Uad-1

likefire

Ok,

I am seriously looking into one of these now.

The one thing I am curious about is what is included with the card. When you go to the site, they have the pultec eq shown but in the list of included plugins, it's not on the list. Same is true with the 1176E compressor.

What's the deal?

Both the Pultec EQ and the 1176 are inculded. I don't know if they sound close to the originals, I doubt it, and I don't care. They both sound incredibly musical and they're both processor hogs :D (meaning the processor on the UAD, there is minimal if any hit on the host CPU or course).

Other then that, I find myself using the EX channel strips more often than the built in EQs in Cubase SX. RealVerb is pretty decent and sounds "airy".

The LA2A is easy to overuse because you can crank it up w/o much audible issues, I constantly catch myself doing it, and have to force myself to be consious of it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

It does help. I am seriously considering the UAD because I am getting less and less enthused my the eq and compression that SX has to offer. I tend to use eq's on all my channels and compressors on a lot of them as well. It's an issue of finding something better that will be as economical on my cpu.

How many of the plugins can you run on the card simultaneously before it begins to crap out? Mackie and UA seem to be rather vague about it even though you would expect them to be able to know this.

Thanks again for your help,
bryan

Sorry, didn't catch this sooner.

The channel strips are pretty easy on the card, even at 88.2/32. Can't say the same for 1176 though. At high resolutions one instance can take up about 30-40%. However, IMHO even the compressors on the channel strips are a step up from what you get stock with SX. For the most part that's what I use, and reserve 1176 to compress subgrups like drum tracks for example. YMMV.

Back