**URGENT** Studio Desk Reconfiguration

fetuslasvegas

Señor Member
This is how my setup currently looks.
432304_561115953902680_1930268203_n-1.jpg
Tomorrow my Mac Pro arrives... which means, the space taken up by the MBP will be free, the display will be coming down to desk level at the very back of the desk, the midi keyboard will be moved between the display and computer keyboard.

To place the display where I want to I will have to either make a cutout on the shelf that the monitors are on, or turn the monitor shelf into 'speaker stands' and remove the entire middle. On the shelf I have my turntable as well, that could come down to front left on the desktop, but then I wouldn't have any room to add an MPC.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. I'm having trouble thinking outside the box on this one. I've seen how much equipment some of you have crammed in, on, and around desks similarly sized to mine!!!

and before anyone says it, the lava lamp is in the bedroom right now... not migrating until the transformation is complete... :thumbs up:

Perhaps you could easily just add a slanted piece of wood for either your APC40 or MPC under the monitor to hold it up right in front of you. Similar to your Macbook position, just farther back. And adding a keyboard shelf for your midi controller would help clear off a lot of desk area. Personally, I have my MIDI keyboard off my desk and to my left. I'd rather have it on my desk, but I simply don't have enough room and just had to move it off eventually.

Thanks for all your help, I have a lot of decisions to make over the next few hours. Hopefully I'll have pictures up of the new setup later.

not necessarily, it is probably better for my back and posture to look up at the monitor rather than down... I think I may prefer it down... why?

Ideally (and this is according to the many workstation assessments and associated literature I have received at work due to my bad back), the top of your screen should be at eye-level and you should look down at the rest of the screen without tilting your head (i.e. just move your eyes as much as possible).

Ideally (and this is according to the many workstation assessments and associated literature I have received at work due to my bad back), the top of your screen should be at eye-level and you should look down at the rest of the screen without tilting your head (i.e. just move your eyes as much as possible).

Thanks jonny, I was pretty sure looking down was the proper configuration. Keeping it on the shelf would definitely keep me from slouching, but the picture just isn't the same viewing from below...

Nothing beats a good chair tho. Glad I got a good one. Have you any acoustic treatment in your room?

Currently no, but luckily a good friend of mine has the MSC1 which does an amazing job of correcting the monitors for my shitty room. I also have my desk on the long wall *GASP!!!! I'm waiting till I get the rest of the unnecessary crap out of the room as it used to be a storage room before I have Auralex come do my free analysis. Then I will DIY all the correction for my room. :)

Yeah, definitely let Auralex do the free analysis, then run for your life, and never buy anything from them. I wish I had purchased stock in the company, because they have effectively sold crap to millions of customers, with a overpriced product, that has little effect on treating a rooms real issues. Low end. But then I would be a rich asshole...

Rockwool (Roxul80), or Owens Corning 703/5 is the only way to go. Maybe some spot treatment with foam for reflections, and the fact that it looks cool.

Just my opinion, but it is a good one :)

Yeah, definitely let Auralex do the free analysis, then run for your life, and never buy anything from them. I wish I had purchased stock in the company, because they have effectively sold crap to millions of customers, with a overpriced product, that has little effect on treating a rooms real issues. Low end. But then I would be a rich asshole...

Rockwool (Roxul80), or Owens Corning 703/5 is the only way to go. Maybe some spot treatment with foam for reflections, and the fact that it looks cool.

Just my opinion, but it is a good one :)

Indeed!! I plan on going with Roxul Safe 'n Sound, not sure if that is the same as 80?? Bass traps, a few panels on the walls and ceiling for reflection, and I may build a nice little diffuser. I love the projects, but as of right now, I know my monitors and my room and my mixes are transferring perfectly right now. Don't fix it if it ain't broke right??

aaaaaaaaaaand..... it's finished!!!
now I'm enjoying those two delicious beverages :thumbs up:
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
So like....do you have some kind of trapeze harness or something....so that you can work upside-down...???

Do you use glue or Velcro to hold everything attached to the table....?

Are you in an zero-gravity studio...???

$829 chair?! Are they the same as in the space shuttle? :laughings:

Only in the zero gravity space station studio...

That is the manufacturer's site, you can get them waaaaaaay cheaper on amazon, or if you catch a sale at an office supply store, or reposes one from your Dad's office...

Back