Traynor amps???

GABritton

I've been researching some tube amps for a little bit now. I'd like to get a all-tube amp. I have about 700 or so to spend. I don't use a lot of effects. I have an old Boss DM-3 for delay, and a Boss blues driver. Play mostly straight rock, no metal. Comparable to Black Crowes. I need a good clean and a good overdrive, no uber-head scratching metal. There will be a lot of gigging (5-10 times a month). Defenitely needs to be roadworthy.

I really like what I've heard of the Traynor YCV series. I've tried the marshall AVT50, and the vox valvetronix stuff. They're okay, nothing too amazing. I liked the Vox sound better then the marshall, but the Traynor best overall. I know the reverb tank on the Traynor is solid state, but I can handle that.

Has anyone owned either the YCV20/40. I probably don't need 80 watts, being most clubs I play aren't that big, and I can always slap a mic on the amp.

Has anyone had any MAJOR problems w/ these amps? I've read a lot about people switching the tubes in them as soon as they get these amps. How much does that really help these particualr amps?

I know they're not the best out there, but overall are they a good deal? I want to keep this amp for years to come.

Thanks in advance guys!!

I've got the YCV80 and it is damn loud. It sounds AWESOME though. I went with this model because it has the scoop button on the overdrive channel, as well as the expander and brightness switches on the clean channel. Plus the direct out with speaker defeat, adjustable in and out trims on the effects loop, it was too good to pass up. I didn't need 80 watts, either, but I didn't see all of these options available on the lower-wattage models.

I love this amp, and the company. 2-year no-questions-asked transferrable warranty (even the tubes!), plus 10-year warranty on the chassis. Plus, great tone that you can't touch for the price. This thing sounds awesome when its wide open. If you keep the gain knob low, all you need is volume to get incredible distortion...kick in the boost and even with the gain down at 2 or 3, you can get some great heavy distortion. But, I normally use it for more of a classic crunch and it does this with aplomb.

My only complaint is that it is rattly. I tightened some obviously loose screws after I got it, but it still has some pretty noticeable rattles to it. I"m going to take it in to the shop and have them go to town on it to tighten whatever it is in there that's the culprit.

I'm still using the stock Sovtek tubes, but I'd love to swap them out once the warranty is out. Until then, I'll stick with the free service if anything goes wrong with them.

Tad,
Which YCV80 do you have 4x10 or 2x12? I'm concerned about being too loud in our practice area, which we do record in as well. It's a small 12 x 12 room. How does it handle low volumes? Oh yea, is it the Wine Red or black w/ silver face?

yeah i defenitely like the warranty!!!

I've tried out both the YCV40 and the YCV40WR, although the 40wr (the red one) costs more I really think the normal one sounds better. If I'm not mistaken the red one has different tubes which gives it a thinner sounding distortion, very fender-like. They both sound pretty good at lower volumes. You may also want to look at this

I have th ycv-40 with one 12". I've had it for about 2 or 3 years, I don't remember. I love everything about the way it sounds, and it is durable. I haul it around and play it alot. I've also done a little recording with it. It sounds pretty good recorded even at low volumes. The only problem I have had with it was that a friend pulled one of the tubes out to see what kind it was, and when he put it back the little key on it that keeps it turned the right way broke off and the tube was not put in theeright way. It shorted out the amp and fried something in there. I put the tube in right and replaced the fuse, and it played fine, except the standby didn't work anymore. I took to the place where I bought it and they sent it in and it got fixed for free. It took me a while to get it back though (I think 2 months, but that isn't terrible) When the company got it, they took it out of the box and it played fine, so they couldn't really figure it out. The dealer I bought it from had to call them up and tell them what was wrong for them to fix it, so that is why it took longer than expected. I got it back and it has worked fine since. No problems. I even accidently kicked it over really hard at a show since then, and nothing happended to it (but I was pretty upset with myself).
I always get compliments on the tone everywhere I play it. I would recommend the 40w 1-12. It is plenty loud, an dthe 2-10 version didn't push very much bass. the 1-12 is fuller sounding.

I actually haven't played the custom blue yet, the specs look good. I saw one the other day at Long & Mcquade (Canadian guitar store) so I'll make sure I play it next time I go.

I have the 2x12", black w/silver face. Its pretty loud. I practice in a room that's about 8'x12' or so, and if I have it up at recording levels (master at 9 o'clock), I have to shut it in a closet to be able to be in the room. It'll shake the house apart, and take your eardrums with it!

I think that the YCV80 has 1 more gain stage than the lower wattage models...it has a gain knob on the crunch channel, a volume knob per channel, and a master. I don't feel like its true character come out until the master is at least at 12 o'clock with the volume of the crunch channel at 9 o'clock. It's pretty loud, but I can at least bear to be in the room with it at these levels. It'll still rattle the dishes in the kitchen though!

