Use zoom h5 as usb interface

john225

Hello, I have this weird problem.
I have zoom h5 and shure sm7b and a cloud lifter.
When I record only to SD card everything sounds fine.
When I plug in zoom into computer and I don't use a cloudlifter everything sounds fine.
When I plug in zoom into computer and I use a cloudlifter my mic is not working, levels are not moving and rec. soft doesn't pick up any sound from mic.

Any ideas why ?

Thank you for your help.

So, you are using the H5 as an audio interface when plugged into the computer?

Maybe the H5 is running off bus power and it's not enough for the CL? I have read there's a setting that determines whether the H5 is running off bus or battery power when plugged in. Change it to run off battery power, if it's defaulting to bus power and see what happens (with good batteries, of course).

What solved my problem was doing a factory reset and the zoom runs from usb computer with a cloudlifter.
I think messed up some setting on my zoom.

That's great that you solved the problem. I still recommend getting a wall power to USB mini adapter. I find them in bins of old phone chargers at thrift stores.

That's great that you solved the problem. I still recommend getting a wall power to USB mini adapter. I find them in bins of old phone chargers at thrift stores.
a dumb question but ,,, how am i gonna connect it to my USB port if I use that DC5V to power it?
Right now I use that micro DC5V from the zoom to connect to USB in my laptop

I would think the only way to do that would be to actually be a powered USB hub. Some older computer may be unable to supply enough power to run devices like this. With newer specs, especially USB3, it shouldn't be an issue.

I was surprised that they do power though the USB port now. My H4n uses a separate wall wart, which I prefer. I rarely use it with battery power. Even at home, I just plug it in. That's especially handy now that my NiMH rechargeables are getting rather old and don't hold full charge. I need to buy a new bunch.

Not a dumb question, it was a dumb suggestion by me, at least for your application. It would still be useful when using the H5 as a standalone recorder.

Last edited:
I would think the only way to do that would be to actually be a powered USB hub. Some older computer may be unable to supply enough power to run devices like this. With newer specs, especially USB3, it shouldn't be an issue.

I was surprised that they do power though the USB port now. My H4n uses a separate wall wart, which I prefer. I rarely use it with battery power. Even at home, I just plug it in. That's especially handy now that my NiMH rechargeables are getting rather old and don't hold full charge. I need to buy a new bunch.
Looks like the H5 is like the H6 and only has the USB power option. I used my H6 the same way as my F8s and camcorders, and that's with the biggest Li-ion packs I could find so it would be usable for hours without needing AAs. TalentCell is the brand I use with the F8n (12V), but I've got one with a USB jack, and then I've got a few, good size phone chargers that do the same thing. Anker is a brand that's been around a long time. Generally quieter than most wall-warts, too.

Back