Upgrading from a usb AT2020 Microphone?

andreskim

Hello! So heres the situation, I currently have a AT2020 usb microphone. I was thinking of upgrading my mic to a XLR + USB interface. Right now I'm looking at the Blue microphone spark with a ART dual preamp USB. If i were to upgrade to that setup, will there be a big difference in the sound quality? By the way, I am an amateur still in high school and the AT2020 was the first mic i ever purchased so i have no idea how XLRS with preamps sound like compared to USB mics. If you guys have any other suggestions for a cheap setup please feel free to recommend. Do note that I am on a tight budget (200ish range)

I will also be using the mic mostly for recording vocals and acoustics (For youtube)

The mic maybe, the interface maybe not. Although probably not any worse than the ADC with most USB mics. It will open up some options. Like putting a higher end preamp between the mic and interface. But I haven't really been impressed with Arts low end preamps (< $100 a channel).

Given that the spark is supposed to run $200-ish by itself, I think that you've already blown your budget. (taxes + shipping + ....). And don't forget that you'll need an XLR cable for the XLR mic. i.e. More $$$. It just came out so I wouldn't expect too many on the used market (yet).

could you guys recommend decent but not overly expensive interfaces along with a combination of a mic that will be around 250? And also is it because it's a usb that the ART preamp is a bad interface? or is it because the ART preamp is just bad in general. I know theres also firewire but i dont really quite understand the setup necessary to connect it to your computer.

It's mostly because I've never heard of the Art USB interface. And I've had their $30-ish (used to be $90-ish) Art Tube MP preamp and it mostly sucked.

It depends on your needs. Are you looking at 16/48 or less sampling rates? M-Audio Mobile Pre, Emu 0404, Edirol UA-25, and others for not a lot (used). And some newer ones with potential for 24/96 like the M-Audio Fast Track PRO. If you only need one or two channels. If you need more than that then firewire might be an option there. But you're probably talking > $50 a channel and if there's 8 of them, that's $400 right there.

If you just want to be slightly better than low end. At current an AT3035 (used) for $100-ish. An M-Audio Mobile Pre (used) for $80-ish. An XLR cable for $40-ish. And that's $220. With $30 left for a mic stand and accessories. But if you're wanting to add a set of headphones and other things, they all tend to add up when tallied as a whole. Plus the computer and other things if you don't already have those things.

Not very musical of me, but I've been doing the audio on my new origami youtube channel with the AT3035.

YouTube - Origami Rabbit from a US dollar bill

Granted that my backend is a bit better than those other interfaces. AT3035 -> Audio Magic Extreme cable -> Sound devices MM-1 -> MR-1000 and a ton of editing from 24/192 BWF to 16/48 AAC. With video from an aging Sanyo FH1 ($300-ish).

The only concerns i have with the preamps you guys suggested is the compatability issue that may arise. I run windows 7 64 bit and most of the complaints about the preamps (m-audio and fastrack) on amazon were because they could not get it to function properly because they were running (Windows 7 64bit). On the other hand, i just realized the ART preamp runs 1.1 usb. Compared to 2.0 usb interfaces.

is there a significant difference in sound quality while running a 1.1 usb vs 2.0 usb interface? sorry if this is going off tangent xD

Ok guys I think think this is what I'll be settling for.

M-audio fasttrack usb 2. --> it was one of the few affordable preamps on amazon that was a usb 2.0 interface and also had phantom power
XLR Cable
Mic stand
And now the microphone. I'm having problems deciding which one to choose. I'm looking at the AT2035 - 100$, The blue microphone spark - 150$, the mxl 2006 - 100$, and the MXL V67G,which is also around 100$. Apparently the AT3035 as you mentioned shadow, has been discontinued so i couldn't find any of those on amazon.

the total comes out to be 220-260$ depending on which mic i choose, which is still in my price range. So which mic do you guys think is most appropriate for the situation? (mostly vocals singing / guitar ).

I wouldn't fret too much on driver issues at this point. If the box says USB class compliant, you're mostly good to go. Even if it takes windows 7 a good 6+ months to catch up with the times.

If you "need" 24/96, then by all means get a USB 2.x device. USB 1.x devices are pretty much limited to 16/48 and 2 channels, which is pretty limited. But I have used 2x USB 1.x devices to capture 4x inputs simultaneously. It's not ideal, but it's "possible". And that doesn't mean that they're not perfectly capable devices (within their limits). I opt for 24/192, because there's no do-overs, and in our digitally noisy world, those 20kHz+ frequencies are more common than we wish to admit and sampling at the higher frequencies lets us more accurately filter them out. But beyond that if I only used dynamic or ribbon mics, I probably wouldn't bother with that.

All of those mics you listed are fairly well liked. With the exception of the MXL 2006, which I haven't heard much about.

If you have a car you might check out craigslist. eBay is fine and all, but if you're buying many cheap items, S&H can add up pretty quick. With a local seller, you at least get to "look" at the device before you fork over some cash. And maybe give a whirl too, if you have a somewhat mobile setup (or a mobile home) to power it.

Now your using XLR, why not try and just go with an SM58. You wont find a more versatile mic. with glowing reviews. Or even stick with the AT2020 non usb.

I have a friend who did a really nice recording with just garageband and a USB AT2020. So it isn't garbage, you can still use the 2020. For my money, though, an SM57 ($80) or a decent LDC ($150) make a great 1st XLR mic.

I went through the same upgrading. I upgraded from an M-Audio Producer USB to the Focusrite 2i2 interface and ran an Audio Technica AT2020 XLR through it. It's a great set up, but no where near enough for truly high quality recording. You'll need a foam padded area to cut down on bouncing sounds and I'd also recommend a vocal isolation pad behind the mic. And whatever you're recording into needs RAM, because that 48v Phantom power required will slow you down if your PC can't handle it. I'd recommend that set up to anybody just starting off. I'm very you, 18, and starting as of a year ago, with hopes of being a professional producer and audio engineer, as well as recording artist.

You'll need a foam padded area to cut down on bouncing sounds and I'd also recommend a vocal isolation pad behind the mic.
See the studio building forum RE: foam.

And whatever you're recording into needs RAM, because that 48v Phantom power required will slow you down if your PC can't handle it. I'd recommend that set up to anybody just starting off.
Plenty of ram is certainly a good thing, but it has no relationship to 48V phantom power supply.

Back