with Variety of Sound VST plugins crashing Windows? I am using Cubase 7 with the latest updates. Computer is 4ghz 8 core processor with windows 7 pro and writing to an different drive than the application. When I have tried to use the Thrillseeker LA comp or Density plugs I have crashed my system hard. Loud buzzing tone with a locked window and no escape other than to hard restart the computer. Actually did a fresh install to settle issues after 3 or 4 crashes like that. Now I am afraid to use them because i can't afford the down time to get everthing set back up. Not a huge deal if they no longer work on 64 bit aplications (vst bridge is not the greatest) but I really liked the compressors for certain things. Sometimes free is not really free.

I've had the problem with Adobe Audition 3.1 (which is still worth using) getting the blue screen of death, but I've never used VoS before.

I had some occasional problems where the DAW only crashed with the VOS plugs. This was in a Windows 7 64-bit environment with Pro Tools 8LE and the FXpansion RTAS-VST wrapper software; but since changing to Reaper 64 on the same system I haven't had any problems at all. I haven't heard of plugs crashing whole systems before. I think the issues might relate to 32- to 64-bit bridging software. Reaper has its own bridging and it works well on nearly all the 32-bit plugs I've used. Which is good because I'm a total VOS addict -- I love all of their stuff and can't mix without it.

Last edited:
I have found Reaper can bridge plugins (namely the Antress Modern series) where Cubase and JBridge have failed.

Back