Ultimate analog

jedblue

beep beep beep beep beep
Bugger tape or vinyl, I'm going here next...

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/9VymAn8QJNQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/9VymAn8QJNQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

I think?

:rolleyes:

That, is...huh. Wow.

But digitally controlled??

I didn't catch how the triggers are recorded and reproduced and I'm assuming via MIDI since he has been a masterful utilizer of MIDI technology for ages...

I love what he said about overdubbing to ones own self, the fingerprints matching. That really touches on one of the main reasons home multitracking really took off I believe, because there is a joy to playing to your own tracks and I definitely find that when I record drum part, for instance and then dub in a bass part that my particular rhythmic emphases will fall in line wthout even thinking about it. A syncopated fill that I did on kit gets matched improvisationally as I track the bass part because my mind thinks of and hears things being set up in a certain way and when I play the bass in a way that plays off of of enhances the drum part it feels like "oh hey drummer that was awesome...did you hear that?"...It is the feeling of spontaneous integration even though in a way it isn't spontaneous because it all came from my head, but it is nothing less than fun.

Pat Metheny has been doing "amazing" for many, many years now...As a young'n my brother was listening to his stuff...one of my favorite pieces ofmusic as an early teen was Barcarole...a few years later when I started playing drums Danny Gottleib's playing on that piece was inspirational.

There are innovators, and there are artists...and then there innovative artists/artist innovators.

Back