Use WaveLab's spectrum analyzer in Sonar?

pennylink

Can you use the spectrum analyzer that's part of WaveLab 4.0 while working on a project in Sonar 2.2?

I seem to remember reading in an recent post that you can use WaveLab as an editor while working in Sonar by highlighting a Sonar clip and then selecting "WaveLab" from the Sonar tools drop down menu (or did I imagine that???) Could someone please confirm this, as "Wavelab" does not show up in my Sonar 2.2 tools menu :confused:

Otherwise, is it possible to use WaveLab's spectrum analyzer with a VST wrapper in Sonar as a plugin, or is it an integral part of WaveLab and just cannot be used by another program?

I think it's an integrated part of Wavelab, but check out KVR-VST. I know there's a free VST spectrum analyzer out there somewhere, I've used one.

moskus said:
I think it's an integrated part of Wavelab, but check out KVR-VST. I know there's a free VST spectrum analyzer out there somewhere, I've used one.
Thanks, Moskus, I'll do that. It's just that the WaveLab one is so darn nice :D

You can only use the spectrum analyzer by opening a clip in Wavelab. However, you can open the clip directly from within Sonar by selecting Wavelab from the tools menu.

IOW, there is linkage between the two programs, but they still operate as independant programs. You can not use tools from one in the other (expect for some of the plugins that are made available in both programs).

Hmmm... that explanation seems clear as mud. Hopefully you got it. :D

rjt said:
You could use WaveLab but you have to put it in the tools menu yourself. There should be numerous posts on how to do that.
Take Care
I did a quick search but didn't come up with any relevant posts :( How exactly would you add WaveLab to the Sonar tools menu?

I'll go through the manual when I get home tonight and see if I can find the answer.

Thanks for all the input :)

Try this link for an easy tool bar editor:

http://mandala-in-mind.de

Also, WavLab would only let you look at the file you opened in it, not the what is going through a bus in real time etc. etc. Inspector, the link I gave you in my last post, will do what you want.

Amazing! I love technology :D

I added WaveLab to my Sonar tools menu using dachay2tnr's link, and it works great. I guess the Mandala-in-mind tools menu editor would be easier to use though, so I'll install that for future use. Thanks to both of you.

I also downloaded/installed the Inspector Spectrum Analyzer. Not as feature-packed as WaveLab's metering tools, but it works great, especially for a free plugin, and uses very little CPU even when running multiple instances.

This really makes it easier to SEE what's going on with your mixes. Maybe Cakewalk could make these tools part of the next Sonar edition ;)

Hi all,

I was looking to install Wavelab in the tools menu and found this thread.

When I tried to follow the instructions from the cakewalk FAQ I was unable to actually find the TOOLS folder in the Registry in the location they specified. When I tried the little program mentioned above it managed to make Wavelab appear in the tools menu but when I click it nothing happens. When I go back to click it again it's greyed out.

I'm using S3, does this make a difference?

Thanks, rd

rcktdg said:
Hi all,

I was looking to install Wavelab in the tools menu and found this thread.

When I tried to follow the instructions from the cakewalk FAQ I was unable to actually find the TOOLS folder in the Registry in the location they specified. When I tried the little program mentioned above it managed to make Wavelab appear in the tools menu but when I click it nothing happens. When I go back to click it again it's greyed out.

I'm using S3, does this make a difference?

Thanks, rd

Make sure you have selected audio clip before opening the Tools menu... :)

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Make sure you have selected audio clip before opening the Tools menu... :)

;)
Jaymz

Yup, that would be the case. You have to tell the program what clip you want to open up in Wavelab. After you modify the clip in Wavelab, when you return to Sonar, Sonar will ask if you want to update with the modified clip. Select Yes (assuming you are happy with the changes you made). Since changes made in Wavelab are destructive, it might be wise to clone and archive the track first as a precaution.

That is totally logical and the reason why it did not work. I was just looking for the wavelab window to open. Furthermore it's very cool that Sonar will ask if you want to update the wave!

Thanks to both of you. I am so glad that I'm able to post to this bbs again. About 8 months ago it stopped working for me and just wouldn't work from my home computer anymore. Now it does.

Cheers, RD

Back