Trouble getting thoughts executed correctly

Malik161

Hi all. So this might not exactly relate to techniques but is more of a general concern I have with mixing . I've basically had a 2-3 songs mixed by professionals and each and every time I wasn't totally satisfied. I'm pretty new to recording music but I've put in a lot of hours and have definitely improved over time.

My main issue is not being satisfied when it comes to hearing my mixed vocals sent back by these professionals and they never really execute my ideas how I want, as if they're going off track. I'm not trying to say these guys are doing a bad job, but I feel like it's only me who can get the perfect sound. I've never mixed before, how could I possibly get it to sound better? I've spent hundreds of dollars and I'm still not seeing results. Do you suggest I mix my own stuff or keep on getting them revised (costs more)?

No knowing the full discussion between you and the professionals, usually when a client of mine say that they did not end up with what they wanted it usually comes from them not explaining what they did in fact want in a way I could understand.

Alan.

No knowing the full discussion between you and the professionals, usually when a client of mine say that they did not end up with what they wanted it usually comes from them not explaining what they did in fact want in a way I could understand.

Alan.

Usually I give references of other songs that i want it to sound similar to. But yeah, I can see that happening. Lack of communication

Not everything is about the mix. While the mix is important, there is also the source. What instruments, how did everyone play, was the source sound what was meant.

Then, when you do go into the mix, then there is still the way the mix engineer hears the source, even with a reference. Might not be the engineer, might be the player. Or it could be both.

The classic reference I always refer to was when a drummer brought in an album and said that he wanted his drums to sound like the album drums. I replied, "Do your drums sound like the album drums?" Of course they didn't, tape all over them, old skins, cheap drum kit, how was I going to make his drums sound like a top kit that they probably spent a day on in pre-production.

I did pull him a pretty good drum sound in the end, but different to the album sound he brought in.

Alan.

Hi all. So this might not exactly relate to techniques but is more of a general concern I have with mixing . I've basically had a 2-3 songs mixed by professionals and each and every time I wasn't totally satisfied. I'm pretty new to recording music but I've put in a lot of hours and have definitely improved over time.

My main issue is not being satisfied when it comes to hearing my mixed vocals sent back by these professionals and they never really execute my ideas how I want, as if they're going off track. I'm not trying to say these guys are doing a bad job, but I feel like it's only me who can get the perfect sound. I've never mixed before, how could I possibly get it to sound better? I've spent hundreds of dollars and I'm still not seeing results. Do you suggest I mix my own stuff or keep on getting them revised (costs more)?

Post the tracks. I'll be able to tell right away if the mix is shit and the guys don't have a clue what they're doing, or if the session was properly tracked, properly mixed, and merely a breakdown in style discrepancy or communication.

Where are you located? Yes, that does make a difference.

Usually I give references of other songs that i want it to sound similar to. But yeah, I can see that happening. Lack of communication

It might be worth taking a stab at mixing your own songs once or twice. If you can learn a little bit about what goes into the process, you might be better able to explain what it is you want.

It might be worth taking a stab at mixing your own songs once or twice. If you can learn a little bit about what goes into the process, you might be better able to explain what it is you want.

Yeah, I will be giving this a try now. I noticed a lot of artists started off mixing their own music. Bryson tiller mixed 'dont' himself with headphones in his living room.

Back