tube compressor woes

goinpostal

I have a Bellari RP282 tube compressor that I just traded for. Taking the dealer's word that it worked I didn't try it out. Here's my problems with it:VU meters and meter lights don't work;ratio,attack,release controls seem to not work;meter buttons don't seem to work the gain reduction and output like it's supposed to;the output level and threshold work as well as the active and stereo link buttons.
My hookup is:guitar cable into a pedal tuner then into an OD pedal. Out of the OD into the XLR input. Then out of the XLR output into my amp head. I also ran TS cables into and out of the 1/4 unbalanced input and output jacks.
I'm asking for help with this thing;do I need to send it in for repairs,am I not hooking it up correctly (do I need to run it through my Tascam M2516 mixer),or...?
I'm not hearing any sonic difference when it's on. My past comps have been dbx 166s and 266s so my ears are accustomed to them and what I can get out of the dbx comps.
So again-HELP!
By the way-the store where I got my comp does have a 7 day exchange but I'm hoping I won't have to send it in for repairs. Being an unemployed mailman since February has put a major strain on my finances.
Thanks for the help fellow recorders :)

The guitar output from the pedal will not drive the input of this compressor, it is designed for +4dB not instrument inputs, The threshold controls on this compressor work back to front, so turn left to lower the threshold and increase when the compression starts.

Manual here, if you haven't got one.

The vu lights could just be blown globes.

alan.

Back