unable to open a file

carlosguardia

I have worked with sonar for many years now. I currently run 7.02 producer. I have a couple of files that I did for an artist about a year ago or maybe more. I don't recall what plugins I used in the files and am not 100% sure that the same plugins are still installed in my computer since I had to re-install my Win XP and have yet to install some of the freewares (antress modern plugs etc etc).

My problem is, the artist came to the studio the other day wanting me to remix his files and add a couple of new elements and I was unable to open them... I would find the .cwp and try to open it but Sonar would just freeze! Has this happened to any of you?!?! Is there any solution other than finding the individual wav files and importing them into a new project?! What happens to the midi info?!?!

Thanks,

Carlos

I've never ran into anything like that...

Might be a question for the Cakewalk support folks.

They're usually pretty awesome with sticky issues like that.

Well just to let you all know that I finally was able to open these files. I opened them in safe mode, which I didn't know existed until yesterday. To open a file in safe mode all you need to do is hold shift while clicking the file you want to open and voilá! I beleive the problem was with a plugin that I hadn´t reinstalled and therefore Sonar was stuck looking for it in order to open the file. I deleted the plugins, saved and now it works perfectly!

Im glad you got up and running but I dont think it ws a plugin issue.If you load a project onto a say different computer and it does not have the same plugins a message box will come up,you then continue to work w/out those plugins. I have jumped projects around different computers a lot. I have had this many times, but never frooze up, just plugin message. Might have just been your computer?Something running in background/comflict? Just keep that in mind,glad it worked out for you.

Check in the manual how to open it in safe mode (something like opening the file while holding ctrl or shift or ???)

T.

Back