V67 on drum overheads

old crow

Me again. :rolleyes: I just read a review, in the mic section , on a pair of V67's being used on a grand piano, with quite favorable results. I have one V67 and I'm considering purchasing another condenser mic for vocals. Have any of you tried using V67's for overheads?
I don't have high ceilings and the room is about 14' x 16'. That's why I thought ribbons would work better, but I've had some good results with the single V67 about 3 or 4 ft. in front of the kit, so I thought maybe I could get away with condensers overhead, even though it's a small room :confused:

I have used V67s as overheads and the result was not bad. I normally use Octava MC-012s (much lower profile). however, the 67s did the job about the same as the Ottavas.

I have goten very good results with a pair of AT4033's - but those are more expensive than both the Marshall & the Octava.

Thanks Mikeh, and now I have another question. I'm actually considering purchasing a 4047 for vocals. What do you think might happen if I was to use my V67 and a 4047 for overheads? Have you tried your 67 and 4033 together?

First let me say - I have a 4047, and in my opinion it is a great vocal mic. I have found in particular it works great on things like female R & B type of tracks (and I think the 67 can work well with many male vocals)- but I think I could get a great sound out of the 4047 on any vocal.

Regarding using the 67 & the 4047 together for overheads. The 4047 is much more transparent than the 67 (which I think is a little harsh on the highs and a little hyped on the lows). The 4047 will really capture the "brightness" of cymbals (without too much hype) better than the 67, so you would have to use some selective placement and likely tweak the EQ to get a reasonable blend.

That being said - I have always been a fan of using what you have to your best ability. If you can only afford one mic and you want that to be a 4047 (a fine choice) - then work with the 67 and the 4047.

I don't know what your level of experiance or what types of projects you plan to track, but If I was you, I would get the 4047 and try to use it with the 67. I'm guessing it will get the job done (with a little effort). If at a later date you decide you want some matching condensers (many people prefer SD vs. LD) for overheads (or stereo guitar, etc) you can cross that bridge - in the mean time, the 4047 with the 67 will give you some good options regardless of what vocals you run across - and should work as overheads (subject to the above caveat).

Thank you once again Mikeh. :D I'm very inexperienced and have recently bought a Tascam 2488, but I'm really diggin' it :eek: especially recording drums and vocals.
The material wer're doing is 60 ish Beau Brummels, Ventures, and swampy alt country ala Buddy Miller. The reason I'm wanting both ribbons and condensers is to try and get a big open room sound from the condensers ( even though it's a small room ) I know from putting the 67 about 4 to 5 ' in front of the kit that it really gives it a spacious sound,or a more intimate warm vintage feel by using the ribbons. I know the ribbons will do what I want but was unsure about using missmatched LDC's, but I think you've provided me with the confidence to go for a 4047 :cool:

i really dig my v67 on overhead duty--so much so that i need to pick up a second.

of course, the player, the drums, the tuning and the room have far more impact on the sound.....but i've been quite happy with my v67 as an overhead. certainly better in my space with my kit than my 603's.....

YMMV

cheers,
wade

Back