two heads into one cabent??

jasgav

I have a 79 marshall single channel tube combo amp but I don't use the speaker in it. I use the combo as a 65 lb head and run it into a 4-12. The marshall sounds great, however, it's hard to get clean sound out of it even rolling back on the volume on the guitar. I was wondering if I can use an a/b switch to switch between the marshall and a solid state head for the clean tones and run both heads into the same cab? It has two in/out puts. I play with a light/post rock band.
thanks

I don't think it's stereo. Would a y-connector work or is that a bad idea too? two heads into a y-connector into one input on the cab...

Unless it's a stereo cabinet DON'T do this. A/B switches work fine if you are using them before the power is applied from the amp (meaning between your guitar and the amp/s). Using them after the power is applied is a way to destroy some of your components.

It won't work. Radial Engineering makes a box that lets you switch between two heads going into one cab, though.

Running the two heads into one cab and switching between them will cook one of the heads.

Running the two heads into an A/B box and switching between them will cook your tube head for sure.

ok I get it. don't do it!!
guitar > a/b switch > into marshall into/cab 1 and ss head into/cab 2 = no fried amps = happy guitar player

also i would watch out for any switching device that allows that kinda use... the problem being there may not be the right load on the tube amp when switched off... WAY BAD IDEA !!!

I got lost in this thread a bit but, has anyone suggested, splitting the speakers up into 2 sets of 2 ala stereo cabinet?

If it's a 4x12, open it up, re-cable the speaker harness for 2 2x12 configuration or better yet, set it up for 4x12 mono and 2x12 stereo. You should be able to do it for less than $20 and a half hour (give or take) of time. If you're handy with wood, you could add a divider baffle to make it really slick.

Just a thought.

Be weary of switching things that take the load off amp outputs. I think I read someone warning of this. No load on tube amp out = toast.

I got lost in this thread a bit but, has anyone suggested, splitting the speakers up into 2 sets of 2 ala stereo cabinet?

If it's a 4x12, open it up, re-cable the speaker harness for 2 2x12 configuration or better yet, set it up for 4x12 mono and 2x12 stereo. You should be able to do it for less than $20 and a half hour (give or take) of time. If you're handy with wood, you could add a divider baffle to make it really slick.

Just a thought.

Be weary of switching things that take the load off amp outputs. I think I read someone warning of this. No load on tube amp out = toast.

Yeah i would suggest what this guy said..make the cab stereo yourself! Save some cash on buying a brand new cab.

i do have a stereo 2-12 and the 4-12 I welcome any more ideas but from everything posted it sound like I should pick up another two channel head or live with slight crunch with the volume rolled back

Don't do it.

If you have no load on an amp you can fry the OT or tubes or both and more, especially Marshalls.

Stereo cab with the speakers split and one head driving one pair the other head driving the other pair, yes it will work.

But it will sound like crap.

Stop thinking so much and learn how to get a good sound from one amp, then the other.

I feel people spend too much time trying to think up crazy ideas when all the sound you really need is in your hands.

You would be surprised how good an amp sounds when you turn down your volume control on your guitar, amazing....all of a sudden it cleans up, unless you use certain stomp boxes and leave them on. There's your nice clean sound, especially if your playing is more precise and not sloppy.

Practice your playing and that will do more to get a great tone and sound from your equipment.

Maybe not what you want to hear but the truth none the less.

Bob Bradshaw (yeah, the guy who made all the racks for all the eighties hair metal guys) at Custom Audio Electronics makes an amp switcher, which would allow you to do this. Without something like this, don't do it, as you will make your amps transformers go BOOM. Well, actually, they will probably just start on fire, but same difference.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back