Tuning Drums: A Poll

Do you enjoy tuning drums?

• Absolutely! It's great fun!

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I don't mind.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I'd rather hit myself in the head with a rubber mallet.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • A drummers gotta do what a drummers gotta do.

Votes: 30 36.1%

• Total voters

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
If you've ever put new heads on a drumset, you know what I'm talking about.

I just completed, after 2 NIGHTS of tinkering, setting up everything and tuning.

I put on new batter AND resos on EVERY Drum. Kick, 2 Snares, and 4 toms.

The toms are still off a bit, so it'll take some playing to get right again, but it was already worth the purchase and effort thus far!

Anywho, I hate tuning drums, but it has to be done.

Sometimes I wish I didn't play drums anymore, only guitar.

ok, that's a lie, but it still blows. :rolleyes:

Dude i feel your pain. I have two bass drums, one snare, and four toms. But I normally only re-head everything about once a year, and my resonant heads well really never go bad, but I might replace them every couple of years. But yeah it takes a while.

I like tuning drums as long as I have some time set aside and don't have to rush. I think it's fun because you're basically taking control of what your drum is going to sound like. It's the most important part of getting a good drum sound, so its almost like "building" a sound or something. Its almost like cooking in a way. If you take your time the end results will be better. But then most people would rather have someone else cook the food for them. Can't really argue with that.

jaykeMURD said:
If you've ever put new heads on a drumset, you know what I'm talking about.

I just completed, after 2 NIGHTS of tinkering, setting up everything and tuning.

I put on new batter AND resos on EVERY Drum. Kick, 2 Snares, and 4 toms.

The toms are still off a bit, so it'll take some playing to get right again, but it was already worth the purchase and effort thus far!

Anywho, I hate tuning drums, but it has to be done.

Sometimes I wish I didn't play drums anymore, only guitar.

ok, that's a lie, but it still blows. :rolleyes:

I know, but that's the way to do it right! Just get the drum to sound great with no added muting, out the right mics on it and BAMO!! There's the sound!

I don't like doing it but after the fact I'm always glad I did. Kinda like changing guitar strings but I never want to let it come to that obsessiveness. I change the strings on my classical once a week.

at least your not restringing an upright piano. I dont understand what the big deal is. the more you do it`the easier it gets. after about twenty years and thousands of drumheads its second nature and should only take 1/2 hour or so. Thats unless you have a 10 piece drumset (in that case you are probably not gigging too much so you probably don't change heads that often)

i hate tuneing, and it's something i'm forced to do often being a (small) working studio. i'm suprised how few drummers know how to tune thier instrument.

i finally broke down and ordered one of those tension tuner thingies, i'll let you know.

giraffe said:
i hate tuneing, and it's something i'm forced to do often being a (small) working studio. i'm suprised how few drummers know how to tune thier instrument.

i finally broke down and ordered one of those tension tuner thingies, i'll let you know.

The drum dial will most likely help you get most of the drum head tensioned evenly, but it may or may not help get you "in tune".

You really have to spend time with the drum when you change heads - getting them to seat properly is crucial.

I know it's confusing, but the drum tuning bible has great info. Do a search.

Tuning starts with the bearing edges. If you don't have a relatively new custom kit, I'd set the drum on a flat surface (preferably marble, not glass) and shine a light at the edge. If you can see any light peeking through, bring the kit to a local drum shop and have them re-edge it (actually call them first and find out if they do it). Also run your fingers along the edges, if there are any dips or bumps, take it in.

I like sharper edges (double 45 degree) with just a bit of rounding...maybe not even a full ply's worth. This gives maximum sustain and a good deal of punch with some ring. If you want less ring or a warmer drum, go with a full roundover. If you've got an older kit, or if you bought one off-the-shelf from a major manufacturer, get it re-edged. Even $2000 kits have crap edges a lot of the time (my Pearl kit was HORRIBLE, my Tamas were too round).

Anyways, a full re-edging probably takes a couple hours or so for an experienced guy to do. Compliment it with some new heads, and you should be golden.

Now with tuning, Google the "drum tuning bible" by Professor Sound...I like the hair dryer trick for seating and the cross-tuning on snares. For everything else, I just go around in a circle tightening the rods just enough to raise the pitch a bit towards that rod. Eventually you'll want to go around the entire drum TAPPING near the rod and get the overtones to be the same in pitch. This will be impossible if your shell is out of round, your edges are bad, your heads are worn, or your hoop is warped. As I said before, I wouldn't trust any major manufacturer to cut a decent edge.

