Utility menu in SONAR X1 and 3rd party editing tools

bradwestcott

Ive been trying to get the Sound Forge Pro menu item under Utilities to work, SONAR created all the registry entries for me when i installed it, but its not working for me, so Ive been reading the instructions at the link below

Cakewalk Support Knowledge Base - Adding third party audio editing software to SONAR's Tools menu

i had this working last year under XP and SONAR 8.5, i was under the impression back then that SONAR would launch Sound Forge for me with the clip opened in it, but if i remember right you had to have Sound Forge open already for this to work in SONAR, is that correct?

now on my new machine, i cant make it happen at all

i have 32-bit Win 7 and SONAR Producer X1b, Sound Forge Pro shows under the Utilities menu, the path to Forge100.exe is correct in the registry, so what am i doing wrong please?

this is what i am doing

1. i open SONAR
2. i open SF
3. i have a project in SONAR that has imported a WAV file
4. i select the clip on the audio track (i assume that when the clip turns black its selected right?)
5. i go to the Utilities menu, the Sound Forge Pro menu item is enabled
6. i click on Sound Forge Pro and nothing happens in SF
7. the Sound Forge Pro menu item under Utilities is now disabled
8. i swear loudly and my wife tells me to watch my mouth
9. i have a beer and say f*ck this sh**

so besides the swearing and the cheap beer, please somebody tell me, what the hell am i doing wrong here?

Also, at the Cakewalk Product Support page linked above, in the instructions, it says in step 17...

"In the Value Data field, type in an "&" followed by the name of the application. For example: &Sound Forge"...

for the MenuText string value, again these registry items were added for me when i installed SONAR, do i need to add the Ampersand now?

ps... i noticed in the registry that there is a path to the Sound Forge help file, whats the purpose of that?

pss... is the StatusBarText string value in the registry useless for SONAR X1?, i dont see a status bar in X1

Thanks for your time!

Back