Try & Fail

applejax

Hey guys this is my first post of an MP3 on here. The song is called "try and fail" and it's about Columbine. This is my first release of a recording on my new Roland VS-2480.

First of all, there is no vocals in this track because I dont have a good enough LDC to bother recording vocals with :D

Second, the drums were recorded with two shitty mics (look for my topic about Monitors in the Other Equipment forum, i explained to CoolCat all about it). and they're in MONO.

Third, there actually was no bass used as of yet... used my guitar and cut all of the high's out of it with EQ and recorded what I want to be called "the bass track" So it wont have the sound as I would like when I do record the actual bass lol.

Fourth, this song is still in rough stages, I threw it all together just to record the song.

Anyways, I personally love listening to this song it just takes me back when I sing and perform it with my band... I'm not saying you'll like it, but I really do like alot of my own music. I write for myself I guess lol. Anyways, when I get the vocals done (which wont be until I get my SPC3) I'll show you guys. The vocals really add another level to the song so wait for that lol :)

Anyways enough talking here's the song:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=424584

PS - Give me song thoughts on recording and stuff keeping in mind my situation LOL and what you think of the song?

Last edited:
applejax said:
I'm not saying you'll like it, but I really do like alot of my own music. I write for myself I guess
Cool, I like that sentence. It's downloading now.

applejax said:
when I sing and perform it with my band...

What instruments does your band play?

:D

Sorry. Had a flashback.

I'll get you some feedback on your song in a bit. Got too many things going on right now to give it a solid listen.

Well i ment band mates :D lol... I play guitar and lead vox in the band, but I've been playing drums for 7 years. Btw, I recorded all of that stuff by myself! It's all me on guitar and drums.

No no...not at all...I like that sincerely. You play what YOU like instead of trying to follow any fads or what you think will sell. It's cool.

I tired listening, but it downloaded to 97% and then just sat there. I'll try again.

Thanks man, I dont like how alot of bands write for their fans either I think that takes everything out of the soul of music.:)
But yeah, give another try, I want to get some feedback :D lol.

Got it...I can only imagine how cool this wil be when it's finished. That's a pretty damn good recording for a rough mix. Even your "bass" sounds pretty cool. Love the guitar work, too, especially what's coming out of the left speaker. Drums sounds really good to me. Lots of nice changes keep it interesting even just instrumental. Love it. Hurry up and get some vocals on this thing.

Sounds good. Great mix. I really dig it. PM me when you get a version with vox up.

I'd like the guitars to have a bit more crunch - but that's just my taste.

Keep it up.

R O C K S

Nice tight rocking track you have here.
Love the tempo speed up!
The instruments have sort of a raw rocking feel to them... which "rocks" of course :D
I'm curious to hear how the vocals in this one... the structure sounds pretty crazy. Which I love crazy structures.
Sounds like there might be a few minor mixing details and some harshness, but you said it's "a rough mix" so that's not bad.

Good work, I enjoyed! Looking forward to hearing the vox with this.

Hey thanks alot guys. Yeah the left guitar is my fav parts of the song, it really puts me in a different place. I'm gonna get a vox version up probably in a couple weeks, and it'll make it totally better. Yeah it's just a rough mix, and i'm also mixing on Realistic Radio Shack speakers lol Thanks alot guys I really appreciate all the feedback!

applejax said:
Hey thanks alot man. I cnat believe you like the drums lol, i think they're really crap sounding...lol But thanks a bunch. Yeah the left guitar is my fav parts of the song, it really puts me in a different place. Thanks

The drums rock, man. I dig.

Ha, the way you talked about the drums in the original post I wasn't expected much, but then when I heard them I was like "whoa... cool!"

Nice work ;)

Yeah I dont really like the drums...it's only mono.. i want a much "liver" sound you know? But hey, it's only with 2 mics lmao! Thanks again.

Yeah, you didn't make the mistake of over compressing them or putting too much reverb. They sound raw and dry...Your snare and your playing remind me a bit of Stewart Copeland. In fact the song has a pogo-jumping Police feel to it in certain parts. For a rough mix, you're definitely on the right track.

Thanks Rami! I love Stewart and his style!... I love alot of raw sounds.. I dont like too much over comp'ed stuff lol. I love alot of older jazz and big band drum sounds too! Like I said I'm a drummer so I play everything from jazz to country to rock to punk to funk. I appreciate all music :)

A good way to get feedback is to turn your guitar up really loud and then face it towards the amp. You'll get feedback up the wazoo!! :)

Back