ultra newbie recording question..

DeathKnell

I recently purchased a yamaha DGX-205, I have no troubles getting it to insert midi data into most programs.. but the problem is, I want to record the actual sound from the keyboard, not have to replace it with crappy samples.

What are the basics that i'm probably overlooking? I'd like to just record a .wav file in something like CoolEdit pro. (I have a soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard)

I was went into sound controls, and went through each of the choices for 'recording' (microphone, line-in etc.) to no avail.

It plugs into the computer through USB which made me realise why perhaps line-in wouldn't work.

Any basic ideas? I can usually work this type of stuff out by myself.

thanks!

Yup. Sounds like you only have the MIDI I/O hooked up. MIDI is only data, not audio. You need to hook up the audio to record the DGX into the computer.

AAAH, it just dawned on me...

The headphone input doubles as as the Output.. so I just need a cord that will go from that to the line-in on my soundcard and everything should be dandy??

DeathKnell said:
AAAH, it just dawned on me...

The headphone input doubles as as the Output.. so I just need a cord that will go from that to the line-in on my soundcard and everything should be dandy??

Sounds like you figured it out. Ain't it grand how often-times all you have to do is ask a question and then you figure it out yourself? The mind is a weird, weird thing my friend.

Back