If you couldn't tell, I do build drums and I do have a custom kit right now. The edges from all custom builders are light years beyond the majors. Hell my own edges are better than the majors. For years I couldn't figure out why I spent forever tuning and still wasn't happy...last week I took delivery of a custom kit and there are NO dead spots anywhere and the sharp edges allowed me to tune up the entire kit in less than twenty minutes.

It's all in the edges.

giraffe said:
...i'm suprised how few drummers know how to tune thier instrument...

Same here. I have tuned drums for young drummers prior to recording them. I can't believe how many of them neglect it altogether.

When I was young, tuning was one of the first things I learned about my new drums. Well, that is, I was fortunate enough to have a teacher who showed me how.

He explained that if I enjoyed the way my instrument sounded, (i.e., correctly tuned,) then I would always play my best. On the other hand, if I was embarrassed by poor tuning, my performances would likely reflect that. Now, many years later, his words are still ringing in my head. How right he was!

I can't say that I really enjoy tuning, but I can say that I enjoy playing freshly tuned drums. So, the end justifies the means.

I've played in weekend bar bands for years and always tweaked my tuning frequently. Sometimes two or three times each show, (between sets, of course.) I changed my heads an average of every six months. Also, I frequently tried different brands and models of heads in an effort to find that ultimate sound. You wouldn't believe how much different types and thicknesses of heads can change the sound of a single drum.

RawDepth

Yeah the moment for me was when I was playing a show at 13 and I'd get compliments from a lot of people "dude you rock but you sound like ass" and the like :D

I spent a few months working on my tuning, trying out different things, trying to develop a method. I "upgraded" to a $1500 Pearl Session kit which sounded a little better, but not much. All the while I kept experimenting with heads and tuning.

The tables turned when I bought a $200 used Pacific cheapie kit...this is the second best kit I've ever owned. Edges were sharp, shells were round (even though they were cheap wood), had 32 pitch die cast lugs, just a great kit. I sold my Pearls and bought a Starclassic, that was a little easier to tune.

For me, thin shells, flanged hoops, sharp edges, and fresh heads. I don't care about the details. I can make them sound good so long as I have those four things.

petermiller said:
at least your not restringing an upright piano. I dont understand what the big deal is. the more you do it`the easier it gets. after about twenty years and thousands of drumheads its second nature and should only take 1/2 hour or so. Thats unless you have a 10 piece drumset (in that case you are probably not gigging too much so you probably don't change heads that often)
20 years is a long time though... im not even 20.

haha but to the threadstarter I find tuning to be annoying at times just because it can take a lot of time, but at the same time it can be fun experimenting with different tunings and learning more. I always like the sounds i get after im done too.

Great views guys.

It's a nessicary evil, that's for sure.

Like one poster stated, the ends justify the means. Once my drums or whatnot are tuned correctly, I'm pretty happy!

I also concur with the statement about having your drums in tune will make you more confident. But not just drums, ANY instrument. I don't want anything holding me back, especially in front of a crowd! ;)

Yareek said:
Eventually you'll want to go around the entire drum TAPPING near the rod and get the overtones to be the same in pitch.

Another method that I like to do is to do a light buz stroke while pulling the stick about 2 inches towards the center of the head. It drags the tone of the lug out a bout more than tapping sometimes, especially on snares.

I come from a marching/rudimental background (and still teach it), so I'm used to a lot of head changing and precise tuning. Changing and tuning 8 kevlar snare batter heads, 8 snare side heads, 10 marching bass heads, and 24 tenor heads to in 4 hours will kill your wrist.

I have never played with a drummer that spent any significant time tuning their drums. Lazy bastards! :D

I started out as a drummer, and my first kit was a Slingerland red sparkle kit with true skin heads.

Those heads changed tune with every weather change. I got very good at tuning! :)

I seriously love tuning my drums. There's just something fun to me about tinkering away on them all night until i get the sound i want.

I dont HATE tuning but its very tedious for me. The whole time I'm doing it, I just want to be playing them instead. I'm horrible at tuning so it takes me a long time, but once the tuning's done it's always worth it.

Back