Usb 2.0

futurestar

Has anyone tried any of the newer High Speed USB 2.0 Hardware available ? (Edirol, etc). If so, any comments on performance, i.e. latency, etc?

My experinece with Behringer has been good, however this unit is new and untested.

USB 2.0 offers much higher bandwidth. If I were going that direction, I would look for a unit with more channel capacity. This is basically a 2 channel unit, which is a limiting factor.

Ed

With the adat ins you should be able to record 8 tracks at once ... in theory anyway! :-)
Anyway ... just looking at a few options for now. The main reason I've even considered this unit is that it would kill 2 birds with one stone for me. As well as my PC rig, I also have a Korg D16, which I use ocassionally for mobile recording, etc. The Behringer has optical outs, which I could use to bypass my Korg mic pres, (The Korg only has optical ins/outs) using my Focusrite pre via the Behringer inserts as a front end. The Behringer would also enable me to transfer tracks via digital to my computers spdif ins. Anyhoo ....

brzilian said:
I wouldn't even buy a Behringer mixer! Their stuff has too much of a bad rep for me to even consider it.

1st, it's not a mixer. Check the thread. It's a control interface. And, probably one of the most versatile out there for the common home digital recording setup.

Personally, I can't wait for that, the fader, and the rotary to come available. An automated controller console in a home studio. Beautiful.

BlindCowboy said:
1st, it's not a mixer. Check the thread. It's a control interface. And, probably one of the most versatile out there for the common home digital recording setup.

Uh, I know that. :rolleyes: Re-read my post - I'm saying I don't trust Behringer as a brand. All they do is rip off other people's products and make cheap crap in China.

Mackie:

http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/mackiecontrol/images/mackie_control_top.jpg

Behringer:

http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

That's so funny. I mean, yes. It's blatantly obvious on some of their products which model they used to build their own. (Though comparing the Mackie mentioned and the Behringer, I don't believe that to be a copy.)

But, in all fairness, the industry has been doing that since the dawn of music. How many Les Paul and Strat copies are out there? They play good and they're cheaper. Some of Behringer's products are less than crap. Some are decent. But, this product is nothing more than a glorified midi controller. Behringer's midi stuff has always worked well for me, and I expect this will be a good product for them.

But, to say that they ripped this off from Mackie. Fine. Then Mackie ripped theirs off from Tascam and Focusrite/24.

BlindCowboy said:
That's so funny. I mean, yes. It's blatantly obvious on some of their products which model they used to build their own. (Though comparing the Mackie mentioned and the Behringer, I don't believe that to be a copy.)

But, in all fairness, the industry has been doing that since the dawn of music. How many Les Paul and Strat copies are out there? They play good and they're cheaper. Some of Behringer's products are less than crap. Some are decent. But, this product is nothing more than a glorified midi controller. Behringer's midi stuff has always worked well for me, and I expect this will be a good product for them.

But, to say that they ripped this off from Mackie. Fine. Then Mackie ripped theirs off from Tascam and Focusrite/24.

Take a look at this thread over at Harmony-Central.com:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=550067

My opinion still stands that Behringer is absolute crap.

You have your opinion and others have theirs.

Behringer makes a variety of gear. Some of it is unique to them and there is no practical alternative. Some of it works well and some of it does not.

They have a number of rack mount effects units. Most of them I have heard I do not like. They also have some rack/stomp box guitar effects (which are lower cost models to compete with Line 6). Most that own those really like them.

Their direct boxes work very well and are very cost effective.

They have a number of low cost mixers and opinions vary greatly on their use and benefit. It seems that their mixers may be more likely to be used in Live environments than recording environments. I have used 5 different ones for live use with execellent results for each. I have little experience using them for recording.

They also have items like the FCB1010 MIDI floor controller. It is mostly one of a kind device and has little competetion for what it can do. It is built like a tank and offers more bang for the buck than anything 2-3 times the cost.

To me their soon to be released USB recording controllers look pretty interesting. To pan those before they have been introduced is not a reasonable position.

Like most companies, Behringer is not without faults. I find the intros in their manuals, with Uli's picture and words, not helpful. Like many firms, their manuals are hard to read and find anything. It seems clear that their quality control is not what it could be in some areas. Some categories of their products have a high initial problem incidence occurrence.