I have a song that I recorded with it on the boost channel...if I can get proper hosting space I'll toss it up sometime.

GABritton said:
I've been researching some tube amps for a little bit now. I'd like to get a all-tube amp. I have about 700 or so to spend. I don't use a lot of effects. I have an old Boss DM-3 for delay, and a Boss blues driver. Play mostly straight rock, no metal. Comparable to Black Crowes. I need a good clean and a good overdrive, no uber-head scratching metal. There will be a lot of gigging (5-10 times a month). Defenitely needs to be roadworthy.

I really like what I've heard of the Traynor YCV series. I've tried the marshall AVT50, and the vox valvetronix stuff. They're okay, nothing too amazing. I liked the Vox sound better then the marshall, but the Traynor best overall. I know the reverb tank on the Traynor is solid state, but I can handle that.

Has anyone owned either the YCV20/40. I probably don't need 80 watts, being most clubs I play aren't that big, and I can always slap a mic on the amp.

Has anyone had any MAJOR problems w/ these amps? I've read a lot about people switching the tubes in them as soon as they get these amps. How much does that really help these particualr amps?

I know they're not the best out there, but overall are they a good deal? I want to keep this amp for years to come.

Thanks in advance guys!!

do you already have a cab, or are you looking for combo amps?

i don't know anything about traynors, but i'm going to make a couple suggestions about amps i do know.

I have a rivera knucklehead55 and i think it would do exactly what you want---minus reverb. i paid way too much for mine, but you can probably get one on ebay for 4 hundred bucks.......no more than 5.........there's also a rivera called an r55--it's a combo......i honestly haven't heard it, but i think it's probably safe to assume it sounds like the knucklehead, but with reverb. if you can find one to try out, you definitely should-or just buy it. i doubt you'll regret it.

OK, due to the kindness of my buddy, I was able to host an MP3 of a song that I did about a year ago with my LP Classic into my Traynor YCV80. The settings are approximately: gain - 3, volume - 8, treble - 2, middle - 5, bass - 5, master - 7, boost enabled, scoop enabled, miced w/an SM57 into an ART tube pre.

I'm still learning the ropes of recording, and I still had even more to learn a year ago. There are some timing flaws on the track..but enough apologizing, bacause I could do it all day :) The amp is heard on the choruses and the entire 2nd half of the song, starting at about 3:00 or so.

http://www.aarvid.com/tadpui/This Isn't Yesterday - Mix Down.mp3

Last edited:
Thanks tad...I'm at work, so I have to wait until I get home to listen, but thanks for all the feedback guys. I called a local shop yesterday and he has 2 of the 50watt Limited Edition Blue Traynors on the way. I'm going to check these out. It's similar to the 40 except EL34s instead of 5881s and a vintage 30 speaker, as well as being 50 watts. Also they have removed the presence knob and instead have added a MASTER fader, which I will use better than the presence knob.

Anyone else?

GABritton said:

search "Sovtek Mig" on e-bay ... those are your ticket ... if you shop around you can get the highly regarded "60" for below 300 bucks, then get a decent set of JJ-tubes from Bob at www.eurotubes.com ... and you still have 300 bucks to spare :D

believe me - this amp will make a lot of heads turn - just check out the harmony-central reviews.

best of luck
alfred

I'm definitely looking for a combo. i'd like to buy a new combo. I know I can find nice vintage stuff, but I really don't have the urge to get something used. There's always problems that come up, and if this Traynor has problems, there's the 2 year "you break it, we fix it" warranty, which is a big plus.

I've read a couple reviews about some "rattling" going on at high volumes, and trying to pin that down...anybody else had this prob?

Last edited:
Hey man I just re-read your original post and saw that you're going for a Black Crowes kind of sound...I posted the total wrong song to convince you that this amp can do that. I do have some other songs that show off the amp in a low-gain setting, but they're not presentable. I could post a clip or something for you if you care at all.

The song I posted is more alt-rock, higher gain stuff, probably not your cup of tea.

I was working for yorkville a little while back and i brought home the red 40, it blew past my expectations in a flash. Super loud for a 40 watt, amazing dist, the boost feature is sweet and their customer service is wonderful. To my knowledge, not including the blue one, there's 3 models. The main difference being speakers. I personally liked the sound of the red one best with the vintage 30 followed closely by the blue edition, however; i only heard it in the prototype stage.

I don't know if anyone cares, but they've got a 100 watt head coming out in the near future, look out marshall...

I have 3 guitar set-ups/rigs....one of them is a Traynor YCV-80. It definitely is a great amp capable of doing a lot-- sound, tone and volume wise....very impressive. I've been doing more recording these days than actual "playing" and was considering selling the Traynor on ebay to help offset some of my home studio costs...GABritton, if you are interested let me know. The amp is in absolute minty condition and would be coming from a responsible, trustworthy person, for much less than you could get it new.....good luck though, whichever you choose !! :)

Back