Updated Vintage Sound

nkjanssen

I noticed in the latest Sweetwater spam that they advertise the AKG 414 B-XL II as having "updated vintage sound". I'm not sure what it is, but something about me finds that amusing.

I think what it's trying to say is that ... well ... it's still vintage. But it's vintage that's been updated. Kind of like it's old, but it's new at the same time. Outdated, but still cutting edge.

You know, I actually sort of know the copywriter over at Sweetwater's FT. Wayne office. I should shoot him an email and get his thoughts on this one. :D

It means, if you don't know what a vintage 414 sounds like, you won't notice the difference.

It could also mean that everything is exactly the way it was, just different.

Which would be better? An "updated vintage sound" or an "outdated modern sound"? Or would they be the same thing?

Well, you know, everything used to sound different. May be related to global warming in recent years causing a change in atmosphere. The "updated" part of it is that the manufacturer has changed the mic's characteristics to compensate for the fact that we can't even hear the "vintage" sound now the way we used to.

The 414 B-XL II uses the newer C12 capsule, so in a sense it uses a "vintage" capsule. This is not a true vintage capsule, but it is a newer version of an old favorite. Also, the 414 has been a classic mic in many mic collections for many years. This is just the newest in the long line of different versions of the 414. Even if it is not "vintage", I bet it still sounds pretty good.

Cheers,
Zach

nkjanssen said:
Which would be better? An "updated vintage sound" or an "outdated modern sound"?

whichever sounds EXACTLY LIKE a neumann for under $100 would be better.

duh. haven't you been around here long enough to figure that out by now? :p

cheers,
wade

Back