Ed

Do y'all think that USB 2.0 is going to catch on as a prominent bus for audio interfaces? It seems that as far as external audio is considered, USB 1.1 is the standard for low bandwith, and FireWire is the standard for high bandwidth... there are only two USB 2.0 audio interfaces that I know of, the Edirol and the Behringer.
This is an important issue to me as I am currently shopping for a new notebook computer, and I have noticed that many manufacturers neglect to equip their notebooks with FireWire, HP/Compaq included. As Firewire has been around for a good 5 years, I see this as a push from PC manufacturers to make USB 2.0 the standard. Even digital camcorders are adopting a USB 2.0/FireWire dual standard so it seems to me that FireWire is now only the dominant bus for high-bandwidth audio. So I am wondering if it would be a good idea to spring for a notebook with a FireWire connection even if it costs a bit more than something comparably equipped.

I am a bit wary about PCMCIA interfaces seeing that as early as this fall, the PCMCIA slots on new notebooks will be replaced with the new PCI Express bus.

I'm guessing that USB 2.0 will continue to grow. Many new PCs come equiped with USB 2.0 now, but firewire seems less likely as a preinstalled interface. The bandwidth for the two is about the same. IT's cheap to add either to a desktop PC, but harder for laptops.

On the other hand, who knows what new interface is lurking just around the corner.

Ed

Burst rates are comparable between USB2.0 and Firewire, but when you look at sustained transfer rates .... Firewire smokes USB2.0!
Thats what one must look at for our intentions in DAW work, sustained transfer rates.

Just my 2 bits.

-Ken

crankz1 said:
Burst rates are comparable between USB2.0 and Firewire, but when you look at sustained transfer rates .... Firewire smokes USB2.0!
Thats what one must look at for our intentions in DAW work, sustained transfer rates.
That's what I was afraid of... I think I'll spring for a notebook that actually has a FireWire connection even if it's not the best deal.

Behringer is a gear maker...some of it is cool, some of it isn't. (I'm actually a happy owner of a Behringer ADA8000)

But can we trust them with DRIVERS? An interface is only as good as its drivers, remember that! I'd stay away, personally, unless their doing something like what Roland did a while ago and getting a respected company on internals design and driver development. (In Roland's case, it was M-Audio...)

Do y'all think that USB 2.0 is going to catch on as a prominent bus for audio interfaces? It seems that as far as external audio is considered, USB 1.1 is the standard for low bandwith, and FireWire is the standard for high bandwidth... there are only two USB 2.0 audio interfaces that I know of, the Edirol and the Behringer.
This is an important issue to me as I am currently shopping for a new notebook computer, and I have noticed that many manufacturers neglect to equip their notebooks with FireWire, HP/Compaq included. As Firewire has been around for a good 5 years, I see this as a push from PC manufacturers to make USB 2.0 the standard. Even digital camcorders are adopting a USB 2.0/FireWire dual standard so it seems to me that FireWire is now only the dominant bus for high-bandwidth audio. So I am wondering if it would be a good idea to spring for a notebook with a FireWire connection even if it costs a bit more than something comparably equipped.

In real world performance scenarios, Firwire's sustained transfer rate still beats USB 2.0.

I am a bit wary about PCMCIA interfaces seeing that as early as this fall, the PCMCIA slots on new notebooks will be replaced with the new PCI Express bus.

Says who? PCI-X will replace PCI and AGP slots on desktops, nothing else (for the time being).

brzilian said:
In real world performance scenarios, Firwire's sustained transfer rate still beats USB 2.0.
That's the conclusion I reached after running a Google search for "Firewire vs. USB 2.0" and looking at the benchmarks. Yet there seems to be a push among such PC manufacturers as HP/Compaq to only have USB 2.0 ports. Why?

Says who? PCI-X will replace PCI and AGP slots on desktops, nothing else (for the time being).
Turns out what I was reading about the ExpressCard was outdated. Notebooks in the near future will in fact have slots for both.

Captain Awesome said:
That's the conclusion I reached after running a Google search for "Firewire vs. USB 2.0" and looking at the benchmarks. Yet there seems to be a push among such PC manufacturers as HP/Compaq to only have USB 2.0 ports. Why?

Simple.

Apple developed and implemented Firwire. Microsoft and Intel backed USB.

Need I say more?

Back