Unique recording environment help???

circle x

I will be living in a hotel room for a couple months while I relocate to Washington D.C. (currently in Colorado Springs). I will be working on some demo projects during my transition. I have to decide if I should buy the KRK RP 6 ($300 for the ugly yellow) or by the Beyerdynamic DT 770 ($249) for tracking, mixing and mastering. I have a pair of HD 280's as well. I am using a UX1, Sonar 7 Pro, and a couple guitars. I have been able to get some really nice mixes using just the 280's but not quite what I would like. I am worried if I get the RP6's that, even at low volumes, I will be too loud for the hotel. On the other hand, I really want to be able to make some good quality mixes while adding to my future studio gear cab. Help??? (budget $300)

I did these using just eh 280's while in Iraq:

Vested

Last edited:
I don't see how you're going to learn new headphones without monitors for mix checking. I would stick with the headphones that you are used to. You could get a ton of guitar tracking and editing done, and get the mixes close enough to quickly fix once you have access to monitors at a proper volume (which is way too loud for a hotel, I would think).

There are better things to do after work in DC anyway :cool:

I don't see how you're going to learn new headphones without monitors for mix checking. I would stick with the headphones that you are used to. You could get a ton of guitar tracking and editing done, and get the mixes close enough to quickly fix once you have access to monitors at a proper volume (which is way too loud for a hotel, I would think).

There are better things to do after work in DC anyway

Maybe I will just worry about tracking and editing. I may purchase the ugly RP6's (yellow) because the price is so good and fire them up when I move. As for things to do in D.C. ------- :D

My compliments on some very tasty music there.

Thanks! Once I get settled, I am sure the mix/mastering will be much better. The 280's can only take you so far!

Back