Two acoustic diddy's for the penut gallery

santiu

Rock-scientist
hey all. Got a chance to record a phenomenal artist this weekend. Got two little acoustic tracks here (one instrumental, one with vocals), and looking for a critique on the mix. Any comments, suggestions, criticisms are greatly appreciated :D I hope you guys enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed getting to record the guy!

On the second song, any suggestions on getting a bit more beef on the vocals? Should i just EQ up the low end a bit? I think there's some weird phase thing going on that's bugging my ears (guitar and singing at the same time, two mics, and the singing bled a lot into the guitar mic) but i don't really know how to confirm that this is really the case and if it is, what to do to fix it.

I listened to the instrumental, nice playing. I think the lead guitar needs to be bought up in the mix, the rhythm guitar has a few boomy moments that bury the lead guitar slightly. Maybe reduce the low's on the rhythm guitar.
A minor mix issue that could be the difference between my listening environment and yours.
I enjoyed my listen. Thanx for sharing santiu. :)

2 acoustic ditties for the peanut gallery

Vocal track - I wouldn't beef up the vocal with any EQ. Maybe a tiny little bit of chorus or reverb - set so it's only just audible & then backed off a bit more.
Some of the bass notes on the guitar that's playing more runs is a bit boomy - could do with a high pass filter.
Good song, very good singing & playing.
Do you know what the "peanut gallery" is?
Why do you think that's what this forum is?
Definitions of peanut gallery:
* (figurative) people whose criticisms are regarded as irrelevant or insignificant (resembling uneducated people who throw peanuts on the stage to .heckle the performer/s.
* second balcony: rearmost or uppermost area in the balcony containing the least expensive seats
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback so far guys! Super appreciated!

rayc, with regards to the "peanut gallery". I always thought it referred to the cheap seats who would be rowdy and heckle the performer. "Home recording"" being in a way the back row behind the pros, and seeing as hell, it's fun to get rowdy in here I thought it was a cute joke :p LOL, i didn't mean to insinuate that the opinions here were insignificant! Otherwise i wouldn't be here.

It's OK, I knew what you were getting at. I must've been in a particularly pedantic mood last night.
Your definition is 87.75% right without the classist connotations it started with.
Rowdy? me? Well, sometimes.
Lennon differentiated between those who clapped & those who rattled their jewels.
Godd song!

Awesome job on the straight instrumental one! At about 1:20-1:21, somewhere around there, it sounds like the guitar in the right flubs a little bit, but nothing major. Also maybe a low-cut on the 2 outside ones just to help with the bass notes - some seemed a bit boomy. Great job though, sounds good!

Do you know what the "peanut gallery" is?

More importantly, does he know who Diddy is? :p

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that occurred to me was "ah f*#k, one P. Diddy is more than enough." [/lame jokes]

Anyway, I agree with the comments here these performances are very good!

Back