Help..! A noob problem with a single voice VO recording & the EPM-6 mixer (Soundcraft)

Libertinus

Though a mixing noob, I'm trying to use a Soundcraft EPM6 mixer, a BeyerDynamic DT 291broadcasting headset & a DBX 166sx compressor to record speech to a Sound Devices Mixpre-6 II.

I have the compressor connected to channel 1 insert point, the headset mic connected to channel 1 mic xlr input and the headphone jack to EPM6's phones output.

From the mixer's stereo out 1 L & R is a Y-cable running to Mixpre recoder's aux in minijack.

The compressor works ok, I hear my speech (compressed) in my ears, the mixer's level leds show there is a good signal, but in the recorder there is no action whatsoever, no matter how high the recorder's and/or mixer's gain.

I tried even the mixer's record out and 2-track (phono) connectors to the aux in mini jack in the recorder - no action.

Surely I merely have some button combination wrong - could anyone have an educated guess how to make this working?

Thanks!

L.

I would try connecting mixer main XLR outs to recorder channels 1 & 2 combo sockets using XLR to 6.5mm jack cables.
Thank you! Will have to get suitable cables.

At the moment got another problem with the mixpre-6 II, though: An XLR cable sits firmly stuck in the mic in number 1 XLR socket.

No amount of pushing the release button while pulling the XLR connector is enough.

I even screwed the XLR plug open, which let me pull the XLR pins free, but the outer part of the XLR plug still sits firmly and adamantly in the mic input XLR socket.

The XLR connector of the cable is *not* a Neutrik one - and apparently the Mixpre can ONLY handle Neutrik XLR connectors. (Read that on the net) I wish I'd known that beforehand.

Lousy quality and lousy information from SoundDevices, I feel.

>:(

L

Back