Unprofessional or just goofy?

So whaddaythink?

• Unprofessional.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Just goofy.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Both.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Shut up, you're the drummer. Shouldn't you be counting?

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadAudio

Damned if I do
So the bass player in my band sometimes gets a little too excited on stage, and every now and then he will clap along with the audience after a song is done. I find it annoying and even a little embarrassing. He hasn't done it at every gig, and usually just once when he does.

What's your view?

I went with D, but that is only because I know that you should be counting, but at the same time its goofy, so I was torn.

God I can just imagine my old bass player doing the same thing. He always just did stupid things, like say to another band "Hey dude where did you get your amp?" went it is an ampeg something or other, which is easily found at guitar center. Maybe it's just me but I hate it when people I am associated with just seem like idiots.

So the bass player in my band sometimes gets a little too excited on stage, and every now and then he will clap along with the audience after a song is done. I find it annoying and even a little embarrassing. He hasn't done it at every gig, and usually just once when he does.

What's your view?
My view is that you and the rest of the band should join in with your bass player to clap along with the audience. At the very least....the audience would read it as a sign that you appreciate the recognition they are giving you and that you are also recognizing their appreciation.

During the late 60's, 70's, and '80's I was part of of a band that played to a living audience week in and week out. People always clapped at the end of a song when they were on the dance floor. As band members...we responded in kind.

FWIW, the minute you ignore the connection the audience is making with you.......you're toast as a live band.

Think about it.

goofy (imho).
it sounds like the kind of thing that will get increasingly annoying until you can't take it anymore, so maybe you should talk to the dude about it to see if you can work something out.

I'd say it's goofy but harmless. As long as it's appropriate to the kind of music and venues you play (rock I assume?) and the audience doesn't get annoyed by it, it's probably not hurting anything.

I think 60's guy's got it right. Clapping with the audience is interacting with them. The more you can interact with you audience, the better.

Whatever happened to the days when you'd flick off the audience at the end of every song? Man, DC has changed . . . :(

i voted both, but it is pretty harmless. there's always someone in the band that embarrasses the rest of the members. just be thankful your singer isn't embarrassing you--he'd be doing much worse things.

although i have to say that one bassist i played with was a huge michigan u fan. i showed up at the practice space to get my drums a few hours before a show, and he was there, wearing a michigan doo-rag, a michigan sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off, yellow sneakers, and.....oh, it pains me to remember this...michigan parachute pants.

the guitarist and i looked at each other, and i said to the dude, "you're not wearing that tonight are you?" he seemed a bit offended, and he did indeed take the stage in that costume.

and we were a metal band for pete's sake!!! how do you go out there and crank out pantera, fear factory, and sepultura songs looking like that???

i feel your pain.

What's your view?

That's total gayness.

Back