Utility Condenser Mic for Live Sound

Bowisc

I need to purchase 4 condenser mics to be primarily used for live sound and/or live sound recording. They'll also serve as mics for recording at home.

- Choir or ensemble vocal mics (4 vocalist per mic)
- Acoustic Guitar (fingerstyle)

Criteria:
- Under $300 each.
- Side address
- Must have a black finish (otherwise I would have gone with SP B1's)

I'm looking at AT4040's which run about $290 each.
Any suggestions or comment are appreciated.

Bowisc said:
I need to purchase 4 condenser mics to be primarily used for live sound and/or live sound recording. They'll also serve as mics for recording at home.

Criteria:
- Under $300 each.
- Side address

If you don't mean ALL black the CAD E100 is a pretty decent one. You can find them on Ebay from time to time. They were discontinued but I saw in CAD's latest ad in ProSound magazine that it was re-introduced as a new model, the e1002

Bowisc, I think 4040's would be the best choice if they've really gotta be black. Great clean, neutral all-around workhorse mics.

I agree on the B1 choice if it turns out that the mics being all black is not a determining factor in the end.

Dot said:
Bowisc, I think 4040's would be the best choice if they've really gotta be black. Great clean, neutral all-around workhorse mics.

I agree on the B1 choice if it turns out that the mics being all black is not a determining factor in the end.

The reason I'm digging the 4040's is because I used them on a concert recently for ensemble and lead vocalist/pianist. Just like you said, they were clean and neutral and the detail was amazing through the vdosc system.

The B1's would be too distracting on stage, with lighting and all. What a bummer because I could get three of them for the price of one 4040.

Bowisc said:

Criteria:
- Under $300 each.
- Side address

If you're recording a choir you don't need one mic for four vocalists, you can use two mics for the whole choir. For a four vocal ensemble, if they want to be close miked then four is a little cramped.

Anyway, I've used SM94s for this, but they aren't LDC, aren't side address, but they are kind of dark grey, very unobtrusive as choir overheads, cheap, durable, and they fit a standard SM57/58 clip. They are flat but not bright at all.

Maybe think about a combo of 2 LDCs and 2 SDCs for different needs.

Back