Hmm Sonar X1 Producer a good choice?

Arbee

I've been on this forum for a few months now trying to research a "best fit" new home studio setup for my needs. I'm starting from scratch having been out of the music business professionally for many years (studio musician, orchestrator, composer). I've spec'd up a fair beast of a machine to run it (24Gb memory, three hard drives etc) and believe I have this covered.

I have no real loyalty to any particular DAW and, as you'd expect, each one has its pros and cons. My main use is to create instrumental music as an indie (piano, acoustic guitar, orchestral with electronic grooves), create TV/film music libraries, and arrange string quartet sheet music for sale (with awesome demo tracks). The only live instruments I'm likely to record are acoustic guitar and other stringed instruments one at a time. The rest will be VST instrument libraries with piano an important feature (EW, Trilian, Omnisphere, Ivory etc) . The "must" is that the end product sounds totally professional (yep, understand room treatment etc is a biggie).

I really want to focus on the music rather than the "tech" (this from an IT professional!) and will play most things in, particularly "real" instruments, from a written score but some sequencing required and obviously handy to have the midi tracks recorded so I can reassign the audio patch if I change my mind about the sound. I would prefer to work with just one DAW that can flow from midi/audio recording to mixing to mastering (OK pipedream?). Although I'll be using external VST's, a great sounding library of instruments out of the box would be useful.

In regard to various DAW choices and after some research I find myself, and perhaps a little surprisingly, on the Sonar forum for the following reasons:

1 Pro Tools - yes "industry standard" but I have some concerns about the large VST libraries I will be using. On the plus side I will use Sibelius and the Pro Tools integration has appeal. I had in mind to get the Mbox Pro 3 + PT9 bundle initially.

2 Cubase - good for midi/VSTs but mixing, mastering??

3 Reaper - yep, understand it's really good value and a great following but comprehensive enough as a one stop shop?

So, how does Sonar X1 Producer shape up here? The recent upgrade seems to have had great press and it seems to tick all the boxes. I also wonder about a good interface if I take this route (need 2 midi in, 2 mic in, 2 audio line in (L/R), 2 headphone, 3 monitor pairs out).

Thanks, the knowledge on this site has been incredibly useful so far!

Robert

Your interface sounds like a tough find - what have you found so far?
X1 is clunky compared to Sonar 8.5 but has lots of features. Mike has it and we use it (fight with it) weekly. We are just getting to the point where we know all the new short cuts and hot keys. The docking/undocking the console sucks donkey balls. I'm personally stuck on Sonar 6 due to computer limitations but find it all I need and lots easier...

When I switched to Win7, I also switched from an OLDversion of Cubase to Sonar 8.3 PE (64bit). I had a lot of problems running my UAD cards. I loaded up Sonar 32bit and that solved most of my problems, but I still experienced a lot of lock-ups, audio engine failures, crashes, etc. It was very aggravating and the Sonar forums weren't much help. I eventually switched to the latest version of Cubase and have been happy ever since. I know others here have been happy with Sonar, so your mileage may vary...

I will say, whichever you buy, once you're over that huge and steep learning curve, you'll find the value in your purchase.

For interface I suggest M-Audio MIDIsport 4x4 for MIDI and Lynx Audio TWO-B 2I/6O PCI card for audio. Check for compatibility with specs of your computer. I run a Lynx 2A on an '05 refurb Dell P4 w/3.4gHz/4g RAM with XP Pro and have never had any issues with my Lynx for 6 years now. I get burps every now and then using big sample sets in Dim Pro in Sonar 8.5PE but with your setup that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and my puter is general purpose, not dedicated DAW.

The Mbox Pro 3 meets my requirements for an audio interface. Perhaps I should buy this and run Sonar X1 or Cubase 6 as well as PT :confused: ... really don't want to learn 2 DAWs if I can avoid it.

May be old by now but always like my tascam FW-1082 interface, I'm sure theres a newer version by this time.

Thanks, I was hoping to hear someone evangelise Sonar X1P as the perfect one stop shop but, sigh..., life is never that simple :-) . Pro Tools folk will say Sonar is a toy, Cubase folk will say Sonar is the poor-man's Cubase, but I don't think any of those on their own will allow me to record audio, manage large VST instruments libraries with heaving, mix, master then author/burn a CD end to end.

I'll go through all the online tutorial youtubes one more time......

My main use is to create instrumental music as an indie (piano, acoustic guitar, orchestral with electronic grooves), create TV/film music libraries, and arrange string quartet sheet music for sale (with awesome demo tracks).

I'm not sure any of your choices will work well for printing out music for string quartets. Don't count on Sonar working for you here.

Aside from the staff notation being designed for musical illiterates (LIKE ME), I think Sonar X1 meets or excedes all of your requirements. It is a steep learning curve, but that is true for any of your options. For me, X1 seems natural and Cubase is like trying to write left handed. I'm sure the Cubase folks would say the opposite. I always buy Ford cars because I can always figure out where the switches and controls are... I won't buy Pro Tools anything because I find their closed marketing approach to be anti-competitive.

Last edited:
Back