Tricking Tascam ES-50 to take in tach pulse from computer/lynx.

Europa

Greetings everybody,

Recently, I was able to get a very nice Tascam ATR-60/16 in spectacular condition, with remote, stands, and more! :) Great machine! However, I would like to hook up the machine to be slaved to Cubase. Two synchronizers I know of that work well to provide the user with complete syncing of the machine to the DAW are the Adams Smith Zeta 3 and the Timeline Micro Lynx, but they are harder than unobtanium to come by right now. At least I was lucky enough to find Tascam ES-50.

Now, I know that because there is no tach pulse coming from the master machine (since there is no master machine) to give the slave machine (which in my case would be my ATR-60) directions on how to go about synchronizing to the master when the ATR-60 is in fast rewind or fast forward mode, I am looking to somehow trick the ES-50 into receiving some sort of tach pulse from Cubase in order for the two transports to sync quickly and easily, as they would with a Zeta 3 or a Timeline Micro Lynx synchronizer. If anybody has achieved this type of backdoor solution to get the two system to sync via a Tascam ES-50, please let me know. Thanks.

If anyone else has had success with using any other types of synchronizers to slave a tape machine to a DAW, please let us know. The above mentioned synchronizers are the only ones that I was able to see working to slave a machine to a DAW. Thanks!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Great find....you'll have to upload some pics...I remember seeing a Tascam ATR80, a 24 track machine...looked lovely.

Would a Tascam Midiizer be able to do the job I wonder? It would be much easier just to stripe TR16 with any FSK or SMPTE code and sync Cubase to the ATR60 for midi applications. I'm not sure if this method would work where audio was concerned though. I've not really synced machine to machine before, other than Tascam Accessory 2 port stuff via a Tascam ATS500 (if anyone has an ATS500 for sale, I'll buy it). I synced a Tascam 688 and a 238 using this method and later two 238 machines.

I had a Midiizer once but I can't remember what I was syncing up....maybe the MS-16 I once had (which is similar to the ATR-60 by the looks of it).

Great find....you'll have to upload some pics...I remember seeing a Tascam ATR80, a 24 track machine...looked lovely.

Would a Tascam Midiizer be able to do the job I wonder? It would be much easier just to stripe TR16 with any FSK or SMPTE code and sync Cubase to the ATR60 for midi applications. I'm not sure if this method would work where audio was concerned though. I've not really synced machine to machine before, other than Tascam Accessory 2 port stuff via a Tascam ATS500 (if anyone has an ATS500 for sale, I'll buy it). I synced a Tascam 688 and a 238 using this method and later two 238 machines.

I had a Midiizer once but I can't remember what I was syncing up....maybe the MS-16 I once had (which is similar to the ATR-60 by the looks of it).
Right? Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply...but those listings were already sold. Thanks.

Easiest would be to record SMPTE to the 1" and send TC to the computer. Cubase chases the 1". This is called "Code only master." Tach pulses are too inaccurate to use for chasing. They were originally used to lock audio to video film projectors.

Wkrbee the ES-50 uses tach pulses for approximation of location when fast-winding and the tape is lifted from the heads and timecode is muted. This is how the ES-50 maintains approximate lock during fast wind. But the DAW doesn’t provide this when master, and the ES-50 doesn’t speak MTC. The OP wishes to have the DAW as master so is wondering if there is a way to replicate tach pulses in the DAW. I’ve advised the OP the answer is no, but the OP is free to get additional input. That’s what generated this thread.

Thanks for your replies everybody. As there are no Micro Lynxes for sale online at the moment, I'm looking at other options. There are plenty of Lynx II's for sale. Whoever has experience using a Lynx II to slave a tape to a DAW, please chime in, I'm sure we'd love to hear from you!

Same goes with the Adams Smith Model 2600.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Wkrbee the ES-50 uses tach pulses for approximation of location when fast-winding and the tape is lifted from the heads and timecode is muted. This is how the ES-50 maintains approximate lock during fast wind. But the DAW doesn’t provide this when master, and the ES-50 doesn’t speak MTC. The OP wishes to have the DAW as master so is wondering if there is a way to replicate tach pulses in the DAW. I’ve advised the OP the answer is no, but the OP is free to get additional input. That’s what generated this thread.
The ES-50 has a "learn" function which would require the Master- if the OP is locked into using the DAW as the Master- to receive and generate both TC and Tach pulses to complete the "learn" function. You can trick the ES-50 to run the setup if you loop the TC out to Master in on the ES-50. but without Tach pulses it will ignore Tach pulse input after setup. That's why I suggested "Code only Master", which the OP can do with no additional hardware purchases. He doesn't even need the ES-50 if his DAW will generate/accept SMPTE or MTC. The ATR spits out code, the DAW chases- and the DAW would locate much faster than having the ATR locate to DAW location. ES-50 compares Master and slave TC and generates micro adjustments to the capstan motor speed to stay locked to incoming TC. I think the OP is locked into the DAW as the Master because either he unfamiliar with the much easier option available to him, he's used to only working with the DAW, or he just wants to use the ES-50. It's also real easy to make a basic transport remote to control the ATR from in front of his computer. He also doesn't say if he has the ES-51 remote. The ES-50 is a PITA to setup and use without the ES-51.

The problem with slaving the DAW is often how it achieves adjustments to stay in sync. In many cases samples are added or dropped. In some cases, like with Cubase, if you read the fine print it freewheels when it’s the slave. In other words it doesn’t actually lock. Stein berg did this to maintain the integrity of the audio.

I agree it’s WAY easier/more simple to slave the DAW, but it either doesn’t accomplish actual sync lock, or it compromises the integrity of your digital audio. Slaving the ATR achieves actual sync lock and maintains the integrity of the digital audio. So, how one synchronizes their DAW and tape machine depends on their goals, resources and standards, IMO.

Back